• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Thoughts on Raymond?

when the game first came out and his popularity was at its peak, i really didn’t understand the hype. i thought he was cute and i liked the fact that he has heterochromia, but i didn’t understand why people were so crazy about him. i still hoped he’d be my first smug villager or that i’d run into him while island hopping though, just so i could make a profit LOL.

i did eventually find him while island hopping and invite him, but i never sold him. his hype was pretty much dead by then, so i just let him walk off into the void. i actually really liked having him on my island. i still don’t understand the hype, but he’s not a bad villager at all! his expressions are adorable, and his eyes really are pretty cool. i also like that he sometimes looks like he has fangs.
DC591B1B-05A8-4E70-BC9A-1AE3166B470D.jpeg

He’s cute, but I prefer to have a different cat villager like Bob over him tbh. Also never really understood the hype over him (I’m a Marshal person sooooo) but to each their own I guess.
Also I remember that whole maid dress trend back in 2020 😰 that was really weird

I never got into the hype but I thought he looked cool.

I thought I would see what all the fuss was about and added him to my island. He was... alright. He survived a couple of months. I got his photo and then kicked him out.

Later on a villager hunt I found him and decided why not take him back since he didn't have an amiibo. I liked him a lot more that time. I still got rid of him.

Got him back and let him go a few more times.
Eventually I concluded that since I keep bringing him back I must like him quite a bit and now he's just a fixture on my island.

It wouldn't feel right there without him anymore.

I’m the unpopular opinion. He’s not a favorite of mine and I don’t see anything too special about him, he’s just another cat character to me. He wouldn’t be disliked if he ended up on my island unlike some, but he wouldn’t be kept. There’s other characters that I think are neater and have me talking about how I like them, like Ione or Lucky.

Now, I’ve seen people that have completely geeked out, screamed in excitement, fan girled and and boyed out for him. I’ve even seen pictures of him made human and simped for (that one is out of my understanding and might be a whole different thing going on, but I digress). It seems a little much when I see that stuff happen and makes me feel a little awkward, but despite whether or not I feel awkward, they are completely alright to geek out for him. It’s alright to be a fan and super fan of something, even if others aren’t.

“Everybody Loves Raymond” almost lol.

I actually quite like Raymond. He's not in my top 10 villagers overall, but he is top tier for the Smug personality (along with Pietro, Marshal, and Cephalobot). I haven't actually had Raymond in my town, although I have his amiibo and intend to try him out eventually. I've seen him at my campsite. I thought the business man idea was a neat twist on the Smug personality, and he had a certain cuteness about him in-game as he looked up at me with that serious face. I really like his black and gray color scheme, and I think the mismatched eyes add just the right bit of color. I'm also a fan of his cute little fangs and his business suit.

I don't have anything against him, I don't have him on my Island and I like the two different eyecolors.
I am pretty neutral about him. I have his amiibo card, so if I want to ever get him on my Island I have that option at least. :)

I've had Raymond on my island for just over a year and I still enjoy having him. Marshal, I found on one ticket and it was nice having him as well but despite the fact both have the smug personality, I was over Marshal's personality within a couple months.
Although lately with Raymond, every other day he's asking to move :p I'm kinda trying for an all cat island and I'm not letting any of my cats go until I succeed

I’ve had him on my island since a couple of months after the games release (pretty sure he’s my longest running villager on the island) and he‘s one of my favourites, I like his different coloured eyes and the smug personality, also the cats are one of my top species in the game. Mostly though, I was drawn to him as he’s one of the only villagers that bares any similarity to one of my own pets as he’s similar colours to one of my cats which is the main reason I really like him.

Despite that though I could never understand the obsession over him, I’d still like him even if he didn’t bare some resemblance to my cat but he probably wouldn’t be a favourite of mine as there are many other great villagers that deserve some more attention.

I never got into the hype behind the character. It was also sad to see a lot of people dedicate hundreds of hours or even dollars to obtaining him, and many scammers taking advantage of these people too.

I eventually let Raymond to move to my island last year, but it was more of a way to change things up, not that I really needed him or anything. The only thing I do like about him is he that is a cat villager, and actually the only smug cat. If you wanted 1 species and 8 personalities, Raymond is a requirement. He's definitely not my top 10 or even 15

I loveeeeee cats and I want to make it my mission to one day have my island full of cats 😊

I met Raymond on a mystery island but I had no room and couldn't get him to move in cause he wanted me to kick out Buck @themysterybidder would understand why I would never kick Buck out for anyone :p

Then I hadn't seen him again since which is a shame cause he is a cute looking kitty especially with the different coloured eyes.

If you're not against adopting Raymond, I might be able to kick mine out for you. I don't play much anymore, and wouldn't miss Raymond either way.

