• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

🐋 Sewing Space Whales 🐋

Sadly, the cut pieces of my space whale have been sitting next to the sewing machine for over a week now because I've been distracted. 😔 The good news is, the thing I've been distracted with has been learning to crochet.

He might not be a sewn space whale, but I hope you don't mind me posting him here, so he can join the TBT space whale pod anyway! 🥰🐳💜 This is only the second thing I've crocheted, so... I did my best lol.

00LYGzx.jpg

HUHjXte.jpg

d42gymJ.jpg

mW1Dw9Q.jpg

Sadly, the cut pieces of my space whale have been sitting next to the sewing machine for over a week now because I've been distracted. 😔 The good news is, the thing I've been distracted with has been learning to crochet.

He might not be a sewn space whale, but I hope you don't mind me posting him here, so he can join the TBT space whale pod anyway! 🥰🐳💜 This is only the second thing I've crocheted, so... I did my best lol.

00LYGzx.jpg

HUHjXte.jpg

d42gymJ.jpg

mW1Dw9Q.jpg
He’s adorable! Sewn or not welcome to the pod 🐳 I honestly know very little about crocheting but from the images it looks like you did a great job. Also if it’s any consolation I’ve been planning to do a space narwhal since I made the horn but am only now getting to it 😂

BB34915D-2A2D-435A-8E57-E51991A57662.jpeg

Narwhal update: sew many pins…
I have done all the machine sewing, spent an entire day looking for affordable safety eyes online, and pinned the belly piece to to the body, yay!
Pin by numbers then pin between those points. Roll the tail and tail fins back over a finger while pinning (and later while sewing).
636E0D6E-2ABB-40E5-A49F-BC1210748682.jpeg40B49222-18FF-4452-8B0B-F211895ED35C.jpegF8EACC78-999C-4ECE-BF67-A7D213BB5817.jpegB7009C1F-994D-4150-BD2C-E8464E0DDD1C.jpeg
A space whale star to whoever can guess the amount of pins I used to attach the belly piece 🤣

Last edited:
Narwhal Update: 🎶 The Eyes Arrived 🎶
6F30BC4B-7822-4CDD-8CD7-A9E51D135250.jpeg

The final piece of the puzzle arrived at last: the missing eyes. And with that I present my new friend the Space Narwhal Plush. I took a ton of pictures of the making process this time that I’ll gladly post if anyone is interested in that (or if I just feel like it 😆). I also plan to update the OP with new images and my battle tested updated horn attachment notes soon.

00LYGzx.jpg

HUHjXte.jpg

d42gymJ.jpg

mW1Dw9Q.jpg

Narwhal Update: 🎶 The Eyes Arrived 🎶
View attachment 513811
The final piece of the puzzle arrived at last: the missing eyes. And with that I present my new friend the Space Narwhal Plush. I took a ton of pictures of the making process this time that I’ll gladly post if anyone is interested in that (or if I just feel like it 😆). I also plan to update the OP with new images and my battle tested updated horn attachment notes soon.
Ahhh these are so adorable!! 😭
That's genuinely amazing for only being your second attempt at crochet S.J. 😊 And I love how the horn turned out on the narwhal!!

I would love to attempt this at some point, maybe when my holidays come round. >: D

Ahhh these are so adorable!! 😭
That's genuinely amazing for only being your second attempt at crochet S.J. 😊 And I love how the horn turned out on the narwhal!!

I would love to attempt this at some point, maybe when my holidays come round. >: D

Aaaaa, thank you so much! 😭💖 Currently working on a second space whale using a different pattern, but it's too early to tell how it's going! 😅🐳

You totally should, join the space whale pod! Feel free to post on this thread or DM me if you end up trying it out and have any questions. And thank you 💜, I’m really happy with how the horn turned out for the narwhal version.
Post automatically merged:

Aaaaa, thank you so much! 😭💖 Currently working on a second space whale using a different pattern, but it's too early to tell how it's going! 😅🐳
If you don’t mind me asking: what pattern did you end up using? Did you draft your own or find one you liked? (Mostly asking cause I’m curious how much I over-complicated things by drafting my own 😂)

Time to learn how to Sew ^^; ♡
Yes, join our space whale pod 🐳 But in all seriousness if you have any questions feel free to ask, I’m not a sewing maestro but I can definitely give a few pointers.

Last edited:
You totally should, join the space whale pod! Feel free to post on this thread or DM me if you end up trying it out and have any questions. And thank you 💜, I’m really happy with how the horn turned out for the narwhal version.

If you don’t mind me asking: what pattern did you end up using? Did you draft your own or find one you liked? (Mostly asking cause I’m curious how much I over-complicated things by drafting my own 😂)

Yes, join our space whale pod 🐳 But in all seriousness if you have any questions feel free to ask, I’m not a sewing maestro but I can definitely give a few pointers.

