• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

๐Ÿ‹ Sewing Space Whales ๐Ÿ‹

Freya_Druid

Living noob; dead expert
Bells
New Leaf Token
Perfect Orange
Perfect Pear
Perfect Peach
Perfect Cherry
Galaxy Swirl
Gold Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Ocean Pearl
1693161199268.png
Space Whale Plush's For All, Huzzah!
1693161199268.png

Continue onward if sewing patterns and Space Whale's are among your interests...

IMG_6764.jpg

1693161199268.png
Space Camp Bell Tree has been memorable for many reasons, but none perhaps more-so than the mighty Space Whale Plush collectible. In honor of International Space Cetacean's earning first place in the crew rankings I asked my crewmates if any of them would like to see my attempt at creating a sewing pattern for the beloved Space Whale Plush, to which I got an immediate response encouraging that I try.
1693161199268.png
Below is a 2-part pair of downloadable pngs of the pattern I came up with. Itโ€™s not perfect but hopefully this will help anyone who wants to make themselves their very own space whale. If you use this pattern please send me a pick of what you make! Feel free to ask questions on this as Iโ€™m sure my attempt at pattern drafting is mostly just confusing ๐Ÿ˜‚.

Space Whale-Narwhal Plush Pattern-1.pngSpace Whale-Narwhal Plush Pattern-2.png12699.png

1693161199268.png
Prepare Pattern Pieces

• mark out and cut pattern pieces:
    • 1 x Face out of spacey fleece
    • 2 x Side out of spacey fleece
    • 4 x Flippers out of spacey fleece
    • 1 x Belly out of lighter spacey (or water) fleece
    • 1 x Star out of pale yellow fleece
  • sew up center dart of Face
  • hand fell Star to right side of Face; align bottom center in-point to top of Face dart.
  • optional: add stuffing under Star before completing felling stitch attaching it to Face
1693161199268.png
Assemble Body

• pin one side of Face to one Side from 0 marker to 1 marker; sew
  • pin second side of face to second Side from 0 marker to 1 marker; pin Sides together from 1 marker to 2 marker; sew all pinned seams
1693161199268.png
Assemble Flippers

• pin 2 sets of Flippers together and sew all sides except short flat one
  • optional: thread mark light side pattern line to be visible from right side
  • flip Flippers right side out and stuff
1693161199268.png
Complete Assembly

• pin Flippers to right sides of Sides 5 marked corner to 5 marker
  • pin Belly to everything: start at 0 and 4 markers for alignment
  • sew (recommend hand sewing as machine sewing will flatten the structural shaping of the tail)from 0 marker to 4 marker; for all of tail (markers 4 to 3 to 2 to 3 to 4) roll fabric back over a finger as you sew to maximize shaping
1693161199268.png
Finishing Touches

• flip right side out (remember to pull out tail flipper corners completely)
  • mark where you want the eyes to be and install; you may have to cut a small slit (especially if you do no own an awl) to accommodate the eye shanks
  • stuff
  • optional: stuff tail flippers with polyfil then stuff the rest of the tail with weighted beads (this will help the final plush balance properly when sitting on a flat surface)
  • sew the final seam (0 marker to 0 marker) with a ladder stitch

IMG_6722.PNGIMG_6909.jpg
Another highlight of Space Camp Bell Tree was the incredible outpouring of camp fanart. If you were also captivated by @Cheremtasy 's Space Narwhal Plush (see above) then you may be interested in the following modifications of my construction notes that will allow you to create your very own Space Narwhal Plush.
IMG_6907.jpg

1693161199268.png
Prepare Narwhal Horn
  • mark out and cut 1 Narwhal Horn piece out of pale yellow fleece
  • fold in half (right side together) then sew the small curves and straight edges
  • turn right side out
  • cut a length of floss (can also just use plain thread), knot 1 end, and use a tapestry or other large needle to thread the floss through the hollow horn and out the end of the small curved seam at the tip of the horn
  • stuff horn
  • run gathering thread along final unsewn seam at bottom edge of horn and pull taught (the bottom should nor be cinched but not fully closed)
  • plot where the floss will cross the straight seam on underside of horn (approximately 3 points plus the base of the horn)
  • wrap flow tightly around horn, securing at marked points with a single knotted backstitch (leave a little excess floss for final stage
1693161199268.png
Attach Narwhal Horn

