• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Villagers that went from hot to not and vice versa

i remember when Chrissy and Francine were both big, but now i dont rly see them as often. ppl would try to have both of them at the same time and i just never rly saw the appeal. they remind of a specific type of frosted cookie that i dont rly like, which is kind of a weird reason to dislike them. but its still my reason
Oh I love Chrissy! She was one of my first 3 villagers and the first one to give me her picture. She asked me to move several times because I had her for so long and about a week ago I decided to let her go, but I’ve missed her ever since, even tho I found Bunnie to replace her on a mistery island tour 😓

I agree with everyone there! Roald especially, I didn't even know he existed before NH lol
also wanted to add:

Tia! From what I remember about the new leaf days, she was fairly popular. Not Marshall popular, but she would occasionally make it to top tiers! Her lack of popularity surprised me the most.

Lolly + Rosie - they're cats so they're bound to be popular, but I feel like their popularity is not as high in NH? Rosie was probably popular before because of the movie but maybe that's worn off

Lucky - he definitely had his fans in NL but not nearly as much as NH. Ankha was the more popular one in NL, and I feel like they've switched places!

Ketchup - I remember Ketchup being fairly popular in NL? Could've just been hype around the welcome amiibo update, though. Same with Julia and Sylvanna. None of them seem very popular in NH, though

With the introduction of third-party Amiibo, it also affected the villager market.

I think Amiibo availability has a lot to do with popularity. Fan made Amiibos can be purchased at reasonable cost and even genuine Amiibos aren't horribly expensive (except for most popular ones).

However, I agree about Diana. I bought an Amiibo for her, but she isn't currently on either of my islands. I got her picture, and then moved her out. She's got a great design but I didn't warm to her as I have done with other snooty villagers like Whitney (the best! I can't believe some folks are dissing her), Ankha, Freya, and even Judy. I even liked Snooty a bit more than Diana, even though Snooty is not exactly cute. I also like Vivian but her house is not the nicest.

I think Ankha and the snooty wolves have nice facial animation. They make very cute or funny expressions that go with their dialogue. I don't remember thinking Diana had great facial expressions.

I also had Julian on my island for awhile but booted him after getting his picture. I didn't like that he had his eyes closed all the time. If he were a blind villager it would've made sense maybe but his dialogue doesn't indicate that he has a disability of any sort. So it seemed odd that his eyes were always closed. I liked his house, though. What a fun house!

I love Dobie. I tried booting him in favor of Kabuki but I then I kicked out Kabuki to get him back. Dobie is great and his house with the noir detective look, is just the best. I like that it has an Asian exterior with a modern interior. He's your old Japanese grandpa retired detective.

Chrissy and Francine are cute but their houses aren't the best. I don't really like the aqua / blue houses. Felicity and Merry have cuter houses for peppy villagers.

I had Audie for awhile but she wasn't my favorite. The aqua house I didn't care for, the interior isn't the nicest, and her color scheme is very bold. Also, I didn't like that she was frequently wearing sunglasses. Having said all that, I may bring her back at some point because I love wolf villagers.

I think Audie might be one of those villagers that went from hot to not. I remember when NH was still to be released, she was almost as popular, if not more so in some occasions, as Raymond. But once New Horizons was out for a couple of months, her popularity started dying and I remember reading threads that even said they weren't enjoying her as much as they'd thought they would. I even considered giving away my Audie at one point, but no one seemed to want her. I'm still considering moving her out, as I too lost interest. Her design is nice, but Idk...I just prefer Chrissy or another Peppy villager.

From what I have seen, a villager that lost some popularity is Rosie. She was one of my starters in WW and NL, and I remember being hyped because she was so cute. She was on so many wish lists and now I actually barely see her anywhere, and Raymond has become the ’better’ cat. I have seen a few Rosie giveaways recently, but even though I have had her in all my towns, I don’t want her in my island. I also am making an ostrich islamd though so :)

I agree with what others have said about Rosie seeming to be a less popular cat now. I've also seen Kiki being a lot more popular than I seem to remember! It seems like within the cat lineup there has been a lot of shifting opinions.

From what I have seen, a villager that lost some popularity is Rosie. She was one of my starters in WW and NL, and I remember being hyped because she was so cute. She was on so many wish lists and now I actually barely see her anywhere, and Raymond has become the ’better’ cat. I have seen a few Rosie giveaways recently, but even though I have had her in all my towns, I don’t want her in my island. I also am making an ostrich islamd though so :)

I agree with what others have said about Rosie seeming to be a less popular cat now. I've also seen Kiki being a lot more popular than I seem to remember! It seems like within the cat lineup there has been a lot of shifting opinions.

I guess people's tastes change from one generation to another. I am not sure if New Horizons players are a new breed. I came from New Leaf. As you can see, I still admire Rosie up until today! :D

I think some villagers that soared to popularity have the graphic upgrade of this game to thank for. They look so much better than compared when they were in new leaf. i think Dobie, fuchsia and erik are the ones that suddenly exploded in popularity i think

My personal observations- without commenting on villagers already mentioned regarding their status..

Not
Chevre: I think has gone down in popularity since NL. She was never ultra-popular like many of the ones already mentioned, but popular nonetheless. I'm seeing her less often.

Bunnie: I remember her being a lot more popular, but now it appears she's become pretty average.

All the octopi: It seems they have a much higher chance of spawn on mystery islands and consequently they are less sought after.

Hot
Vivian: I feel like more and more people are taking notice of Vivian lately as she was quite a bit less popular compared to the other wolves. I'd go as far as to argue she was the least popular of the wolves but is now getting some attention.

