• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Retro gaming dicussion thread! Let's talk old games! What do you like? What are you playing?

DJStarstryker

Bells
The definition of retro gaming varies. I've seen some say the game has to be at least 10 years old. For purposes of this thread, since this console generation (excluding Nintendo, because they are always doing their own thing) is nearly over, let's say anything at least 1 generation back. That would be PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U and back.

I've found that I'm getting more into retro gaming the older I get. I want to go back and play games that I never played back in the day, as well as replay ones I love. There's also some things about modern gaming I don't like (100GB+ mandatory installations before you can play the game, too much focus on DLC, games being incomplete on release, etc) that aren't an issue with older games. Sure, older games aren't perfect. If there's some bug in it, it's not getting fixed.

My favorite old video game console is probably the SNES if I had to pick one (too many greats!), but there's great games on pretty much every older console.

Other than AC:NH, I've been juggling several retro games right now. I'm playing:

The Idolmaster SP (PSP) - This is a modified port of the Xbox 360 Japanese only game (which I also own but haven't played much of), The Idolmaster. The graphics and sound is less good, but it has things in it the original game didn't have (the opposite is true too so it's worth owning both IMO). It's been fun going through it.

Road Rash 2 (Sega Genesis) - I never beat this. I want to see what happens when I beat it. I saw something about how you can have a race against all police, which sound entertaining.

Shining Force (Sega Genesis) - I never beat this as a kid on the original hardware, but I did beat it later on via an emulator. I'm playing on the Sega Genesis Mini, which is basically like playing on an emulator again, but it's nice to have a controller that's accurate to the original Genesis controllers. But I'm also going through the effort to level everyone up so I can promote them all, to see what they're like promoted. I never did that before.

I'm not sure I'd count the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U generation as retro but you do you! I'd say more like... PS2 and before.

I love retro games, especially for the PSX and SNES. I didn't get to have a SNES so learning more about the system over the years has been really fun and I've ended up loving it. The PSX because I'm really nostalgic for it, it was my main system growing up and there are still so many games I haven't played!

I like a lot of old games. I just started trying to play more of the NES and SNES games available on the Switch, and I'm currently playing Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros.

In a week when Super Mario 3D All-Stars is released, I'll be playing Super Mario 64. And then I'll continue on to Sunshine and Galaxy. Either that or I'll just switch between them depending on my mood~

First, I want to mention I never got around to playing games on the SNES, N64, and Gamecube. I also never owned an Xbox and the original Playstation. Moreover, I'll only mention the games that I think are worth talking about (cause I have a lot of old games and it'll take forever lol). Buckle up! It's going to be a long ride.

NES:
I played The Legend of Zelda a while back and managed to 100% the game. I have yet to touch the second quest because I feel I'm not up to it yet despite playing 95% of the Zelda games (excluding spinoffs).

The next game I played on the system is Top Gun, which is based on the movie with the same name. What you pretty much do is shoot down enemy aircraft and avoid their attacks while flying around. Even on the first level, I was struggling pretty badly and never got far. And oh dear, the landing phases are so hard to do I'd rather not even bother trying. Thankfully, you still progress regardless of the outcome.

Super Mario Bros. 3. Perhaps one of the best Mario games ever, especially considering it's on the NES. I believe this is the first video game I ever played, so this holds a special place in my heart. I even have memories watching my dad finish the game and myself trying to do the same. While there's no save function on this game, I'm not bothered at all because the fun is still there. My personal favourite world is giant land!

Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, is a VERY challenging game. I only completed it twice. Not sure when I'll ever come around to playing it again.

Lastly, Mike Tyson's Punch Out. My dad played this game back when he was in high school and he still plays it to this day! Despite playing it for a long time, he barely reached to the end but could never beat Mike Tyson. As for myself, I remember the first time trying out the game. I lost to Glass Joe numerous times despite being the first opponent you fight. As for how far I got, I think I got up to Bald Bull. Basically, this game is all about having fast reflexes and knowing the attack patterns of your opponents.