• I attached the Horn in 'Finishing Touches' step to avoid having to handle the stuffed horn inside the plush while sewing and the challenge of flipping the plush with the horn already attached, specifically I waited until the plush was completely stuffed before attaching the horn
  • use pins to mark out placement of Horn on Face
  • ladder stitch the cinched base of the Horn to the Face piece, aligning the bottom seam of Horn to the very top of Face dart
  • wrap the remaining floss around the base of the horn and secure with knotted backstitch (conceal tail end of floss inside plush)

Here are the materials I used to construct this guy. Please note that while Iโ€™ve provided links for everything all italicized items I already had in my stash and thus have linked to the closest match I could find. Also note that these links are all to a single US chain store that absolutely overmarks their products so do not feel bad about making the most of coupons and promotions if you do purchase directly from them!
Space Fleece
Belly Fleece
Yellow Fleece
18 mm Eyes
Stuffing
Technically Optional: Weighted Stuffing ~important for balancing the final plush. (see Q&A for more details)
Optional Temporary Fabric Pencil
Yellow Thread
Purple Thread
Optional: Yellow Floss ~only used for Narwhal horn; can be substituted with yellow thread

As I get questions I will update this section so ask away!
1693161199268.png
What size should I print the pattern?
I have updated the pattern to accommodate printer margins so all you have to do is print it on standard letter size paper. Unfortunately this accommodation (and the addition of the narwhal horn) means that the pattern is now spread across 2 pages, however the original margin-less single page pattern is included in the 'Edits & Old Versions' tab. If you are interested in creating a larger or smaller Space Whale Plush the pattern is scalable, just remember to scale everything proportionately.

1693161199268.png
How much fabric will I need?
If you aren't horribly fussy about pattern matching (like I was) then you can likely get away with 1/2 yard of the space fleece (at a 58" wide bolt), a minimum of 5 inches (about 1/6 of a yard) of the ocean or belly piece fleece, and you only need a 3โ€ x 3โ€ patch of the yellow fleece. (Provided you aren't changing the scale of the plush)

1693161199268.png
Why is the weighted stuffing important?
While the weighted stuffing is not technically required for the construction of this plush, it is very important to the final balance of the plush when sat on a flat surface. Without the weighted stuffing the plush will fall forward unless propped up somehow, this is because the plush is top heavy in design and required the counter-weight to balance nicely unsupported. If you're on a tight budget or just don't mind having a forward flopping whale then the weighted stuffing is not necessary.

1693161199268.png
What is this patterns seam allowance?
This pattern is drafted net, so that means that the pattern does not include any seam allowance. I did that so when you trace the pattern you will have an exact line to follow as you are sewing. You can also choose the exact amount of seam allowance you need to add based on your own preference and how much your fabric is prone to fraying (fleece isn't normally fray prone, but other fabrics like flannel are).
Note: I cut the pattern with approximately 1/4 inch seam allowance, except the star which I actually cut net. This is because the star was not turned and felled but merely felled down as-is. I could get away that that decision due to the fact that the yellow fleece I used doesn't seem to fray, however if you use a fray-prone fabric then you will need to turn over the edges and thus will need a seam allowance.

1693161199268.png
What grain should I cut the pattern on?
I cut all my pieces on the straight grain (parallel to the salvage edge) according to the pattern orientation of my original pattern (see 'Edits & Old Versions'), however if you want to buy less yardage you can cut on the cross-grain to conserve fabric. Note that this will change the direction of the pile, however most fleece is not very noticeable in the directionality so that shouldn't be a problem.

1693161199268.png
Why isn't the tail lining up?

You have just discovered the hardest part of this pattern! The tail end of the Belly pattern piece was drafted with a lot of extra ease to enable the tail to flop up and over in the final plush. This unfortunately means that it is a challenge to align the belly tail to the body tail. I recommend starting by pinning the corners (pinning perpendicular to the pattern lines will require more pins but also be more precise), then curl both layers of fabric back over a finger to align the pattern and pin. FYI: if you're anything like me then you will need a metric ton of pins.