Sheep in general: I agree with @Honesta on this one. I personally liked sheep better previously with their scarves, it was super unique. Therefore, I like them less in NH but I feel they are getting more attention than ever from other players. I think this may be because of Dom, but in addition to Dom, I see Vesta, Stella, and Frita for instance popping up more often.

I think I might have remembered seeing Lily the frog being super popular in NL but I haven’t seen her once in NH. There was also Wolf Link but he didn’t come to NH.

When NL was released I remember most of the deer being popular dreamies, especially Fauna, now it's hard to see many people going after any bedsides Beau.

Also Kyle, Whitney, Wolfgang are now more overshadowed by Audie and Dobie.

Apollo and Merry were both villagers I randomly obtained before people were really going after them... I like them both a lot but now it feels like people just have them because they are popular.

Now that the 2.0 villagers have settled in, I'd like revive this and update my list! Please my keep in mind this is MY list, it's not in anyway objective, just my one-person observations and opinion, so please don't get offended. With that said:

Hot to (slightly)Not:

Raymond: Raymond is still very hot, but it seems like he became the third best option when Sasha and Shino were introduced. Raymond was once THE most popular villager since NH dropped, and on certain parts of the internet he was commanding 10s of millions of bells to adopt and tons of nmts just to SEE him. Then almost overnight, it seems like his fans preferred the newest shiny cute villagers. Now, while he still costs a lot of bells to adopt, the spotlight isn't as bright as before. At least he doesn't have to worry about being paraded around in a maid dress anymore.😅

Judy: Still very hot, but once the new villagers came in, she was slightly pushed to the background. Now she has a lot of competition from Ione, and especially Petri. I do think she'll win out against Petri though, since they share the same personality, and mice don't really stay popular over time for some reason, so I expect her to bounce back after a while.

Audie: Still pretty hot, but not nearly as much as she used to be. As a wolf(well...she's technically a fox) named after a real-world player, she'll always have her fans though, and will likely stay very popular for a while. .

Marshal: Sorry, who? lol, kidding. But with Sasha, Shino, Raymond, and Ione around, Marshal seems to be becoming slightly dismissed. He's still hot, but more like hot to intensely warm, instead of scorching hot like before.

Not to Hot:

Sasha: Out of nowhere, this adorable bunny just took over. He's new, he's cute, he looks like a girl, and loves fashion. Of course everyone loves him.

Shino: New character, popular species type, unique design for her type. Her hotness is apparent and seems inevitable.

Coco: Coco doesn't belong on this list. Since her intro to the series she has always been popular. But with the reintroduction of gyroids, it seems like more players are taking to appreciate her creepy and unique look.

Kabuki: Kabuki always had his fans because of his unique design, but it seems like lately, he's getting a lot more recognition than he used to.

it's definitely interesting to see how these things change over time - obviously people tend to prefer newer villagers, but it's always fun to see random villagers just suddenly gain a lot of traction. my contribution to the original NL to NH popularity switches - Merengue! in my head i remember her as a very common dreamie, and i remember one year i reset to do the one year challenge and was absolutely over the moon when i got her as a starter, but i feel like i don't see as many people interested in her nowadays!

I saw Pietro in a lot of NL towns, but significantly less in NH. I wonder if that's due to the sheep designs being changed to make them less floofy and stuffing them into shirts instead of scarves.

Back several years ago when I traded amiibo cards, some of the most popular ones were Bob, Punchy, Julian, Kiki, Lucky, and Ankha. I wouldn't say they're "nots", but I think they've fallen a bit in the popularity polls. Erik, Pekoe, Mitzi, Olivia, Goldie and Rosie are still popular, but not like they once were.

I still love Diana, and have her in my town, but I do agree that the black dress and thick black rimmed glasses don't do her any favors. She looks both too matronly and goth. Fauna and Diana used to be about equal.

Those that have really jumped in popularity: Genji, Merry, and Roald. Also a lot of the new villagers have nice likeable designs and they are new, so it's understandable they are in the top spots (Sasha, Shino, Ione, Audie, Judy, Marlo, Raymond, and Sherb.)

I remember the absolute mayhem of the hype around raymond, i never got the hype about him myself i always though he was just a ‘meh’ character. And people were trading hundreds of NMT’s for him for months and months people would be searching for him. Then suddenly he sorta….. dropped off thr face of the intrrnet pages for me as i stopped hearing about him and stopped seeing people offering ridiculous price‘s for him.

(image not mine, found on ecosia image search) even youtubers made videos on how to avoid getting scammed when buying a raymond villager…..
270DB176-B14A-4E53-ACB9-072EBDDE6DC8.jpeg

how time changes things huh?

I remember the absolute mayhem of the hype around raymond, i never got the hype about him myself i always though he was just a ‘meh’ character. And people were trading hundreds of NMT’s for him for months and months people would be searching for him. Then suddenly he sorta….. dropped off thr face of the intrrnet pages for me as i stopped hearing about him and stopped seeing people offering ridiculous price‘s for him.

(image not mine, found on ecosia image search) even youtubers made videos on how to avoid getting scammed when buying a raymond villager…..
View attachment 419501
this can be highly credited to the new amiibos, if you have a few dollars to spare to get Raymond (either get lucky with the card pack, or make your own for personal use, which costs next to nothing) you will get him the easy way.

now there is an over abundance of Raymonds for sale which were moved in by amiibo by some players that hope to sell them for the previous price. which isn't happening.

View attachment 419501

I was so surprised at how quickly Raymond fell off. Even Marshal and Nana lasted between games, Raymond was done after less than a year. Still popular, but yeah, everyone's riding the Sasha and Shino train now. Time really does change things.

Zoe. I thought she was so ugly when I first saw her, but I hung out with her on my friend's island yesterday and fell in love. I got her today for my island too.

Back