• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The hardest game you have ever played

Donkey Kong Country by far. I’m currently trying to 100% on my gba and the controls are... not the best to say the least lol. All of the kremkroc industries inc levels have been a nightmare.

Honestly, maybe I'm in the minority with this one, but I played Bayonetta 1 on Normal thinking it would be, well, normal.

It was anything but normal. I was really liking the game for about the first 5 chapters, but once the difficulty really started setting in, I could barely take it, and just wanted to finish it regardless of the score.

Haven't revisited since that playthrough.

For intentionally hard games, I'd say Cuphead, Undertale, or Super Mario Bros 2 J/Lost Levels, though I do enjoy all of them. As for games that I just can't get the hang of, I'm not super good at racing games, so I do struggle getting past 50CC in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, though I'm pretty good at MKWii. And whilst technically a genre and not a game itself, I stink at competitive Pokémon battling. The only stat I lower is the HP down to 0, lmao

Also, it's kinda funny, but I find the FNAF games, especially FNAF 2, to be very hard. The jumpscares get stale after a while, but for me, just the thought of the animatronics moving around and being able to come into the office at any minute freaks me out. I don't think I've ever gotten past night 2 in FNAF 2 because as soon as the animatronics start moving I close the game.

Prinny: Can I really be the Hero? on PSP. Controls were clunky. The jump mechanic was so stiff. I find the old Disgaea titles charming though but I wasn't a big fan of the mainline entries, so when I found out about Prinny being a spin-off and a side scroller game, I didn't think twice. It was a blast but I remember my hands getting sore at some points and more so after beating the final boss.

don’t starve. i know it’s one of those games that’s like, intentionally difficult, but it really is tough to keep going the longer you progress and dealing with certain hazards is insanely hard!! and annoying!!!

Definitely a weird one, but hear me out. The original Harvest Moon. I can’t figure out how to progress at all, and I’ve even tried looking up guides. im such a pro gamer

Maybe I was underleveled or needed to grind more, but I am Setsuna almost every boss felt like a brick wall of difficulty.. The last boss I tried to beat had two healing moves that is just too much!

I got so close to beating it then it healed all its health. And when it gets to half health it heals for like 3 turns back to full.

I had to stop playing the game for the sake of my mental health.

It's gotta be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. I got that game as a birthday gift the year it came out and it took me until around this time last year to actual beat it for the first time ;_____;

I haven't touched the game since then lol

I would have to say either Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon for 3DS, or Horizon: Zero Dawn for PS4 (in hard mode).
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was hard because of the long, drawn out dungeons that take all of your resources in limited pockets. Then, when you reach the boss, you are forced to go on with barely anything in your pockets. It’s either fight or return to the start of the dungeon. I was stuck for months because I had no resources fighting Rayquaza at the end, and I would lose no matter how hard I tried. I think I tried like 50 times before giving up. Finally, after months of not playing, I picked it up and managed to beat it randomly, but I haven’t played since because it took the fun out of the game.
Horizon: Zero Dawn is super fun and one of my favorite games ever. It has an amazing story. However, I made the mistake of trying to beat it on hard mode my first time.. boy did I do a lot of screaming and throwing remotes, lol. It’s so hard to beat the robots and bosses and sneak past them.

To be completely honest ... probably super smash on the N64. I always played against my older brothers growing up who had the system from back when they had grown up (they are significantly older than me) so as you can imagine, they were far better practised/better at the game than me. I don't think I have ever beaten them, haven't played in years though mind you.

