• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Things you didn't know about forever?

If you replace all the shirt patterns that game has available at the start with umbrellas you can stop your villagers from wearing the same exact thing. Some will change their umbrellas but I would rather they all have the same umbre than clothes.

I just need Papi to change his shirt lol
I didn't even know the villagers can use custom umbrellas!

If you press A while standing in front of the bonfire at harvey's your character does a little hop dance!

i only just learned how to use the street organ! i'd just been pressing A for a second and watching the lever turn, but it turns out you're supposed to hold A on the street organ, and a whole song will play and there's a little show!
Post automatically merged:

oh no oops i'm in the wrong section ;;
something new i learned about nl though, is that you could refurbish clothing!

You can put things on bridges now. Now my bridges will be covered in mushrooms that love to grow in my town.

-Like someone said I didn't know you had to keep pressing A when the fish is spinning in the water. Just once will do. I discovered this while fishing for a shark and accidentally lifting my finger off the button and my heart stopped for a second. When I saw the shark still spinning I was in complete AWE lol. I then tried with other fish to see if it had been a glitch and it hadn't heheh.
-I also didn't know that you could drag an item you wanted to place on the ground to the character cartoon in the middle of the "pockets" window instead of having to press the item and select "put on ground"
-For the LONGEST time i didn't know you could actually run in the game. I accidentally discovered it when i pressed B by accident while walking and suddenly my character started to sprint. I felt like the BIGGEST IDIOT omg. I must have lost hours of my life by walking at a medium speed from one side of my town to the other.
-Related to the last one, I also didn't know you could run by holding the two back buttons on the left and right of my DS.
-I also didn't know you could skip the villager dialogues faster by pressing B every time they speak. I know Blathers's waking up routine and fossil assesing speeches by heart now lol.
-Idk if it has to do with the gameplay itself but when i found a haircut guide for Shampoodle my life did a 180 flip.
-Finally, i wondered for the longest time how people managed to emote. I didn't know you could visit club LOL during the day, give shrunk some fruit and then the emote/joke book could expand every day. I just assumed that it would only open during the night and never questioned it. I think there was one time i tried to enter but it was before midday so it was actually closed and never gave it a second chance.
So basically, im a really dumb person when it comes to playing New Leaf. I bet there's lots of other things i still don't know asdhsk.

Today I just happened to have a dog balloon lamp in my pocket when I was asking Cyrus to customize something and noticed it was an option... Sorry if everyone else already knows about it but I’ve been playing for five years and had no idea so just thought I’d mention it here.

I've been playing about that long, too, and never even thought to see if it could be customized! Thanks!

Today I just happened to have a dog balloon lamp in my pocket when I was asking Cyrus to customize something and noticed it was an option... Sorry if everyone else already knows about it but I’ve been playing for five years and had no idea so just thought I’d mention it here.
o_o this thread is making me feel SO dumb I can't even. I CAN REFURBISH CLOTHES!?!?!?!?!

i've learnt way too much from this thread, now i have an explanation for the time rosie moved into my town and said she was from my old town that i deleted like 4 years ago lmao

For the longest time I didn’t know that if you tripped while holding a balloon it would float away! I was so sad when I lost my bunny balloon that day. 😔

I just found out today that as long as at least one of your 4 characters isn't a member of club tortimer, the papers will always be sold at the island gift shop. The only way of opening the slot for another island item is making everyone a member, then the papers will stop appearing in the shop.

I'm the only villager and the paper still appears-any idea why?

I didn't know there was a limit to how many public works project I could build. Maybe a few months ago I finally reached that point where only the renovation public works projects could be built, that was after I had done so many of them. I had been playing for a while too.

That your footsteps make different noises depending on the carpet :)
The grassy carpets make you sound like you're actually on grass!

For a while, I didn't know about forgeries. So I had no idea that there was something wrong with the painting or statue that I bought from Redd's and didn't know it was considered trash or didn't help with the HHA score.

For the longest time, I thought that the only stuff that I could spend MEOW coupons on were the items from Harvey's campground. It took me months to figure out that I could actually walk INSIDE the RV and that there was stuff inside as well. I couldn't believe the kinds of stuff in the RVs, too... that treasure chest I spend 150 medals on from an island shop was only 3 MEOW coupons! It blew my mind.

Also, I didn't know that clothing was refurbishable until reading this topic... wow.

Years later, I just discovered that we could swap gyroids at the LOL club and that could run away with the Brewster gyroid without having to work.

For a while, I didn't know about forgeries. So I had no idea that there was something wrong with the painting or statue that I bought from Redd's and didn't know it was considered trash or didn't help with the HHA score.

You didn't know? But some of the forgeries are so utterly obvious! :ROFLMAO: I don't know the English names, but like the headless winged statue (Victoria de Samotracia) has bat wings, or the other female statue (Venus de Milo) has long hair?

Back