• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Have you ever played AC Pocket Camp?

I first played the game when it launched. Well, I did enjoy it at first, until I stopped playing in 2019, because it got boring after a while, and there wasn't really that much to do, once you fulfilled all requests for villagers.

And then I returned in 2023, so many features have been added since then, and I enjoy the game more than ever.

Yes! I first played it when it came out in 2017. I was immediately hooked on it, as was my old school friends, and we would play it together during lunch, free time in class etc. I thought it was super cute, not overly complicated, and all of the items were nice. It was an easy way for me to get my AC fix since I wasn’t playing New Leaf anymore. However, I tend to lose interest in mobile games pretty easily, and I grew bored of Pocket Camp after about a month or so. I also was no longer friends with the friends I played with, and it reminded me of them, so I stopped playing for that reason as well and deleted it off of my phone.

I eventually got back into it in early 2020 and started my game over. I missed playing AC a lot and wanted to play some kind of AC game to tide me over until New Horizons came out, and since I didn’t have any of the mainline games anymore, I decided to redownload Pocket Camp. It had changed a lot since I last played in 2017, and it was definitely more overwhelming than it used to be, but it was still fun! I had fun checking in on it during my lunch break at school, and I liked helping out the villagers. All of the items and clothes were incredible, though I hated how hard some of them were to get unless I spent real money.

I kept playing it for a little while after New Horizons came out, but I eventually lost interest in it and deleted it again. I actually reinstalled it again sometime last year since so many of my friends were playing it, but I only had it for a few minutes before deleting it again, permanently this time.

Overall, I think Pocket Camp is a cute game! I think it’s cool that AC gave the mobile game format a try, and I’m happy that it was a success. However, it’s too overwhelming for me now. How frequent the events and new items/clothes are overwhelms me. It feels like there’s always something going on, and something to try and collect (and therefore probably spend real money on). I also never really understood Gulliver’s map. It feels like it’s hard to get anything that you want unless you spend money or have friends sending you stuff, and as someone who is easily tempted to spend money on mobile games, playing Pocket Camp is just not a good idea for me financially.

I only played it for the first couple years after it's release in 2017. Maybe 2 at the most. I only started playing it because at the time, I had just finished completing my THIRD New Leaf town, and needed something else AC related to obsess over lol.

Looking back at my old pictures of Pocket Camp, it makes me want to get back into it, purely because of the exclusive items not available in the mainstream games. However, I don't really like mobile gaming as much as I did say back in 2010.

I stopped playing Pocket Camp around 2019 so the next step was awaiting the release of New Horizons. Boy, was that hyped! Pocket Camp kind of fell by the wayside as soon as New Horizons was announced.

I've actually been playing more of Pocket Camp as I've become super bored of New Horizons. That game is now nearing 4 years old (2 1/2 if you count its only paid DLC), and I've put in so many hours at this point that I'm super burned out from it. Meanwhile, Pocket Camp keeps me busy as there's actually things to do for meaningful rewards. Of course, I can't play it for over an hour straight, otherwise there'll be nothing to do for free until the visiting villagers rotate out, new tasks come along, or use up all the free HHA tickets for the day. The dialogue is also somehow much more repetitive than New Horizons, but I've reached the point where I've stopped reading it and focused more on getting things accomplished.

The best thing I like about the game are the memories you can unlock if you obtain certain villager friendship levels and/or have specific furniture items in your inventory. For those that don't know, they involve specific villagers talking to each other with unique dialogue. For example, a memory I watched involved Kyle, Cherry and Roscoe starting a band. If I recall correctly, Kyle wanted to be a drummer and write songs; Cherry to sing and play keyboards; and Roscoe to play guitar. I somewhat consider these memories to be semi-canon lore, as specific villagers have memories that heavily match their overall aesthetic. Funnily enough, before I even played Pocket Camp full-time, I considered rock music to be Kyle and Cherry's made-up trait, and boy did I end up being right after making this:

De Dogil.jpg

It's based off The White Stripes' De Stijl album.

Like most FTP mobile games, it obviously has its quirks when it comes to money transactions. We all know about the extra furniture that is exclusive to this game, and it would be a dream to have some of these items eventually reach a mainline game or, at worst, a Happy Home spinoff. I hate how some Leaf Ticket-only items are stupidly expensive (like 100 Leaf Tickets for a white brick wall), and if you do the math, you'd be paying about $5 for a single item like that if you wanted the tickets instantly. If I didn't have to grind tickets the hard way, it would be a more enjoyable experience in my opinion, but I'll at least give Nintendo a ton of credit for not inserting external Google ads into the game. Mobile ads are the absolute worst. Some of the activities are repetitive as well, such as the gardening, scavenger and fishing tourney events, but at least said events get changed up with new themes and the rewards are different every time.

