• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

tips on filling empty space?

mouthrat

wild sprout
Bells
Famous Mushroom
Famous Mushroom
Famous Mushroom
i've had this island for like, 2.5 years now? and i still have a lot of empty space. i've seen lots of build ideas on pinterest and instagram but i don't have the skill set/practice needed for those higher quality builds. if anyone has any recommendations on filling my empty space for beginners at building (i have bells and miles to spend, and a LOT of items just sitting in my storage that could absolutely be displayed). thanks sm!!

Usually with an empty space I tend to fill them with a flower garden.
i think this is a really great idea and i would totally do that but my island is quite literally overflowing with flowers that i haven't fenced in with anything so i think adding even more would make my island look cluttered 😭

i think this is a really great idea and i would totally do that but my island is quite literally overflowing with flowers that i haven't fenced in with anything so i think adding even more would make my island look cluttered 😭
To better explain how I make Flower Gardens you'll have to visit both of my islands in the signature to see how it is. Its kinda hard to explain even for myself.

What sorts of areas do you already have on your island? Do you have a dream address? 😊

Yeah, I'd be curious if you have a dream address and if you could post a picture of your map! Tell us what your island is like and etc. I was in a similar rut too where I had two bald spots on my island that sat empty for the 2 years. But I just recently filled them in (this week) which makes me a little sad because I am now like 99% finished with my island, haha.

Would also love to see a dream address or some pictures! And what theme are you going for? :]
When I fill empty spaces I try to think of my theme and what items would fit. My current island is sort of a “desolate” town so I filled up some spaces with little things like garden faucets, DIY rocks, trees/shrubs/flowers, carts, cars, bottles, etc. If they’re bigger spaces, you can place things like picnics, seats and tables, or the like. There are some areas where you don’t really need to fill them, for example forest clearings where you can just place leaf piles.

Would also love to see a dream address or some pictures! And what theme are you going for? :]
Yeah, I'd be curious if you have a dream address and if you could post a picture of your map!
Do you have a dream address?
so, my main goal with this island was to have a cottage core type of vibe. i already have a few cute little areas (picnic blanket, little date area, rainbow flower garden) but as i mentioned before i definitely would want to add more. i have a dream address that hasn't been updated in a few months, but not much has changed since so it won't be too far off. let me know your thoughts!!
2859-6221-3102

I really like your airport entrance, the cute picnic area, the placement of your shops (behind the river), and the paths in front of your shops! I also like the way you've used signs for Redd, your vegetable garden and fruit trees.

I'm not sure what you've updated since your dream address, but have you thought about adding decorations to the outside of the homes? I was thinking especially fencing, paths and trees/flowers/shrubs. I've found that decorating around each of the the individual homes really fills out quite a lot of space!

You could also use the fencing and paths to connect areas, like from your entrance to the town centre/shops, etc. Because some of your houses are in a line, you could make streets/paths. For ease of travelling around the island, I think it would be good to have a bridge or stepping stones on the south side of the island, across the river that runs north to south! I really, really love what you did with the stepping stones on the north side of the island!

I think your island is cute, and your villager lineup is really cute too! 😊

Map in case anyone wants it! 😊
2023100715234200-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

thank you so much for taking the time to go through my island, i really really appreciate it! im gonna hold onto those ideas and see where i can go with them from here. do you happen to have any specific path and fence recommendations?

thank you so much for taking the time to go through my island, i really really appreciate it! im gonna hold onto those ideas and see where i can go with them from here. do you happen to have any specific path and fence recommendations?
I really committed to not using any designs from the design portal, so I've only used the standard paths or some really bad paths I made myself, but I've seen a lot of amazing islands on here, so I'm sure someone will have some recommendations! ☺️

Oh, for the fence recommendations, I'm a big fan of the country fence, but if you like the cottage-y vibe, I do like that the simple wooden fence has coloured variations. I think the white simple wooden fence has those quaint cottage feels.

I had a lot of parts with just empty space also. Like the above users mentioned I made heaps of gardens. I would also say to look online at all the furniture you can unlock and see what you can collect to make in your garden designs.

if you have enough time, you can rearrange your rocks into a rock garden so they are easy to access! you can make it look all magical and fancy, and its an easy way to find your money rock quickly!

So, I dreamt of your island and I would definitely start placing down paths. I think for cottagecore, the natural Path custom design would obviously work well. You'd have to explore that area and what type of look you want since there is now tons of different variations of it. It would help figure out what little nooks you want, how you want trees to obscure or wrap around sections. Terraforming helps a lot too with filling space and corralling the player along.
driftwood.png

On your map, I roughly scribbled ideas down. If you have an art program or you can just use paint; this helps to visualize how you want others and yourself to navigate the island. Your original map, on the right side had this long, straight pathway to the secret beach and I found it not exciting. You had this heart pond, and I thought why not blow that up bigger. Make it more special. It can be a magical forest there. A villager could live there. A lot of possibilities.

I'm also not a big fan of giant fruit tree orchards. Your museum could be there or anything really. I think you could get away with dispersing your fruit trees across your island. It would just help add variation and color since we only have 3 different trees. But if you prefer your fruits trees there, then it's fine too.
F70HXHKboAAhz_P

I think your airport is a good start and you could follow through with more of the ruined pillars and the other pieces in the set. I could see the whole bottom left be romantic ruins and it can slowly transition to something else.

F70HXHXbYAAhIp_

Maybe for this picnic area, could be obscured by more trees, so it has that cozier aspect. You could even use cliffs to enclose it more. Think about if you want a main path leading here or a hidden path. That's why I think paths are really the foundation to building up your island.

It's just one of those things you have to just jump in and start exploring. It's just going to be a lot of trial and error. One program I used a lot when I was beginning to design my island was the Happy Island Designer. You can upload your island map into this and draw over it.

water is the surefire never-gonna-look-bad solution to all empty spots one doesn't know what to do with, in my experience

then once you get an idea, you can just unwater as much as needs unwatering and go from there

How about adding in a zen garden with bamboo and a waterfall? I personally want to do this but I think it’s going to take a lot of time to set up and I would need to move a bunch of stuff as well.

I haven't seen your dream island yet, but thought i just shared some ideas i used myself.

I made a big french garden in one of my big empty spaces, its pretty easy and it divides into multiple smaller corners/areas.
Those are easier to manage with just a few items.

I also have this big fountain place which looks complicated but is actually pretty easy.

I also made a little gnome village with gnomes and doll houses, you can use some of the fall furniture as well to decorate that.

I also have a community park with a little pond, benches, a little theatre and a community garden.

You can check the photos or visit my DA if you want a good look :)
island layout:
EyX_GHSVcAEpyAw.jpeg

EF-3 is community park
EF-5 is french gardens
C-5 is fountain area
Camping ground is where gnome forest is :)

EjoqgsqU4AIHHml.jpg
fountain area

EjorUo0UYAINvp_.jpg
part of french gardens

EyZSAZfU8AA8M-3.jpeg

Gnomeforestin background

Back