• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is the Worst remaster or remake of old games for you?

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
I do want to start this thread because I'm curious to see if there's anyone who didn't like the game remakes or found the remake to be a downgrade compared to the original.

Mine has to be Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl because they basically removed the QoL updates found in Pokemon Platinum along with the Giratina subplot (distortion world) and the Battle Frontier. Along with not improving from the chibi art style which the art style is acceptable when it was on the DS which has graphical limitations.

If they made the remake too faithful to the original, why even call it a remake at this point and just stick to the original versions.

What is the worst remake of an old game for you?

Honestly? The same one you listed. It felt very disappointing when compared to HeartGold & SoulSilver and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Which is a shame because my first Pokemon game was Diamond... Not only did I feel like it was missing a lot, it clearly came out rushed. A large part of the game was in an update and wasn't present on the game card. That's kinda ridiculous.

If it counts, I was also really disappointed in Pokemon Let's Go.
It seems to be a combination of Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Go. Who asked for this?
Pokemon Go's catching mechanics make since to be in a free-to-play mobile game, but not in a full priced game. Nearly every wild encounter feels like you're in the safari zone. Is that supposed to be fun? Finding a Pokemon you really want and it can just flee like that? Throughout the entire game? (I think the only exceptions were legendaries?) For some reason it also forced motion controls onto me whenever I played on the TV. That gets tiring really fast.
Even though this is pretty much a remake of Yellow, they left out the Pikachu surfing mini game. I know it required a Pikachu with Surf, but it still would have been fun to bring it back or at least make a replacement? The building wasn't even there if I remember correctly. (I should be grateful they at least brought back Jessie and James from Yellow, though.)
The other gen 1 remake, FireRed & LeafGreen, had an entire post-game area known as the Sevii Islands. This is not in Let's Go nor is there anything quite as interesting as it. Not to even mention these games have more Pokemon programmed into them than Let's Go does...
And let's not talk about that overpriced add-on to obtain a Mew...

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl were the games that came to mind when I saw this thread title. Glad to see it in the OP as well LOL.

Just such a waste of potential, ugly graphics, too loyal to a fault, horribly shiny character models, not much different from the originals, butchered contests, not updating the game to make it up to modern standards, so it just ends up with the consensus of, just do yourself a favour and play Platinum.

If someone told me what were the worst Pokemon games of the Pokemon franchise, I would say Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. FireRed and LeafGreen had their faults (like not letting you evolve mons to Gen2 evolutions before E4) but they at least improved the generation they were remaking. BDSP did none of that. Honestly, you could play Platinum and get better content than BDSP. The underground secret bases that you could decorate to your liking were replaced with statue storage rooms that change spawn rates. No villa. No leader rematches. You don't even get to get all the Gen4 mons until after beating the champion (Yanmega as an example). Also...you don't even get modern QoL features. So...no Exp. Candies so good luck with grinding. Mon models following you are terrible (see Ekans and Milotic as examples). These games have truly made me more skeptical about buying any future remakes and for GF that's a bad thing.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tales of Symphonia yet. There I have. It's the only Tales game I played, was one of the best and only rpgs on the Gamecube and was all around a great game with a great story and cast.

And then they tried to pass off last years game as a remake when it was just a quick cash grab. To me it was worst then whatever happened with Brilliant Diamond and Pearl. At least that one was playable, apparently the framerate in the ToS remake suffers a lot.

Oh without a doubt Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Not blaming ILCA whatsoever as they were only doing their job, but it was really not the smartest move on GameFreak's part letting another (rather inexperienced) group be in charge of a massive AAA title, especially when it was pretty much the most anticipated and highly desired remakes in Pokémon history.

We all thought the games would follow Sword & Shield in terms of game engine, gameplay and art style, just like the other remakes did before it, such as FRLG modeled after Ruby/Sapphire, HGSS with the original DPPT, ORAS with X and Y, and so on. I'm afraid the Black & White remakes (if we get them, I secretly hope we don't lol because it'll be disastrous) might be handled poorly as well.... Will they use the same engine/style as ScarVio or will GameFreak try something new? It's scary to think about...

Also, Final Fantasy VII Remake (I never played the original and I'm not too crazy about the franchise as a whole, but I understood it was a pretty big deal and a very important game. It has many fans and I can understand why. It was a groundbreaking game for its time) started off super promising but sadly ended up being hot trash, which is a shame. I'm not a fan and even I was disappointed it was a flop.

Dead Space Remake looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays amazing, but the changes to the story and characters (along with some other questionable changes/additions I won't get into) really ruined it... I vastly prefer the atmosphere of the original game.

Resident Evil 3 Remake...... smh don't even get me started on that. As a game on its own, it's good, but as a remake? Hell no... it's ****ing awful. I just... It really.... ugh I can't. Perfect example of cash grab. Capcom pulled a GameFreak, pretty much lol

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: The "Definitive" Edition is such a blatant cash grab it's not even funny. Thank god the remaster flopped because it was clearly not ready for release. There are glitches and crashes that didn't exist in the original, characters that look horrifying in HD and feels like a huge step backwards from 20+ year old games. The "port" was done by the infamous Grove Street Games, who infamously did the HD "ports" of GTA San Andreas a decade ago under the name of War Drum Games.

Oh without a doubt Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Not blaming ILCA whatsoever as they were only doing their job, but it was really not the smartest move on GameFreak's part letting another (rather inexperienced) group be in charge of a massive AAA title, especially when it was pretty much the most anticipated and highly desired remakes in Pokémon history.

We all thought the games would follow Sword & Shield in terms of game engine, gameplay and art style, just like the other remakes did before it, such as FRLG modeled after Ruby/Sapphire, HGSS with the original DPPT, ORAS with X and Y, and so on. I'm afraid the Black & White remakes (if we get them, I secretly hope we don't lol because it'll be disastrous) might be handled poorly as well.... Will they use the same engine/style as ScarVio or will GameFreak try something new? It's scary to think about...

