• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Thoughts on time travel?

I fast traveled in New Leaf only to move villagers out faster. Then I would soft reset until a dreamie moved into my town. I felt disconnected from my town because I was fast forwarding. I made a commitment that with New Horizons I will take things day by day and only kick out villagers when they ask to leave on their own. I feel this will be more rewarding.

I did a little bit to speed up shop building but otherwise nah. I have no reason to.

with my first island i played for about five days before i started time traveling but once i did, i felt a little greedy but kept doing it because most of my friends were doing it too. i did it in new leaf all the time and thought nothing of it. but i regret doing it immensely because now i have a fresh town and i’m not time traveling and i feel so behind everyone

its a personal preference though and i think if someone spent $60+ on a game they should be able to play it whichever which way they want

i wish i could be the type of personn who plays day by day but tbh i just cant. im too impatient. i feel like everything feels more "special" when you dont time travel which is why ive tried but i always give into time traveling

I've time traveled in every Animal Crossing game I've played since the GameCube game. It has always been my preferred style of play. While others can enjoy the day-to-day life sim aspect, I find it to be too slow, too restrictive, and too detrimental to my enjoyment and engagement. I would get burned out far faster and more often if I had to devote time to the game like some kind of chore even if I'm otherwise busy when not in the middle of a pandemic lockdown or simply disinterested on a particular day.

Enjoy it? Cool. Don't enjoy it? Cool. Neither playstyle is bad, both are valid. Whether "the intended style of play" or not, it has been possible to time travel for the past 19 years through all of these games and players like myself feel most comfortable in this niche. Villagers in New Leaf would even acknowledge it in a non-judgmental way as one of the rumor dialogues. Be like your animal friends, live and let live. Catch some fish, decorate your house; whatever you do, just enjoy yourself in whatever way you see fit.

I don't personally time travel as I love to see what goes on in my game every day but I understand why people do time travel! Either way you play the game, it's fun to those who play it the way they do :)

If you want to time travel, do it! If you don't want to time travel, that's okay too. It is okay to play the game in whatever way you choose, it's your game and your island! There is no right or wrong way to play the game to me and I love seeing people progress in whatever way they choose.

i've only time traveled twice, once for the town hall + isabelle and once for the able sisters since i really wanted to download some custom designs. it's not really my thing unless i get super impatient, but i see why people do it. animal crossing can be played however you like

People who TT: great
People who don't TT: also great
theres no RIGHT way to play i've been tting since WW

I don't think TT is a bad thing, just a different play style. I'm just really jealous of it because I always see people with extravagant towns so early.

I don't do it because I have plenty to do each day, don't mind waiting (I waited years for the game, so another few days for a shop to open is nothing to me lol) and prefer spreading out the experiences.

The way I play/see the game is very story-driven, so going at a day-by-day pace allows me to really develop a narrative around my Island life and the town I'm building. When I see people far ahead, I don't feel like I'm missing out at all tbh. I don't want to say that they're missing out either, but from my perspective I'm gaining more by taking it slow. I'll get all those things eventually, and have a great time until then ^o^

I don't TT, but TTers still help me a lot. Thanks to TTers, I knew what the full list of bugs/fish was for March and could hunt them down. I'm not sure I would've known about the Golden Trout otherwise. It's just so elusive, and river fish generally aren't worth as much as ocean fish. I don't think I would've fished there enough on my own to find it.

Sure, it's annoying to wait for things at times when you see others have completely decked out islands already. But for me, it's somehow more satisfying to have wait.

I didn't really TT in NL (meaning I only TTed to make up days I missed - I never went forward from real time) but I did excessively trade. I feel like it hurt my enjoyment to get things before I could've earned it on my own.

But that's my own personal style. Others don't want to wait because, for them, the fun is decorating and crafting their island. They don't want to wait for days, weeks, months, or longer to get a particular piece of furniture that would be perfect for their cool room. That's fine! That's their way to enjoy, that's how they should play.

I don't think this needs to be a debate. AC isn't a competitive game, so IMO people can do what they want.

I don't want to do it, but to each their own. When you pay 60 for a game, you can play it however yoy want to, or use it as a frisbee outside for all I care.

For me it would ruin the experience of the buildup, which is my favourite thing about AC. It would get fast forwarded to much. Its nice to look forward to the other seasons, getting villagers you want, building up your town slowly. I do a lot in my town to progress fast, but within the natural pace of the game. It satisfies my completionist side while not spoiling the experience.

Only thing I don't like about TT'ing is people who TT and spoil things, aware or unaware, for others. But I kinda expect that nowadays so I don't get to worked up over it.

I've only ever time travelled through second playthroughs, and I find it burns me out too quickly. I enjoy the slower paced day by day play style.

Back