Special thanks to:
1693161199268.png
@Mick for being a fabulous co-cabin leader, and of course for creating the original Space Whale Plush collectible
1693161162294.png

1693161199268.png
@Kitsuragi for encouraging me to cross post my pattern from our crew quarters
1693161199268.png
@Aquilla for asking wonderfully insightful questions (that I fully overlooked) and being the first to implement my pattern
1693161199268.png
@~Kilza~ @Halloqueen @Vsmith @Iris_T @S.J. @kayleee @Bui @Snek and @Bluelady for encouraging me to go for it and create this pattern in the first place
1693161199268.png
All of my fellow
International Space Cetaceans for being wonderful teammates and making this event truly an experience to remember!

Edit 9/04/2023: I'm updating the pattern to be more printer friendly and to include an optional narwhal horn modification. This is the original version of the pattern I had uploaded that equates to the exact size of a standard letter size paper (8.5" x 11") with no margins:
Space Whale Plush Pattern.png

Last edited:
I had already dropped a reaction on your post in the camp fanart thread but honestly that doesn't properly convey how much I love this! There's something incredible about seeing my silly little drawing made into an actual physical thing, I never would have expected that ๐Ÿ˜… You did such an amazing job at it as well, 10/10 on sewing skills. first the snake costume and now this... ๐ŸŒŸ

I will definitely want to attempt this at some point and I'll be watching to see the results of anyone else having a go. ๐Ÿ‘€

I had already dropped a reaction on your post in the camp fanart thread but honestly that doesn't properly convey how much I love this! There's something incredible about seeing my silly little drawing made into an actual physical thing, I never would have expected that ๐Ÿ˜… You did such an amazing job at it as well, 10/10 on sewing skills. first the snake costume and now this... ๐ŸŒŸ

I will definitely want to attempt this at some point and I'll be watching to see the results of anyone else having a go. ๐Ÿ‘€
This is honestly so sweet, thank you so much! ๐Ÿ˜ญ I saw the initial reacted but I wanted to give you proper credit for your original creation (apologies for the back to back tagging). Yes, please try it out, and Iโ€™ll also be keeping an eye out for what may come of this thread ๐Ÿ˜†
Post automatically merged:

OMG I am OBSESSED!!! These are sooo stinking cute!!! ๐Ÿคฉ
Thank you!

your whale is so well-made and professional looking that i initially thought you had bought it from somewhere when i first saw the lil cutie in the camp fanart thread, so i was absolutely astounded and so, so impressed to find out that you made it yourself!

it is so adorable, and such a lovely token of camp and your crew to have with you! i love how you went with a darker galaxy palette for his designโ€” it really helps make the star pop even more! you did such an amazing job, you should feel proud! ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ’œ

your whale is so well-made and professional looking that i initially thought you had bought it from somewhere when i first saw the lil cutie in the camp fanart thread, so i was absolutely astounded and so, so impressed to find out that you made it yourself!

it is so adorable, and such a lovely token of camp and your crew to have with you! i love how you went with a darker galaxy palette for his designโ€” it really helps make the star pop even more! you did such an amazing job, you should feel proud! ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ’œ
Thank you so much, this is so sweet ๐Ÿฅน

IT'S SOOO CUTE!!!!! I'm definitely saving this page. I doubt that my machine will be able to handle fleece, but I will have to try with cotton fabric. I'll just have to get my room/sewing station organized again....

IT'S SOOO CUTE!!!!! I'm definitely saving this page. I doubt that my machine will be able to handle fleece, but I will have to try with cotton fabric. I'll just have to get my room/sewing station organized again....
Thank you! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have and post anything you create (if youโ€™re comfortable doing so of course).

Thank you for making such detailed and well organised instructions! I finally got all components I need together and will make a first attempt today! I got soo much fabric I think I could make at least 10 ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿคฃ (which is good so I have room to mess up). I have never sewn anything beyond a rectangle bag, so wish me luck lmao!

Not too impressed by the space fabric as its very light and more pastel purple than dark blue - it looked much darker in the pictures ๐Ÿฅฒ hope it still turns out cute.