Also, Final Fantasy VII Remake (I never played the original and I'm not too crazy about the franchise as a whole, but I understood it was a pretty big deal and a very important game. It has many fans and I can understand why. It was a groundbreaking game for its time) started off super promising but sadly ended up being hot trash, which is a shame. I'm not a fan and even I was disappointed it was a flop.

Dead Space Remake looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays amazing, but the changes to the story and characters (along with some other questionable changes/additions I won't get into) really ruined it... I vastly prefer the atmosphere of the original game.

Resident Evil 3 Remake...... smh don't even get me started on that. As a game on its own, it's good, but as a remake? Hell no... it's ****ing awful. I just... It really.... ugh I can't. Perfect example of cash grab. Capcom pulled a GameFreak, pretty much lol

At least for graphical style, yeah I agree BDSP was a flop. It's why people call Legends Arceus the true Gen 4 remake, because graphically similar to Sword and Shield.

I feel that more and more often games are being slapped with new textures and labeled as a 'remaster'. Often sold at full retail value. And sure, maybe the definition of remaster is loose, but still carries a soulless feeling to me.

I'm fond of stuff like Ocarina of Time 3D and Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. Heck, this isn't popular, but even Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl had felt okay to me. They all differed in art style or felt changed in some way.

Just do something different please. It's pure personal preference, but nothing disappoints me more than picking up a remaster being a slight new coat of paint over an ancient game.

(To directly answer the question, I picked up the Final Fantasy 10 remaster right after Xenoblade: Definitive Edition). I was so sad about the lack of graphical improvement.

i bought the remaster of tales of symphonia , i didn't actually notice how bad it was until i watched a couple of reviews and then the nostalgia wore off and it's all i could think about lol

Star Wars: KotOR on the Switch. Half the screen gets taken up by a needlessly large box while in combat.

I would go with BDSP the same way. After replaying BDSP a 2nd time my opinion is still the same. Its not as good as Platinum nor its not any better than the past remakes we have gotten in the past. It should've been remade from what Platinum did and not what the original DP was. It should've brought back modern mechanics that we have become used too like Being able to use TMs as many times as we want, Overworld Pokemon appearing in Tall Grass, Trainer Customizations, and making the game look like Sword/Shield but better graphics.

Do I think this is the worst? No not really. It still plays like a typical Pokemon game that you played so many times in the past so its nothing new. If you give this to someone who has never played Pokemon before then yeah they might see its a great game, but if you're someone who has played the original DP and Platinum then it would just feel really underwhelming and not as impressive as you thought it was.

Overall this is not one of my favorite remakes. Even though the game itself is decent it fails in terms of "Remake" value that you would expect it to be. So I would give this game a 5.5/10

For me, the worst remake has to be The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D. Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all-time, but the remake just falls so flat. It's a shame since after Ocarina of Time 3D, I was really hoping they'd do a Majora's Mask 3D version. I was honestly really excited for Majora's Mask 3D when it was first announced. I was hoping it'd be like Ocarina of Time 3D, where they left the core of Ocarina of Time alone while improving the graphics and controls. Unfortunately, it ended up being a huge disappointment since they ended up changing a lot of core things about Majora's Mask that contributed to the remake being very compared to the original game. Off the top of my head, the changes I felt were awful include the original Zora swimming not being the default and being locked behind magic, the bosses all being redesigned to force the whole Majora eyeball into them when it felt unnecessary in some cases (like with Goht, which was my favorite boss ever), the new Bomber's Notebook being too intrusive and handhold-y for my liking, and the change in saving mechanics and adding a bunch more save points nerfed all the pressure and atmosphere created by the time mechanic. I only ended up playing the remake for one playthrough, where I 100%ed it and never touched it again, but I've played the original Majora's Mask a bunch more times since then.

Unfortunately the only one that comes to mind for me is also BDSP... that was an unnecessary remake for sure, with not much more added to the gameplay. I liked the top-down perspective since recent Pokemon games give me really bad motion sickness... but otherwise BDSP contributed basically nothing to the franchise.

Definitely BDSP,, I spent way too much time playing it because I love pokemon but it really is a huge joke of a remake. So many Sinnoh fans awaited a great remake and instead got one of the worst games in the mainline series. Terrible graphics, many cut features, no good online experience,
It was supposed to be a true-to-the-original remake, but it wasn’t even that. It’s much worse than the original.
At least legends arceus was fun. That game could’ve also been made a lot better tho

Final Fantasy X’s remaster was the worst for me. The characters facial expressions are harder to see and the way they tried to make them look like how they do in the cutscenes look pretty weird and off. The soundtrack: what did they do to it? It was so beautiful before. It really turned me off.

I didn’t actually play Brilliant Diamond and Pearl but I played the originals and loved the 2d graphics over the 3d. I read they removed the game corner too :/. Game corner was always fun in the original pokemon games and in Diamond and added to the charm.

…I didn’t actually play Brilliant Diamond and Pearl but I played the originals and loved the 2d graphics over the 3d. I read they removed the game corner too :/. Game corner was always fun in the original pokemon games and in Diamond and added to the charm.
The Game Corner was removed not by choice but by legal regulations on the depiction of gambling in games, so that wasn’t really Game Freak’s decision.
The sprite art was better, though.

The Game Corner was removed not by choice but by legal regulations on the depiction of gambling in games, so that wasn’t really Game Freak’s decision.
The sprite art was better, though.

Ah thanks for clarifying. I still don’t get the decision. It’s not like they were asking for RLC. Really odd since movies show gambling and don’t get in trouble for it.

Back