• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Retro gaming dicussion thread! Let's talk old games! What do you like? What are you playing?

I really only have nintendo consoles so I'll say the games I'm playing on those:
Wii:
1: Wii sports/Wii sports resort: I low key play this on a daily basis plus I'm really bored in quarantine so I'm writing wii sports the musical FOR the MEME
2: Twilight Princess: I'm a huge fan of the Zelda games and my dad had this in our basement and I was about to play it but the DISC WAS TOO OLD... I'm really sad :C
3: Mario party 8 and 9: When I was four, I played mario party 8 like every day. I breathed that game in more than I breathed actual air. I revisited the games for nostalgia and I forgot how much fun it is.
4: City Folk: I haven't really played City folk in a while but I'm giving it credit because of the amazing city music... I could fall asleep to it :love:

3DS/DS:
1: Ocarina of time: I'm playing the remake cause I don't have a 64 but I love the game, super duper fun.
2: Cooking Mama 2: Who else is in LOVE with this game? I grew up with this and seriously loved it.
3: Mario kart 7: This one's pretty new but I love mario kart and have gold in every CC and I'm mastering mirror.
4: Mario 64: Once again I don't have a 64 but I only play this so I can throw the baby penguins off the cliffs.

SNES/NES:
1: Mario Bros 3: I played this game a lot when I was little but I'm actually getting somewhere this time.
2: Original Mario Kart: I play this as Princess and Bowser always is my rival. It's fun to play the terrible graphics and still say that I can win.
3: Zelda 1 and 2: I haven't started these because I'm busy with ocarina of time and majora's mask but I think it will be fun to play a game that has more of a narrative.

Anyway, that's all! I'm not a super big gamer and I usually only play old games for memes and nostalgia but I grew up with these games and they were always a blast!

I like Legend of Zelda BOTW, all the marios lmao, and animal crossing new horizons. Now i am playing animal crossing new horizons and a Mario game that helps me learning japanese 😊

The definition of retro gaming varies. I've seen some say the game has to be at least 10 years old. For purposes of this thread, since this console generation (excluding Nintendo, because they are always doing their own thing) is nearly over, let's say anything at least 1 generation back. That would be PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U and back.

I've found that I'm getting more into retro gaming the older I get. I want to go back and play games that I never played back in the day, as well as replay ones I love. There's also some things about modern gaming I don't like (100GB+ mandatory installations before you can play the game, too much focus on DLC, games being incomplete on release, etc) that aren't an issue with older games. Sure, older games aren't perfect. If there's some bug in it, it's not getting fixed.

My favorite old video game console is probably the SNES if I had to pick one (too many greats!), but there's great games on pretty much every older console.

Other than AC:NH, I've been juggling several retro games right now. I'm playing:

The Idolmaster SP (PSP) - This is a modified port of the Xbox 360 Japanese only game (which I also own but haven't played much of), The Idolmaster. The graphics and sound is less good, but it has things in it the original game didn't have (the opposite is true too so it's worth owning both IMO). It's been fun going through it.

Road Rash 2 (Sega Genesis) - I never beat this. I want to see what happens when I beat it. I saw something about how you can have a race against all police, which sound entertaining.

Shining Force (Sega Genesis) - I never beat this as a kid on the original hardware, but I did beat it later on via an emulator. I'm playing on the Sega Genesis Mini, which is basically like playing on an emulator again, but it's nice to have a controller that's accurate to the original Genesis controllers. But I'm also going through the effort to level everyone up so I can promote them all, to see what they're like promoted. I never did that before.