Sekiro...some may laugh at me legit it's not that I can't beat it I legit refuse to look up a tutorial and can never find out where to go...(doesn't really help that the boss is a PAINNN) but my first option was going to be Dark Souls bc I could only get passed the 2nd boss by myself others I needed help same with Dark Souls 3

I'm choosing this based on the perceived difficulty at the time I played it, and for that, I have to say FFXIII. I hit so, so, so, SO many brickwalls during that game because back then I would run from everything instead of grind so boss fights were absolutely heinous. Booted up one of my old saves for old time's sake and a mixture of understanding I gotta grind + experience playing other FF games I steamrolled all the bosses LMAO

As for hard games currently, I gotta say the Binding of Isaac and before someones inevitably tells me "ez lols" let me explain.
I've put an insane amount of time into this game across three platforms, I am good at this game, but it is hard ! Some bossfights you can steamroll no problem, others even have secrets to beating them instantaneously, and others are purposefully made super hard no matter the items, trinkets, and passives you've got stacked. It's taken me about two years to become familiar with maybe half of the items in the game, learn most of the bosses, and have a few synergies memorized-- I still have not beaten the Hush (an infamously hard boss fight because of it's health). This game is unforgiving to newcomers and the learning curve can be steep. Oh you want increased damage, sure but now you've got two hearts instead of three. Oh, you also want this very good item from the devil room? I'm taking the remaining two hearts you have-- hope you have spirit hearts or it's game over. Your down to half a heart with a pill that you haven't previously used during this run so It can be any pill? Here's explosive diarrhea, hope you don't blow yourself up ! The game even subtly taunt you by showing you your winning streak? now, how can that be a taunt? well, it goes below zero. Meaning, if you keep dying, you could find yourself at something like -47 wins.

My point is, TBOI is a very fun game but with constantly changing rooms and overall rng playing a huge role in how your run is going to go, your only chance at getting good is understanding you're gonna have your cheeks clapped time and time again. And the minute you think you're getting good? Great, move to hard mode and let me know how the champion versions of not only the regular enemies but bosses go. This game's longevity over the years comes from how difficult and neverending the game gets, and character and item unlockables make it hard (hah) to put down. But overall, the hardest game I've ever played is TBOI.

I'm going to sound really old but here goes... the hardest game I ever played was the very first The Legend of Zelda. I played it when it originally released here in the US. This was back when there was no internet & no guide books. There were a couple of video game magazines (google what a magazine is) that would share tips and info but we had to use our own allowance to buy them so we didn't get them all the time. One of the reasons it was so hard for me was that I didn't own an NES. My bestie and her older brother owned the NES. We always had to take turns with her brother & his friends and since it wasn't my system I didn't always get to pick what we played even when it was my friend's turn. The best time I ever had playing that LoZ was when both my bestie & her brother got grounded at the same time for breaking their mom's favorite decorative plate while playing tag in the house. Her brother's best friend was part of the game so he got in trouble with their mom as well. (He wasn't allowed to go over or even call the house for a week,) I wasn't there that day as I was out with my mom so I didn't get in trouble with their mom. As part of the grounding their mom let me borrow the NES and games for the whole time the two of them were grounded! She let me take it to my house since she knew & trusted my parents. Since I'm an only child I didn't have to share the NES with anyone for a whole week! I honestly almost cried when the week was up and I had to give the NES back.

Outlast 2, the uncharted series aside from uncharted 4 that was a good not super hard and when i first played state of decay 2 on lethal difficulty. it gave me hell!! now i can manage lethal, its not that bad after beating it many times i learned the mechanics

The Witness and Maquette, two puzzle games that took me too long to figure out. Who the heck thought that using bird noises as a clue for how many numbers to put was a good idea.

Hardest game I've ever played and one of my absolute favorites is Bloodborne

Way back in the dark ages there was a PC game called 7th guest that was a puzzle style game kind of like Myst, except horror themed.

You had to unlock each room with a puzzle both me and my dad worked on it and probably took us 2 months to finish.

One particular aggravating puzzle was a chessboard of all knights and you had to switch the black and white sides using only their moves and if you messed up the puzzle reset.

My dad is a pretty avid chess player and he actually had to bring out a physical chess board and keep trying it to figure it out

Ninja Gaiden for the original Xbox. Died over 10-20 times on the first boss alone. That game is ridiculous!

Oh man probably Halo 3 trying to beat the campaign on legendary with all the skulls turned on, now that is near impossible but we did it

Back