• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Things you didn't know about forever?

I only just found out by trying, that when you're diving, you can save in the water. ^_^

I only just found out by trying, that when you're diving, you can save in the water. ^_^

That's so good to know! Thanks, hon! (No, that's not a typo...well, you call me "my dear.") LOL

Last edited:
not sure if this counts but when i first started playing my game, id be on the beach and snowballs would randomly roll of the cliffs above and freak me out, like was my game haunted or what lol
i eventually realized later on it was dung beetles :mad:

I only just realised how to catch ants, and that you can reset a villagers catchphrase by reporting them as a problematic citizen!

I tried plot resetting for the first time today, and I only just realized you can change the time with Isabelle on the menu screen....I've deleted towns before so I should have seen the option, but I guess my brain just blanked it out because messing with time settings always made me nervous, haha.

I recently found out (to save space as well) you can store a fully dressed mannequin in your drawers!

This thread is great, I've learned so much.
Not a practical tip, but I just realized Isabelle's name is a pun because her head looks like a bag of bells. (Is a bell...)

I had no idea that cherry trees would have cherry blossoms during springtime before I saw a picture of the blossoms somewhere. Now I just can't wait for spring. :cool:

When I first started, I had no idea you couldn't plant trees too close to the edge (I press the "B" button nonstop whenever someone is talking). For the longest time, I keep thinking, "Which one of these villagers are purposefully digging up all of my trees?!" I was so angry! Then a friend came to visit my town and was like, "Stoooooooooooop! These will die blah blah blah." Lesson learned. I lost many trees before I found out...

I only found out the other day that your character will start to box when you interact with the judge's bell! It's sooo cute ;__;

To toonafeesh and Jon, (and anyone else, haha), here is a tip with a little story.

My grandson gave me my first copy of New Leaf. When he would watch me get a new item, he would ask, "Does it do anything, gramma?" When I let him play he would go around checking everything, to see if it did anything. I learned from him to do the same thing, and I seldom forget now. So I knew about the bell...it is cute and coolies!

To toonafeesh and Jon, (and anyone else, haha), here is a tip with a little story.

My grandson gave me my first copy of New Leaf. When he would watch me get a new item, he would ask, "Does it do anything, gramma?" When I let him play he would go around checking everything, to see if it did anything. I learned from him to do the same thing, and I seldom forget now. So I knew about the bell...it is cute and coolies!

Kids can teach us a lot! ^_^

Ha, this is totally my wife. She's very, very thorough. Oftentimes she'll know more than me... even though I've been playing longer. She's gotten so much cool stuff just by carrying items she doesn't really want and interacting with villagers. Unlike me. I just sell everything or put everything away. Now I pick one or two items that I don't really care for in case anyone pings me for a trade ;)

I didn't know you could pick your town map for the longest time T^T too late now xD Also, I didn't know that black cosmos and purple pansies existed until somewhat recently '-' Lol

Ha, this is totally my wife. She's very, very thorough. Oftentimes she'll know more than me... even though I've been playing longer. She's gotten so much cool stuff just by carrying items she doesn't really want and interacting with villagers. Unlike me. I just sell everything or put everything away. Now I pick one or two items that I don't really care for in case anyone pings me for a trade ;)

Omgosh, I'm more like you, but what a great idea, I'm going to do it, too! Thanks!

Omgosh, I'm more like you, but what a great idea, I'm going to do it, too! Thanks!

Totally!!! I haven't been as lucky as my wife, but getting close. After like 2 days, Truffles gave my wife a rice cooker! I'm like, wth! All I get are random t-shirts that I would never, ever wear!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I didn't know you could pick your town map for the longest time T^T too late now xD Also, I didn't know that black cosmos and purple pansies existed until somewhat recently '-' Lol

Ha, worst, I didn't realize it was the same 4-5 maps that Rover kept cycling through until you either pick one or start over. After the second go-around, I'm like, wait a second... -_-|| lol

I didn't know how people got hybrid flowers on their islands for the longest time. You cannot grow them obviously, but you can bring one per visit, per player (for a maximum of 4 per visit) by wearing one as headgear. You will still have it on once you arrive and if you take it off you can plant it on the island!

Back