• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Retro gaming dicussion thread! Let's talk old games! What do you like? What are you playing?

Nice. How do you use your Famicom? Do you have a CRT TV?

I'm in my late 30's so obviously I grew up looking at CRTs, but I just can't do it anymore. It hurts my eyes. I considered buying a Famicom and a Super Famicom when I was living in Japan, but I didn't want to buy a CRT and didn't know at the time that it's possible to make them work on modern TVs with modding.
Although I have a 14" crt, I don't use it anymore (it's stored somewhere). I just hook it to my LCD tv and it works well. All the TV's here still have composite and component video in, so it works without any need of mods or scalers such as the OSSC or Framemeister.

I mentioned the games I'm playing now in my first post, but I didn't talk about the ones I like, so...

NES
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Duck Hunt

I've always loved Mario games, and I have memories of playing these three on the NES when I was little. I also liked playing Duck Hunt, but I don't recall begin particularly good at it.

SNES
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All-Stars
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I don't think I really played SNES games when I was a kid, but these are all games I played later on other consoles and enjoyed.

Sega Genesis
Street Fighter II
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Disney's Aladdin
The Lion King

I used to play Street Fighter II with my older brother. He was both a sore winner and a sore loser though, so I remember getting frustrated a lot. Sonic was one of my favorites as a kid, so I played that fairly frequently. Aladdin and The Lion King were games I enjoyed but wasn't that good at.

Nintendo 64
Super Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie*
Conker's Bad Fur Day*
Mario Party 3
GoldenEye 007
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium

The Nintendo 64 was one of the consoles that I played the most as a kid. Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie were my clear favorites. I don't think I ever beat them when I was a kid though because I'd always restart them to play from the beginning. I also played Mario Party 3 a lot. When I think of Mario Party, this is the one I think of. GoldenEye 007 was a game I would play with my brother for the most part, but I did play some of the single-player as well. Ocarina of Time, Pokémon Snap, and Pokémon Stadium were great, but I didn't play them as much as some of the others. I think I may have liked the minigames in Stadium more than the main game.

*I didn't play Banjo-Tooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day until I got them as part of Rare Replay for the Xbox One, but I like them both.

Sega Dreamcast
Sonic Adventure
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future

I don't think I played the Dreamcast as much as some of the other consoles on this list, but I loved Sonic Adventure. And by that, I mean I loved the Chao. I spent more time taking care of and playing with Chao then I did on anything else in the game. I remember playing and liking Ecco as well, but it's kind of just a faint memory.

Nintendo GameCube
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Luigi's Mansion
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

The GameCube has so many games that I enjoyed. I could go through each of these games individually, but I'd just be repeating myself. I love them all and had so much fun with all of these games. I've also continued to enjoy all of the series that these games are a part of.

I don't really consider Wii and on retro, so I just listed up to GameCube for now. I might go through Wii, Wii U, and Xbox 360 later though. I didn't do handheld games yet either, so I might list those as well at some point.

If I did this it would be a book due to it's extensive length, so I'll give the condensed version lol.

I've been playing video games since before the original NES (Atari system of some sort). I owned almost all of the consoles until the Wii U which I skipped before getting my Switch. I was into the original Playstation and Playstation 2 along with World of Warcraft since Vanilla (I stopped playing years ago now though). Now I stick with my Switch and my 3DSXL. I still have all my old consoles aside from my original NES, Super NES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii. As for handhelds, I started with the original Gameboy before getting GB Color, GB Advance, the DS, and now 3DSXL. I really wish I had kept my NES, SNES, and N64 :(

I loved sooo many games it would take forever to list them all!

Although I have a 14" crt, I don't use it anymore (it's stored somewhere). I just hook it to my LCD tv and it works well. All the TV's here still have composite and component video in, so it works without any need of mods or scalers such as the OSSC or Framemeister.

Yeah, lack of HDMI on older consoles is getting to be more and more of a problem for me. I'm considering getting an OSSC or RetroTink2X. Framemeister is too costly and doesn't look good enough to justify the cost IMO.

I mentioned the games I'm playing now in my first post, but I didn't talk about the ones I like, so...
(snip)

Nice lists. You have good gaming taste. :) Here's my top 3 of each console, though not in order:

NES
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Mega Man 2

SNES
Final Fantasy III/VI
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2

Sega Genesis
Phantasy Star IV
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Shining Force 2

Gameboy/Color
Super Mario Land 2
Pokemon Blue
Tetris

N64
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Pokemon Snap

PS1
Final Fantasy Tactics
Resident Evil 2
Xenogears

I've played the Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast and Gamecube, but not enough to be able to pick out favorites. I didn't get much into handhelds until the original DS. I always preferred full consoles before that.

If I did this it would be a book due to it's extensive length, so I'll give the condensed version lol.