Overall, there's much more to do in Pocket Camp compared to the simple villager tasks in the mainline games, and I like how it can keep me busy for more than 30 minutes if I split the play time evenly. I even bought an iPad just to play this game on a bigger screen. Could you say I've become obsessed? Maybe...

I only played for a small amount of time around when Pocket Camp was released. I played less than a year for sure maybe not even 6 months. I didn't get a whole lot accomplished during that time. I've thought about giving it another try but I always fail to get around to it.

i’ve played it on and off for some time~

i like how some functions are easier in pocket camp (fishing and catching bugs) and i like the different areas you can decorate (campsite, van, and cabin) 😚

i do find myself forgetting to play when life gets just a little too hectic, then i’ll realize it’s been weeks since i’ve actually gone on and played 🫣

I used to do it daily for a short while. It was fun and nice to do especially when i was going through something. I would pop in every now and then but it takes forever to load with all the new updates.

I used to play it often when it was sort of still new. It became nothing but a cash grab and I quickly removed it. I don't regret it. I prefer the mainline AC games and prefer mainline Nintendo games in general.

Yes! I first played it when it came out in 2017. I was immediately hooked on it, as was my old school friends, and we would play it together during lunch, free time in class etc. I thought it was super cute, not overly complicated, and all of the items were nice. It was an easy way for me to get my AC fix since I wasn’t playing New Leaf anymore. However, I tend to lose interest in mobile games pretty easily, and I grew bored of Pocket Camp after about a month or so. I also was no longer friends with the friends I played with, and it reminded me of them, so I stopped playing for that reason as well and deleted it off of my phone.

I eventually got back into it in early 2020 and started my game over. I missed playing AC a lot and wanted to play some kind of AC game to tide me over until New Horizons came out, and since I didn’t have any of the mainline games anymore, I decided to redownload Pocket Camp. It had changed a lot since I last played in 2017, and it was definitely more overwhelming than it used to be, but it was still fun! I had fun checking in on it during my lunch break at school, and I liked helping out the villagers. All of the items and clothes were incredible, though I hated how hard some of them were to get unless I spent real money.

I kept playing it for a little while after New Horizons came out, but I eventually lost interest in it and deleted it again. I actually reinstalled it again sometime last year since so many of my friends were playing it, but I only had it for a few minutes before deleting it again, permanently this time.

Overall, I think Pocket Camp is a cute game! I think it’s cool that AC gave the mobile game format a try, and I’m happy that it was a success. However, it’s too overwhelming for me now. How frequent the events and new items/clothes are overwhelms me. It feels like there’s always something going on, and something to try and collect (and therefore probably spend real money on). I also never really understood Gulliver’s map. It feels like it’s hard to get anything that you want unless you spend money or have friends sending you stuff, and as someone who is easily tempted to spend money on mobile games, playing Pocket Camp is just not a good idea for me financially.
Woah, nice story!

i have played and do sometimes still play, because of other phone games to play i tend to miss a lot of events but i do enjoy it!

I played it when it first came out (when you had to change your Nintendo account to Australia to get it) for quite a few years, I uninstalled because I lost interest and phone storage was also an issue. I have reinstalled a couple times (normally around Christmas) but don't seem to stick around for long. I do really like the item assortments and decorating my camp when I do go back on it!

I’ve played from the beginning and still play. It’s lost a bit of its charm (going on 6+ years now), and it’s getting close to have added all the villagers (unless it ends up adding ones not featured in ACNH), but I still check in daily. Almost out of habit at this point.

i've played it since launch! i have taken some breaks here and there but for the most part i'm still signing in daily, i always liked decorating best in ac games so it was pretty much designed for me, it does have a lot of flaws... but also a lot of charm!

Pocket camp wasn’t really my cup of tea but the furniture and outfits there are so good….

I want them to add some to new horizons but since that won’t happen, maybe the next animal crossing game???

played it, but got bored of it later. i also didn't like how you had to pay actual money to buy some things. although, i'm thinking of picking it back up again cuz i've been looking for some games to put into my phone.

Graphics suck, even for a phone game. My iPhone can run Resident Evil 4. Comon ! The art direction is also pretty bland.

The gameplay hook also sucks. It's a collect-a-ton with lots of loading screen and lots of waiting unless you want to pay for in-game currency. Overall, even as a phone game, I wouldn't recommend it.

Nintendo should just make pay-for-play games like Super Mario Run or even stop making mobile games altogether. Their subpar offerings really taint their brand.

Back