I made a vacation house for Raymond this year in Happy Home Paradise. Raymond is very unique. He has heterochromia and he is the only Smug Cat in the Animal Crossing Series.We also both have the same zodiac sign. I was born on September 24. and Raymond was born on October 1. We also both like chocolate popsicles.I also remember the Raymond in the Maid Dress thing. I actually have a picture of Raymond in a maid dress saved on My Ipad.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not my cup of tea (I find his office motive boring) but I don't hate him either.

There are many other smug villagers I like more. Although I like the idea of a smug cat villager in general.

Last edited:
I personally love him, my doctor cat. A premie, we've been through alot together, even first getting him was a late night adventure. It was with another member trying to move villagers out, and then get him xD but it pretty well took almost a whole night! My doctor cat hasnt changed, I had a friend hold him for me so I could get him again on my new island 🥰 So Ive had him for a very long time.

I started to like him even more after watching *Evil Imps* short of him on YouTube! I classify him as more a doctor, then an office worker Haha. But he just makes me want certain villagers in general, haha

Made lots of fond memories of him. So unlike some villagers, I like him because of memories. Not hype. If anything I got Bruce because of all the hype my friends had for him xD I honestly thought he was super popular (Boy was I wrong)

Raymond is on my side island because hes a male cat, and Im not as attached to him as my main one. Then I got his map from gulliver's thing on Pocket Camp lol, theres no escaping the doctor cat for me xD

But he'll.always have a place in my heart, and will never leave me ♡♡
--

Aside from that, well I think hype judgement, isn't fair to others who like him

Little Raymond is a smug kitty, and not a trophy~ hes just a grey coated Stinky or Rodney with an office for a house~

I wonder what people would do if Rodney suddenly had Raymond's outfit house, and Raymond had Rodneys... Hm. What would change...

Last edited:
I was going to make a pun regarding "Everybody Loves Raymond" but I don't think that's the case with me. I like his unique design, but he's not super-cute (like Molly or Sherb), so he's not my favorite.

In Happy Home Paradise, he wants a tailor shop. I was a little surprised he didn't want an office cubicle, but the tailor shop also made sense. Too much sense. I wish they gave him a vacation home theme that was more unexpected. It might make me appreciate the character more.

He's fine. He looks pretty cool overall between the fur color, heterochromatic eyes, glasses, hair swish, and business attire. I like his home's office theme. He's also a Smug, which was my favorite male personality in New Leaf and second in New Horizons after Cranky. He's a solid villager and I can see why people like him.

He's not one of my top favorites or anything though. On the spectrum of favorite to least favorite villagers, he'd probably be somewhere in the middle, maybe high middle. There are a bunch of villagers who I'm more interested in and like more, but I could see having him as a resident in a future installment in the series if I've burned through other favorites already (I don't repeat villagers across New Leaf towns or in New Horizons, preferring to experience different villagers each time), had room to fill and if he fit whatever theme I were to decide on.

I adore Raymond and find him to be very unique. I have him on my OG island and he very much fits the Smug personality type, and I love the fact that his house interior reminds me of an executive office. I was initially more drawn to Judy's design than Raymond's, but now that I have them both I appreciate them equally.

I think the devs did a fantastic job on the design of nearly all the new villagers. Bat villagers when?

I never got into the hype behind the character. It was also sad to see a lot of people dedicate hundreds of hours or even dollars to obtaining him, and many scammers taking advantage of these people too.

I eventually let Raymond to move to my island last year, but it was more of a way to change things up, not that I really needed him or anything. The only thing I do like about him is he that is a cat villager, and actually the only smug cat. If you wanted 1 species and 8 personalities, Raymond is a requirement. He's definitely not my top 10 or even 15

If you're not against adopting Raymond, I might be able to kick mine out for you. I don't play much anymore, and wouldn't miss Raymond either way.
Thank you so much I am not really playing either at the moment to much happening IRL but thank you again :)

I think he has a unique design, so that's why I like him. I think there's too many villagers, especially a lot of the earlier ones, that look essentially just like palette swaps of each other.

He's also the only smug cat. If you want an all-cat island, you basically need to have him if you want 1 cat of every personality type.

I have three islands. One is about to be re-set. The replacement island needs to meet with a reasonable criteria of mine. When it comes to villagers, I will require one: Smug cat Raymond.

I have experienced all seven other new New Horizons villagers who were there from Day #01: Cranky elephant Cyd; Snooty bear cub Judy; Lazy goat Sherb; Normal bear Megan; Jock sheep Dom; Peppy wolf Audie; and Uchi horse Reneigh. Two-plus years…I still have not experienced Raymond. (I have had a lot go on.)

I do have a purpose. I will find out what I think of Raymond. I hope I will genuinely like and appreciate him.

Back