I've been playing video games since before the original NES (Atari system of some sort). I owned almost all of the consoles until the Wii U which I skipped before getting my Switch. I was into the original Playstation and Playstation 2 along with World of Warcraft since Vanilla (I stopped playing years ago now though). Now I stick with my Switch and my 3DSXL. I still have all my old consoles aside from my original NES, Super NES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii. As for handhelds, I started with the original Gameboy before getting GB Color, GB Advance, the DS, and now 3DSXL. I really wish I had kept my NES, SNES, and N64 :(

I loved sooo many games it would take forever to list them all!

I know how you feel about wishing you had kept old consoles. I do too. :(

The upside about skipping Wii U is that all of the best games have been released for the Switch, or are coming. I think Super Mario 3D World is really good, so it's nice that it's coming out to Switch finally. So you're fine there!

The oldest console I played on (since OP said no Nintendo consoles) was a PlayStayion 2 since it's my dads. I played Rampage and Mortal Kombat but none of his other games. They were a *bit* more gruesome than Mortal Kombat (shocker) like Hitman, Bully and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I still watched him play the games thou.

Going to go through handheld games this time. It should be a much shorter list since most of the handheld consoles were technically my brother's, so I just played his old ones. The only console that was specifically mine from this list was the Nintendo DS Lite.

Game Boy
Pokémon Yellow

This is the only game I remember playing on the Game Boy. I like Pokémon games, and Yellow was no exception. I also really liked the Pokémon anime and card game as a child.

Game Boy Color
Pokémon Gold
Pokémon Crystal

Surprise, more Pokémon games! Similar to the Game Boy, I only played Pokémon games on the Game Boy Color.

Game Boy Advance
We had this console, and I'm sure I played something on it a few times at least, but I can't remember. There's a high chance that I may have just been using it to play the Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.

Nintendo DS Lite
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64 DS
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Pokémon Platinum
Pokémon SoulSilver
Harvest Moon DS Cute
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Pop Cutie! Street Fashion Simulation
My Sims

This was the first handheld console that was actually mine and not my brother's. For the Mario games, I like New Super Mario Bros. a lot, and it was fun playing a new version of Super Mario 64. Being able to play as different Mario characters was a nice change. I remember enjoying Wild World a lot. My best friend had it as well, so we'd talk about the game from time to time. I alway enjoyed Pokémon games, so of course I had fun with Platinum and SoulSilver. Harvest Moon DS Cute was nice because I could play as a girl, although I didn't mind playing as a boy character in Harvest Moon either. Rock and Skye were my bachelors of choice. (Celia was the best bachelorette.) Kirby Super Star Ultra was my first Kirby game, and I really enjoyed it. I knew of Kirby before playing the game, but I'd just never gotten around to playing a Kirby game until then. Pop Cutie! and My Sims were fun, cute games that I liked to play from time to time. My best friend played both of them as well, so I remember discussing them with her.

PSP
Thrillville
Neopets: Petpet Adventures: The Wand of Wishing
Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl

The PSP was the only PlayStation console I've ever owned. I may have had a couple more games for it, but I played my DS much more than my PSP. Thrillville was another game that my best friend also had, and I remember talking about it with her a lot. It was a really fun game. Neopets was a site I used to go on a lot as a kid, so when I saw there was a video game for it, I had to get it. I actually did enjoy the game, but I think there was a part I got stuck on. Harvest Moon was always enjoyable. Gray was my favorite bachelor in Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl.

I replayed Mischief Makers on the Nintendo 64, I really love that game but it seems that not a lot of people have heard about it (or at least the people I talk to haven't, which is a shame because it's such a good game and it's a little odd but thats okay) I'm thinking of replaying Rayman, or Paper Mario 64.

Out of all my retro games, my favorites are definitely (if this even counts as retro) Mario Kart Double Dash, it's just so much fun and chaotic and I feel like I can play it anytime, at least when I have the TV downstairs to myself. I also say I enjoyed the NES Super Mario games and Super Mario Land 2 that I have on the 3DS Virtual Console. I also have played a few Atari 2600 games like Space Invaders and Breakout, they're the only ones I have and I feel that the controls are a bit hard to get used to but they're still nice. If the DS is considered retro, I love playing New Super Mario Bros and Mario Party DS, those were the games I played a lot when I was young. Also played either Pokémon Pearl or Diamond, don't remember which one though.

I really like the Kingdom Hearts series, the first one came out for PS2 all the way back in 2001 or 2002. that is a pretty long time ago. Especially when Kingdom Hearts 3 just released last year for the new playstaion. They also have released a lot of side games for the series. I also like Final Fantasy 7 that came out in the 90ies for ps1. I also really like Super Mario world for the super nintendo as well as the lion king game for the same system. I also like old school harvest moon games also. like A Wonderful life and the original Friends of Mineral town.
Post automatically merged:

Out of all my retro games, my favorites are definitely (if this even counts as retro) Mario Kart Double Dash, it's just so much fun and chaotic and I feel like I can play it anytime, at least when I have the TV downstairs to myself. I also say I enjoyed the NES Super Mario games and Super Mario Land 2 that I have on the 3DS Virtual Console. I also have played a few Atari 2600 games like Space Invaders and Breakout, they're the only ones I have and I feel that the controls are a bit hard to get used to but they're still nice. If the DS is considered retro, I love playing New Super Mario Bros and Mario Party DS, those were the games I played a lot when I was young. Also played either Pokémon Pearl or Diamond, don't remember which one though.