I love retro gaming
I started playing videogames in the snes gen!!! Since then ive always prefered the nintendo consolesnandngames but had my share with ps1, ps2 xbox and dreamcast
But as you mention
As you get older it seems like the past games are the best
For me the whole game industry is too conplicated
The games are too conplex
Tge experience is not the same as before
Maybe thats because im getting old and tired of learning new things pr maybe is nostalgia hitting hard on my choices
But nowadays retrogaming is 80% of i usually play. And im so happy that we can still play the old classics thanks to emulation

i was NUTS for jurassic park operation genesis on the pc, i loved that game. im so sad it so rare because my original copy is lost to time and my computer cant run the new jurassic world evolution (despite owning it...)

also i loved zoo tycoon my whole childhood and luckily i have the complete collection. as well i had a genesis as a kid and loved the jurassic park game on there as well

I don't know if the Wii and Xbox 360 is retro at this point, but like I love Sonic 06 and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. Also screw it Pokémon Platinum is amazing.

NES: Megaman 1-5
Mega Drive: Sonic 3 & Knuckles
GBC: Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
N64: Zelda: Ocarina of Time
PS1: Crash Bandicoot 2, Crash Bandicoot: Warped
GBA: Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2
PC: Sonic Adventure DX, Half-Life

Last edited:
My favorite consoles of all time are the GameCube and PS2 so many good memories of hours spend on Melee, Mario Sunshine and Kingdom Hearts etc. Sadly my new TV doesn't support component cables for me to still hook up and play these games lol. Oh wait, the GBA also. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire were my favorites
Post automatically merged:

Oh yeah for SNES I would recommend Yoshis Island, Donkey Kong Country [Still brings the rage in me lol] and Super Mario World

Trails in the sky FC.

Also pokemon ranger but that's a replay.

To be honest the prologue of trails in the sky reminds me of pokemon ranger shadows of almia for some reason and I don't know why....

i've been playing Socom 1 and Socom 2 on the PS2. the community has a private server running and its nice to relieve my favorite multiplayer online games. Syphon Filter the omega strain is coming back soon as well.

Although i had consoles growing up, even back then I preferred PC gaming. The type of games available were completely different from console offerings. There weren’t many multiple platform releases.

My favorite genre of game to this day is the long dead Point and Click Adventure. Even though this style of game has a dedicated indie developer community (Steam has many titles), the golden age of the genre was in the 90s / early 00s.

The games consist of a series of puzzles, quests and often decisions that guide you through a cinematic story. Many have decision chains that alter the story based on your actions. In some games, such as The Dame was Loaded and Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, you have a limited time frame in which to complete a certain series of events which may lead to a sort of Groundhog Day like experience not completely unlike Zelda: Majora’s Mask.

Most games can still be played in basic compatibility modes, but some are now completely out of reach without actually building an older model PC on which to play them ( see The Neverhood).

Some of my favorite titles from the genre include...

Myst / Rivan
King’s Quest (I start at 6)
Space Quest (I start at 5)
The Dame was Loaded (entirely Live Action footage!)
The Neverhood (do not play Armikrog, the sad sad misguided, fan funded revival attempt)
Titanic: Adventure out of Time
Day of the Tentacle (recently remastered)
Grim Fandango (recently remastered)
Sam & Max
Syberia

to many people’s dismay i have never played the Monkey Island games, so they do not appear on my list, but are definitely worth mentioning any time we discuss the genre.

Some notable modern titles include Tales of the Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us, The Dream Machine, and Primordia.

if you are interested in experiencing this style of game play you can look at Steam or Good Old Games..... BUT first you should look at Play-old-pc-games.com the site has a lot of guidance for running old games on modern systems and a huge library of titles, many of whose disks would be next to impossible to find.

tl;dr
I like old point and Click adventures on PC. You should try them out.

i started gaming on a playstation 1 when i was a little child, so there a couple of very retro games that i don't think anyone has ever heard of but i can only recommend looking into them as the story telling, characters and just general gameplay in some of them still hold up in my opinion. i played everything with my siblings, so maybe that influenced my love to these games more.. anyways here i go:
- bloody roar 2 - a fighting game with a great story and diverse characters, the main mechanic being that every character can transform into an animal midfight and unlock new attacks and powers
- retro force - a top down space shooter with great story and characters, i don't remember the exact story but they travel through different worlds and times to save the universe i guess
- crash bandicoot - i don't think i need to explain a lot here
- rocket power - a skating board game based on the nickelodeon show, a real good time in my opinion
- tomb raider - again, most people know this gaming franchise
- lots of other racing games

