Should Nintendo Be Allowed to Revoke Features? (Poll)

Should Nintendo be allowed to revoke features via updates?

• Yes

Votes: 192 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 32.4%

• Total voters
It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers other people...but, I honestly just don't really understand the intended outcome of things like the bug patch. It would seem to me, that the players who don't time-travel, and need to rely on the daily resources of their islands would be harmed more by that than the "cheaters" would be. Besides, the flaw with treating the Animal Crossing "economy" like it's a tangible thing (when a lot of people like to play completely solo, and the "economy" shouldn't affect them at all).

Normally I would say since they made the game they can do whatever they want to patch it up, but I think lowering the ABD interest rates was a questionable choice. That was maybe the one patch they made so far that feels like they took away a +positive feature of the game, and now the interest does very little, especially for those that don't time travel. Excessive time travelers can still make a lot of bells off of it, as there doesn't seem to be a cap on how far you can time travel in a day, so I'm not sure what they were trying to prevent.

I'm going to be really honest here.... I can't help but feel like the people upset at the spawn rate fix have never actually played an online game before. Nintendo is not overreaching here and it doesn't have to be some doomsday type of thing where they'll "ruin" the game some day. The point is simple.... Nintendo screwed up the spawn rates. The "rare" bugs were spawning so commonly that they weren't even rare anymore by any means. They were, at best, common or uncommon spawn rates.

Developers are not perfect. They are not gods. They will make a mistake in the development of a game that may not be caught until public release, but that doesn't mean they're doing it to hurt anyone personally. It just means they're trying to balance the game and the spawn rates, which is a good thing. The rare fish were so much harder to find than the rare bugs, it was sad. I'm glad they've fixed it.

No features have been removed from the game. This is a completely normal change in the world of live-service for video games, they identified instances where high amounts of in-game bells were coming into the game and made changes in hopes of improving the economy. It's likely they had metrics for where bells were coming in and where they were leaving and just made some adjustments.

What even is this thread? Are we arguing that they should have been unable to fix the duplication glitch? Have some of you never played an MMO before?

Normally I would say since they made the game they can do whatever they want to patch it up, but I think lowering the ABD interest rates was a questionable choice. That was maybe the one patch they made so far that feels like they took away a +positive feature of the game, and now the interest does very little, especially for those that don't time travel. Excessive time travelers can still make a lot of bells off of it, as there doesn't seem to be a cap on time traveling so I'm not sure what they were trying to prevent.

Agreed. What am I supposed to do with 9,999 bells a month? Gee, in 9 more months I can afford a log bridge.

They choose how the game is made and played.

and than we can choose to either play, or not play said game.

it's their game, they can do whatever they like with it.

Not gonna lie, I was a bit disappointed that they nerfed the spawn rate of the pea butterflies. But it was broken. I couldn't even find common butterflies properly and I was always terrified about getting killed by tarantulas at night.

In New Leaf, the tarantulas were rare enough that you would only get 1 once in a while... Not a bajillion little devils trying to ambush you when you went out at night.

Revoke features I hope they don’t, but I feel ”revoke” is not the most accurate word to use. Nintendo adjusted spawn rates. Other companies do similar things.

I'm going to be really honest here.... I can't help but feel like the people upset at the spawn rate fix have never actually played an online game before. Nintendo is not overreaching here and it doesn't have to be some doomsday type of thing where they'll "ruin" the game some day. The point is simple.... Nintendo screwed up the spawn rates. The "rare" bugs were spawning so commonly that they weren't even rare anymore by any means. They were, at best, common or uncommon spawn rates.

Developers are not perfect. They are not gods. They will make a mistake in the development of a game that may not be caught until public release, but that doesn't mean they're doing it to hurt anyone personally. It just means they're trying to balance the game and the spawn rates, which is a good thing. The rare fish were so much harder to find than the rare bugs, it was sad. I'm glad they've fixed it.

Totally agree! I think because AC is such a well-known title, a massive amount of its players are casual gamers that don't have an interest in other types of games/haven't ever played many others. It seems like many AC fans just aren't aware that regular patches and updates are a fundamental part of the vast majority of online games and have been for years.

For example, all my RL friends who play AC haven't ever played any other video games except maybe Pokémon. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I think people should research the games they're buying before complaining that it's being updated and patched.

This is just my personal opinion, but I am simply satisfied to see that the grass deterioration feature has been removed.
Anything else that either differs or has been brought back from previous games is just the icing on the cake for me.

Ok but honestly this is a mood. I hate grass deterioration so much in New Leaf.

they didn't revoke any features, they fixed an unbalanced spawn rate. that is not what it means to "revoke" something. pea butterflies are supposed to be rare but i would find them constantly. and making bells is really pretty easy in this game...between bugs, fish, seashells, non-native fruit trees, money rocks, money trees, hot items, and the stalk market...you should be making steady bells. especially on days when flick or c.j comes, it's insanely easy to make thousands upon thousands of bells.

I'm fine with the spawn rate adjustment. Honestly, it was probably fair, considering the values and spawn rates of other things.

The interest rate adjustment for the ABD was dumb though. Like others said, that hurts non-TTers more than it hurts TTers. And for non-TTers, it's not like the original interest rate was even high.

In all the years I played New Leaf, which was around 5-6 years, I found maybe 5 tarantulas. Of course that could just be no luck on my side, but finding 30-40 per mystery island on one night seems pretty out of tune. Also I had around 2-3 blue flowers on my island and always 1-2 peacock butterflies around them so it was SO easy to get them. I think it just makes sense to keep the rare bugs rare, I wouldn't mind them doing the same to the fish like the oarfish and coelacanth as well since they (to me!!) don't feel special at all, especially compared to NL.

"Should Nintendo really be allowed to [...] " --> Well ... as they are the ones creating the game they don't need permission. So yes, they are"allowed to" do whatever they want. Plus they didn't do it in order to "punish" anyone. I think AC games are beautiful games that teach you, amongst other things, PATIENCE, especially for this one. They are games meant to be played real time and I think to lower the spawn rate was an attempt to make the game even closer to reality, with rare bugs that are actually rare.

Sure making bells takes time, and patience, but so does it in ACNL if you don't use the island trick.

And for the ones who don't want to wait you have HHD or Pocket Camp.

If this kind of slow, real-life-like game is not for you, no one forces you to spend 60$ on it.

I've seen people on tumblr organizing giveawaways to celebrate the completion of their island ??? (o_O) how is this even possible to claim having finished the game when not even one year has passed and you've not taken part in all the events ?

I really think some people are not playing this game for the good reasons.

I don't know if Nintendo legal "owns" the game after you buy it, and it may vary by country, but I'd argue they shouldn't be allowed to tamper with a product you've already bought without your consent. After all, Nintendo can't come to my house and physically modify my game, so why should they be allowed to digitally modify it without consent? If Nintendo had asked for my consent to agree to reduced bug spawns in exchange for adding Leif, Redd, and other content to my game, I would have grudgingly approved, but Nintendo shouldn't have any right to forcibly modify my game without consent. Online games are different in that updating is a requirement for participating in online play using a service, but you should never be forced to update a solo game unless you agree to it.

you already approved it by buying a copy of the game. when you open your switch they force you to update the game to access some features like online play before playing, like on many other games and systems. if you don't want access to these extra features or if you don't have an online membership then its no problem.

Nintendo can't come to your doors and take away the physical copy of the game lol that would be illegal, but by downloading the game on your switch digitally or physically, you're basically at the mercy of Nintendo's whims developments and updates, including the system itself.

Last edited:
Back