I like that one a lot too, that one is defiantly my favorite racing game.

If PS2 games count, I was a HUGE fan of DDR Extreme 2.

For older-than-that games, I really liked Namco games like Pacman and Galaga, and Sega's Tant-R and Fantasy Zone.

I replayed Mischief Makers on the Nintendo 64, I really love that game but it seems that not a lot of people have heard about it (or at least the people I talk to haven't, which is a shame because it's such a good game and it's a little odd but thats okay) I'm thinking of replaying Rayman, or Paper Mario 64.
Loved Mischief Makers... such an underrated game. I always enjoyed playing it, but never found any other fans. That game flew under the radar big time. I remember there being a few really difficult levels to beat in that game.

I don't have a lot of time or money for games recently, unfortunately, but I have always been a nintendo guy. So there are a lot of weird interesting games I hadn't heard of until recently. There's this RPG "Moon" (that I think recently got a switch eshop release?) that looks really interesting, and I heard it was the source of some inspiration in.... Undertale I think? Some game that I like, at least.

There's also this charming-looking game, Chu Lip, which I gather is about making friends and kissing the homies goodnight. I want to play that sometime.

And recently-ish I decided I wanted to try and play all or at least most SMT/Persona games. I'm currently playing P5R which is NOT a retro game, but I *think* my recent playthrough of Persona 3 Portable counts? Persona 3 is a very good game... And the soundtrack, what a collection of bangers

Recently got an Everdrive cart for my N64 so I can play modded games on the actual hardware :D beat Zelda: Dusk and Dawn a few weeks ago, which was an amazing experience on hardware, love seeing those old graphics brought to life again. And I'm currently playing through Banjo-Kazooie Jiggies of Time, which is fantastic so far!

Recently got an Everdrive cart for my N64 so I can play modded games on the actual hardware :D beat Zelda: Dusk and Dawn a few weeks ago, which was an amazing experience on hardware, love seeing those old graphics brought to life again. And I'm currently playing through Banjo-Kazooie Jiggies of Time, which is fantastic so far!

Dusk and Dawn is really cool! If you enjoyed it, I've heard of another zelda 64 mod(? hack? fangame?) called the Missing Link that looks interesting. You may already be aware of it but I thought I'd recommend JIC!

I have been getting back into Nintendo 64 lately, in my opinion it is one of the best consoles- you have (imo) the best Mario Kart, Super Mario 64 which is just such a great game focused on exploration, Goldeneye 007 which was lots of fun to play with my brothers growing up and a brilliant range of third party games. We still have the console + games at my parents place so it's been cool catching up and playing there. Funnily enough it is not my generation of console, I am the youngest by many, many years so my brothers were 90's kids. Other than that I sometimes play a bit of wii if a friend has it. Mostly galaxy and DK.

I've recently played a couple SNES titles:

Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War - Which is now my fave game in the entire series. I finished it a couple months ago.

Sailor Moon Another Story - A surprisingly good RPG for a game that was mostly meant to make money off the Sailor Moon name. I've gotten pretty far in it but I'm not finished it yet.

A bit more recent but still "retro":

Final Fantasy X - I just started it the other day for the first time and I'm really liking it. I'm playing the Switch version but it's originally a PS2 game. I never got to play many PS games in general as I've only ever owned a PS1. Added bonus that the Switch version is 50% off right now thanks to Black Friday sales.

Sailor Moon Another Story - A surprisingly good RPG for a game that was mostly meant to make money off the Sailor Moon name. I've gotten pretty far in it but I'm not finished it yet.

A bit more recent but still "retro":

Final Fantasy X - I just started it the other day for the first time and I'm really liking it. I'm playing the Switch version but it's originally a PS2 game. I never got to play many PS games in general as I've only ever owned a PS1. Added bonus that the Switch version is 50% off right now thanks to Black Friday sales.

Sailor Moon Another Story is great. It has some parts where you will need to spend some time grinding levels for your characters or you won't be able to advance. It's been years since I played it, but I specifically remember having to do it during the parts where the inner senshi (Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus) have their quests alone. Some of that was tough. I did like it a lot though. I want to replay it eventually! I love Sailor Moon in general.

Yeah, FFX counts as retro IMO. The game will be 20 years old next year! FFX and FFX-2 are still some of my favorites from the series and I've played them through a lot. Great story, fun battle system, interesting characters.

I recently found my Gameboy Advance SP and my copy of FF6 Advance and I'm been playing that on and off the last couple days.

I recently found my Gameboy Advance SP and my copy of FF6 Advance and I'm been playing that on and off the last couple days.

Yay! Best version of FFVI! That game is one of the reasons I still keep my old DS - so I can play FFVI Advance with the GBA slot.

Back