I have never drafted a sewing pattern before, so I am in total awe that you were able to draft your own! 😭 The horn came out exceptionally cute on your narwhal! It looks so good. 💜 For my current work-in-progress, I'm using Simplicity Pattern S9570: Here (I'm using the narwhal pattern, but I've excluded the horn and the lip from the pattern. I also shrunk the pattern to 65% of the original size. I think it's a better size for the whale, but it's also accidentally made it more complicated to sew, because the nap of the minky is so thick, and I've never sewn minky before! I'm also in fear of ruining the whole thing when I add the star separately, which is why I'm procrastinating on it. 😭)

Also, for anyone interested in crocheting, I used this tutorial for my completed crochet space whale: Here

I have never drafted a sewing pattern before, so I am in total awe that you were able to draft your own! 😭 The horn came out exceptionally cute on your narwhal! It looks so good. 💜 For my current work-in-progress, I'm using Simplicity Pattern S9570: Here (I'm using the narwhal pattern, but I've excluded the horn and the lip from the pattern. I also shrunk the pattern to 65% of the original size. I think it's a better size for the whale, but it's also accidentally made it more complicated to sew, because the nap of the minky is so thick, and I've never sewn minky before! I'm also in fear of ruining the whole thing when I add the star separately, which is why I'm procrastinating on it. 😭)

Also, for anyone interested in crocheting, I used this tutorial for my completed crochet space whale: Here
Don’t be too awed of my pattern drafting skills, it was like 90% blind flailing 🤣 (the rest being 9% glaring at my phone as if it is personally responsible for the google image results it displays, and 1% theorizing geometry to actually draw out a pattern). Thank you tho, you’re so sweet 🥰.

The simplicity pattern looks like it would be easier to construct but if this project taught me anything it’s that appearances can be deceiving 😂. I feel you on minky being a beast to work with, I’ve used it on previous projects and the pile is so floof that pinning becomes a test of sanity. And I can totally relate to your star anxiety, and when I finally went for it I ended up hating the result (first attempt was to attach it by machine, it did not end well cause apparently I can’t work my own machine 🤦‍♀️). But thankfully seam rippers are a thing! If you don’t like how the star looks you can always rip it off and try again 😊

You got this! But if there’s something you think I can help with feel free to ask, I’m curious how that pattern will turn out as a space whale 🐋

as soon as I saw this thread I knew I wanted to create a whale, I recently got a sewing machine and gave it a go!

I'm big on upcycling clothes by painting on them and now hopefully reworking them completely, I cut the pieces out from some old dungarees and I was going to paint the star/ extra details. Unfortunately, I struggled LOL so didn't bother in the end BUT this is my first sewing project and first time using the sewing machine so I won't be too critical! I managed to sew the flippers on the inside LMAO and ripped the tail when flipping it, at that point I wasn't really bothered about it looking neat so I then stuffed it with denim scraps and gave it to my lil dog who can wreck it some more 🐶💕

IMG-3444.jpg
IMG-3445.jpg

In the future, when I've hopefully got more skills, I'd like to revisit this and make a proper cute friend 🥺

as soon as I saw this thread I knew I wanted to create a whale, I recently got a sewing machine and gave it a go!

I'm big on upcycling clothes by painting on them and now hopefully reworking them completely, I cut the pieces out from some old dungarees and I was going to paint the star/ extra details. Unfortunately, I struggled LOL so didn't bother in the end BUT this is my first sewing project and first time using the sewing machine so I won't be too critical! I managed to sew the flippers on the inside LMAO and ripped the tail when flipping it, at that point I wasn't really bothered about it looking neat so I then stuffed it with denim scraps and gave it to my lil dog who can wreck it some more 🐶💕

IMG-3444.jpg
IMG-3445.jpg

In the future, when I've hopefully got more skills, I'd like to revisit this and make a proper cute friend 🥺
I love your little denim whale so much 🐳!! Give yourself a lot of credit: this is not an easy project and you did it with a very unforgiving material. I would be happy to help you out if you want to give it another go but given that this was your first attempt I think he looks great, and will be a great snuffle companion for your pup.

I love upcycling and modifying old clothes/plushies, it’s actually how I first got into sewing as a hobby, so seeing this take on the space whale absolutely sung to my little trash goblin soul. I love the idea of painting on fabric for such a project, admittedly I’ve only done a tiny bit of fabric painting but as accent details but what your describing sounds perfect. In the future I would recommend using a less stiff material for plushies like old sweatshirts or hoodies, maybe even tshirts, as those materials are so much easier to flip smaller shapes when sewing than more rigid things like denim.

Thank you so much for trying out my pattern and taking the time to share with our pod 🐋

Back