Scamming and bad transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know it's like 7 days into the month right?

Conflict is not inherently bad. I was already vaguely aware of this circumstance here, but thanks to this thread receiving attention, I've been alerted to it more. It's not always a bad thing.

Maybe one month will be Scamming, Harrassing, and conflict minimum.... maybe <3 I have gotten all 3 on this site, but I hope never again. Nor do I know who a few people are anymore so don't come pestering asking.

Somehow I imagine the only possible chance of that happening would be the month after the site gets shut down, simply because there wouldn't be any site to have drama on.

Seems we get drama on a regular basis now lel

Thankfully I haven't been a victim of any type of real drama yet. I dunno, maybe I just avoid it.

I'm surprised I haven't been scammed. I'm like really trusting.

[size=-2]I'm actually a little curious because I'm still slightly newbish to the community, but is there a "black list" somewhere that offenders are put on? At least for the sake of warning other people about them.

Or at least, can there/should there be a guide about scamming and what to look for/how to avoid it as best as possible?

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but maybe add a little constructive ideas to the mix.[/size]

[size=-2]I'm actually a little curious because I'm still slightly newbish to the community, but is there a "black list" somewhere that offenders are put on? At least for the sake of warning other people about them.

Or at least, can there/should there be a guide about scamming and what to look for/how to avoid it as best as possible?

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but maybe add a little constructive ideas to the mix.[/size]

Blacklisting isn't allowed here. Second post has some tips on how not to get scammed.

Edit: More info here as well.

Last edited:

That would be so helpful! I'm nervous now about being too trusting of people.

[size=-2]Oh, thank you! :) I overlooked that.

Did I miss any guides on scamming and what to look for? I know it's kind of hard to actually tell when someone's trying to scam you..I mean, people get used by their own best friends sometimes. I don't know. I think it's a nice idea that it's out in the open like this for us to be able to discuss it.[/size]

Blacklisting isn't allowed here, and I can see why. But that's why there's the wifi rating system.

But the wifi rating system is what seems to be the idea of question in this thread as of right now :/

Thankfully I haven't been a victim of any type of real drama yet. I dunno, maybe I just avoid it.

I'm surprised I haven't been scammed. I'm like really trusting.

I don't think I've been a victim to drama yet either, though I have chimed into and started drama on more than one occasion.

Also been safe from scamming too so far, but I haven't done many TBT transactions (which seems to be where the bulk of scamming occurs now), and from what I can remember all I have were for ACNL items. Though I'm also super cautious with trades, but considering I haven't dabbled in the more problematic areas such as game codes, my experience can't speak for much as a whole.

[size=-2]Oh, thank you! :) I overlooked that.

Did I miss any guides on scamming and what to look for? I know it's kind of hard to actually tell when someone's trying to scam you..I mean, people get used by their own best friends sometimes. I don't know. I think it's a nice idea that it's out in the open like this for us to be able to discuss it.[/size]

Jennifer wrote a really helpful post on how not to get scammed. It's one post down in the first link.

Yea yea scammers are crappy people! Lots of us have dealt with this, me being scammed 3 times but everytime the situation was handled. If you don't want to be scammed you need to be cautious with who you are trading with.

So to clear up some things:

Yes, we do delete Wi-Fi Ratings on occasion including negative ratings, if we are messaged about it and we have reason to suspect the legitimacy of the rating. As much as it might seem like a bad idea to edit ratings, it's necessary to have the possibility of it open at times. Just like how there are bad people out there who scam others, there are also bad people out there who go out of their way to tarnish someone's name or just plain lie for whatever reasons they may have. We see it happen all the time. If someone comes to us about a negative rating, we'll consider reversing it depending on the user's history, any kind of evidence, and generally our vibe of whether there's something fishy going on.

I will be the first to point out that this is by no means a perfect or even great process, but it's what we've got and to be quite frank, there's not a ton to work with when it comes down to transactions like this. I have no doubt that there's probably been mistakes. In the case of the user in question regarding this thread's explosion, this might have been one of the cases where we have been wrong about the rating and wrongly reversed it given the additional reports/ratings we're getting now. I've sent out a couple PMs and am looking into this case in particular. I will also look into potentially providing some sort of limited compensation to those effected if we determine the cases are legitimate, but understand that we can't just go around handing out tens of thousands of bells around in these circumstances like candy, nor can we just make extra super rare collectibles out of thin air if a trade falls apart.

At the end of the day though, there's always going to be some inherent risk doing any kind of game code transaction or any transaction that involves outside services. We aren't Nintendo customer support. These things will happen with these transactions. We have been lucky enough on TBT for it to be a generally rare occurrence but that may change as our forum's reputation of being a marketplace spreads around, and some bad apples may come here to exploit that. We'll always do our best to keep things safe but the reality is what we can do is limited and mistakes can happen.

So to clear up some things:

Yes, we do delete Wi-Fi Ratings on occasion including negative ratings, if we are messaged about it and we have reason to suspect the legitimacy of the rating. As much as it might seem like a bad idea to edit ratings, it's necessary to have the possibility of it open at times. Just like how there are bad people out there who scam others, there are also bad people out there who go out of their way to tarnish someone's name or just plain lie for whatever reasons they may have. We see it happen all the time. If someone comes to us about a negative rating, we'll consider reversing it depending on the user's history, any kind of evidence, and generally our vibe of whether there's something fishy going on.

I will be the first to point out that this is by no means a perfect or even great process, but it's what we've got and to be quite frank, there's not a ton to work with when it comes down to transactions like this. I have no doubt that there's probably been mistakes. In the case of the user in question regarding this thread's explosion, this might have been one of the cases where we have been wrong about the rating and wrongly reversed it given the additional reports/ratings we're getting now. I've sent out a couple PMs and am looking into this case in particular. I will also look into potentially providing some sort of limited compensation to those effected if we determine the cases are legitimate, but understand that we can't just go around handing out tens of thousands of bells around in these circumstances like candy, nor can we just make extra super rare collectibles out of thin air if a trade falls apart.

At the end of the day though, there's always going to be some inherent risk doing any kind of game code transaction or any transaction that involves outside services. We aren't Nintendo customer support. These things will happen with these transactions. We have been lucky enough on TBT for it to be a generally rare occurrence but that may change as our forum's reputation of being a marketplace spreads around, and some bad apples may come here to exploit that. We'll always do our best to keep things safe but the reality is what we can do is limited and mistakes can happen.

Jubs.... *huggles* I appriciate how hard you guys try

Just dropping in to say that I've caught Tina up to date on most of this so she'll be working on investigating later today and taking over some of it. Please PM her if you have anything to add or share regarding everything if you have been involved somehow. Thank you.

Just dropping in to say that I've caught Tina up to date on most of this so she'll be working on investigating later today and taking over some of it. Please PM her if you have anything to add or share regarding everything if you have been involved somehow. Thank you.

I have a question. Is it forbidden on this site to publicize other's offenses on another site (like if I called the scammer in question's name on ACC or Tumblr and expose his offenses there)? I know there's no need to, but I don't see any rules about talking behind this site's back. If I confused you here, I'll clear up.

No, I don't have the motive of doing this, nor do I see anyone doing this.

Last edited:
I have a question. Is it forbidden on this site to publicize other's offenses on another site (like if I called the scammer in question's name on ACC or Tumblr and expose his offenses there)? I know there's no need to, but I don't see any rules about talking behind this site's back. If I confused you here, I'll clear up.

No, I don't have the motive of doing this, nor do I see anyone doing this.
How could they enforce a rule against something off-site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back