IMG_9351.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for making such detailed and well organised instructions! I finally got all components I need together and will make a first attempt today! I got soo much fabric I think I could make at least 10 ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿคฃ (which is good so I have room to mess up). I have never sewn anything beyond a rectangle bag, so wish me luck lmao!

Not too impressed by the space fabric as its very light and more pastel purple than dark blue - it looked much darker in the pictures ๐Ÿฅฒ hope it still turns out cute.

View attachment 512219
Yay! Good luck and remember to take your time (speaking as someone with pleanty of experience speed-stress-sewing ๐Ÿ˜‚)
If you got the fabric similar to what I was working with then hopefully when you unfold it there will be some nice darker areas with a bit more blue (my fabric ended up looking like Swiss cheese just so I could get at the right colored patches ๐Ÿ˜‚). Iโ€™m sure it will still turn out cute regardless tho!
Post automatically merged:

Oh my gosh, I read this as SeaWing Space Whales
I WANT ONE AHHHGHAGHAHHHHHHHHH
Thank you! Go forth and make yourself a space whale, space whales for all!

Last edited:
IMG_9367.jpeg
IMG_9365.jpeg

Thar she blowsโ€ฆ This is Bean ๐Ÿ‘๏ธโญ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๏ธand she only has one brain cell, which is currently away dancing the mambo on the bahamas. She looks like sheโ€™s had at least 7 cups of espresso. If I put her on the shelf she face palms, so I need to support her head.

Needles to say this is an extreme case of expectations vs reality and it was SO HARD ๐Ÿ˜‚ I spent an ungodly amount of time making Bean and I will definitely re-do her once I have recovered from this. Her star is way too low and her eyes are too high. I donโ€™t want to talk about her tail fin. There are a lot of little holes and the sewing is incredibly messy so she only looks sorta ok from a meter away. I have a lot to learn when it comes to sewing ๐Ÿ˜… but itโ€™s alright for my first real attempt at it.

View attachment 512338View attachment 512339

Thar she blowsโ€ฆ This is Bean ๐Ÿ‘๏ธโญ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๏ธand she only has one brain cell, which is currently away dancing the mambo on the bahamas. She looks like sheโ€™s had at least 7 cups of espresso. If I put her on the shelf she face palms, so I need to support her head.

Needles to say this is an extreme case of expectations vs reality and it was SO HARD ๐Ÿ˜‚ I spent an ungodly amount of time making Bean and I will definitely re-do her once I have recovered from this. Her star is way too low and her eyes are too high. I donโ€™t want to talk about her tail fin. There are a lot of little holes and the sewing is incredibly messy so she only looks sorta ok from a meter away. I have a lot to learn when it comes to sewing ๐Ÿ˜… but itโ€™s alright for my first real attempt at it.
I know pictures can be deceiving and all but what are you talking about, sheโ€™s adorable! Yes apologies, this is definitely a harder project than it look at first glance, but you did it!! Also for her flopping over thatโ€™s kinda just gonna happen unless you use the weighted stuffing in the tail, I couldnโ€™t figure out a different solution to that one.
๐Ÿณ Congrats on finishing your first space whale! ๐Ÿณ

I know pictures can be deceiving and all but what are you talking about, sheโ€™s adorable! Yes apologies, this is definitely a harder project than it look at first glance, but you did it!! Also for her flopping over thatโ€™s kinda just gonna happen unless you use the weighted stuffing in the tail, I couldnโ€™t figure out a different solution to that one.
๐Ÿณ Congrats on finishing your first space whale! ๐Ÿณ
I think the pics make her look cuter than she is irl ๐Ÿ˜‚ she looks very very derpy lol! But itโ€™s alright, Iโ€™ll just make another one!

Updated the pattern and added instructions for Space Narwhal! Thank you @Cheremtasy for the adorable space whale!

Last edited:
Round 2: Narwhal Edition
0F5097F4-0150-43E6-A9DF-EA4988E70E3C.jpeg

I caved and started a whole new plush. I plan to post some progress images as I go through the construction process if anyoneโ€™s interested. If you would like to see a specific part of the process in photograph form feel free to let me know!

Back