there are generally lots of hidden gems on the ps1, i feel like back in the day sony cared more about creating a fun experience with good gameplay instead of just storytelling and crazy realistic graphics

besides that i also played lots of games on the classic gameboy and on the gameboy advance. the only games that stuck with me that i remember playing are a spongebob game based on the movie and obviously pokemon silver, pokemon emerald and pokemon firered :D

i'm trying to get through pokemon diamond, it's taken over 10 years and i've still never completed it
i also recently played the orginal mario kart and legend of zelda (on the switch online that is)

i haven't really played many retro games unless games on the ds, playstation and wii count lol

There are so many old games that I really love, know that I'll start listing these and get a strong desire to play them again. I love a lot of games on the DS (ACWW, Mario Kart, Cooking Mama) and Wii (Sports, Mario Kart, SSB) but I'll limit this list to my top 3 games that I had on the N64, NGC and PS2 or else this could get very long (obviously some of these were available on different consoles)

N64
  • Mario Party - I spent so many hours playing this game with my siblings when I was young, I thought at the time the mini games were fantastic and though they were so simple I could go back and play each one constantly (especially the Mushroom Mix-up)
  • Goldeneye 007 - A game that probably hasn't aged well but my sister and I got a lot of laughs out of playing it, who knew it was such fun shooting another character in a toilet cubicle? It was also always a great relief of mine whenever I re spawned in the vent in the facility and actually made it out.
  • Super Smash Bros - The game that started my love for the series, loved the fact you got to play as a variety of characters from different games and it was another great game for playing with family and friends, though sometimes it may have gotten a little too competitive.
  • Honorable mentions: Super Mario 64 (its the original and will always have a special place in my heart), 1080 Snowboarding, Donkey Kong 64
NGC - Probably my favourite console due to the amount of games I love on it
  • Super Mario Sunshine - I know a lot of people see this as very inferior to a lot of the other Mario games but I absolutely loved this, it was what got me so excited for 3D All Stars. I thought the island setting was great and loved exploring each new level, especially Pinna Park, Sirena Beach and Pianta Village. Though some shines could be a nightmare (Lily Pad and Pachinko Machine :rolleyes:), I found most of them enjoyable to collect.
  • Mario Kart Double Dash - I loved the idea of this game and think its a shame that its the only one where two racers could share the same car. In all honesty I wasn't actually any good at this Mario Kart game when it came to racing (could never stay on the track on Dino Dino Jungle bridge or Rainbow Road) but I was a pro at throwing items on the back while my sister drove.
  • Pokemon Colosseum - I've grown up playing most of the Pokemon games and this was one I've always enjoyed, plus it has a special place in my heart for using Espeon and Umbreon as the starters and inlacing my favourite legendary trio.
  • Honorable mentions: Mario Party 5&6 (love the mini games in these two), Legend of Zelda Wind Wakerm SSBM
PS2
  • James Bond Nightfire - This has always been my favourite James Bond game that I've played just for the fun I had on multiplayer mode, the areas really made this game for me, especially Skyrail which I spent so many hours playing on and always trying to grapple to the top to catch the first carriage before it left.
  • Final Fantasy X and X-2 - the first FF game I played and loved, in fact I have the remake on my Switch, I got so attached to the characters and their stories and I think that's what made me fall in love with it. Plus X-2 had Real Emotion in it and I loved that song.
  • The Simpsons Hit and Run - I thought Road Rage was great when it released but Hit and Run is far superior, another game that I adore the level design on and the fact I could get out the car on this game was great. Plus it was a very nice satisfaction when I didn't get caught after running too many people over and crashing into too many things
  • Honorable mentions: James Bond Everything or Nothing, Tony Hawk Underground and the WWE game where I could hit my sister with a shopping cart which I can't remember the name off.
This got really long oops 😅

Back