Gameboy Advance:
Because of the system being backwards compatible with the colour and original Gameboy games, I'll include all of them in this section.

Game & Watch: Gallery 4 is basically a collection of Game & Watch games that were released back in the 80s including 'modern' twists to them with Mario characters we all know and love. Even though gameplay is pretty simple, getting a highscore is challenging and fun, especially on harder difficulty. My personal favourites are Fire, Fire Attack, Mario's Cement Factory, and Mario Bros. Even the soundtrack is pretty awesome despite compression due to the Gameboy hardware.

Mario Kart Super Circuit is the first Mario Kart I ever played and bears some similarities to Super Mario Kart gameplay-wise. I remember playing it every day after school in first grade until my parents set restrictions. Still pretty fun and I don't mind playing it again.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I have a feeling that this is the first Zelda game I ever played. It's very underrated in the Zelda community and should be discussed more in my opinion. It seems to focus heavily on combat, but playing it was still pretty fun defeating enemies.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages is another underrated Zelda game, and it focuses heavily around puzzles. The dungeons in this game really make you think and look at the bigger picture (seriously, there's this one dungeon that probably took me at least an hour to complete compared to the divine beasts in BotW which only averages around 15 minutes). If you're looking for puzzles, give this a try. Sadly, I'm very close to completing it but can't proceed further because it keeps on freezing. Though maybe cleaning the cartridge with alcohol might help me finish the game once and for all.

The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap. The first thing that comes into my mind when hearing this game is Ezlo. He is Link's companion throughout the game and I find it pretty cute that he's a bird that is a hat. Again, it's another one of those underrated Zelda games. I still remember watching my dad defeating the final boss.

DS:
I've recently played Mario Kart DS again after so many years and 90% of the time I did on there was play balloon battle. Despite not playing it for years, my skills for taking out opponents on hard difficulty have not diminished. If anything, I got better. My first experience with the game was back somewhere in mid to late 2000s. Back in my former home, I went to the washroom as usual but I saw the Pink DS lite chilling there for whatever reason. Upon opening it, this game was on. I was immediately hooked and started racing multiple cups. I even managed to win them! As for how long I stayed in the washroom playing the game, it was probably an hour before I stopped and this was in the morning while my family was still asleep haha. As for the multiplayer aspect, let's just say I had a lot of fun and so much screaming, laughing, and shouting was involved.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass had sailing involved and is a sequel to Wind Waker. Back then, I didn't progress very far because this one temple that you keep revisiting throughout the game had phantoms that scared me every time they saw me. So scared, I immediately ran out of the temple because I thought they were gonna chase me all the way. Eventually, I came overcame my fears and managed to complete the game years after first playing it.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is all about travelling on a train and you had Zelda as your companion throughout the game! This is my favourite out of these two Zelda games and one of the many games that I played for hours.

Wii:

Wii Sports is the first game I played on the console which was bundled with it. I got it for my 8th birthday (I think) and the most vivid memories I have from there is that my family and I were struggling to win a match in tennis and that I accidentally let go of the Wii Remote while playing bowling and hit the TV screen. Thankfully, nothing was broken and that same TV is still being used to this day!

My first 3D Zelda game experience was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and was blown away at first sight. I still remember saying something along the lines like "Oh my! Link is all grown up!" Since I was young at the time and this game had realistic graphics, I was easily scared by enemies and because of that, I didn't progress further until finally building up the courage years later.

PSP:
The only PSP game I'll be talking about is Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception. It's a flight action game where you complete mission objectives and shoot down enemy aircraft. It even has a story behind it involving fictional aircraft alongside real ones! The Ace Combat series as a whole is pretty underrated (yes, I'm aware I've been using that word so many times now lol) and the soundtrack is so great! This is the game I want to replay it soooo badly, but the PSP can't read the game anymore, unfortunately. At least I still have the game itself.

Fun fact: This is the game where I got my island name from! Aurelia is the name where the game takes place. Moreover, I've had a couple of my villagers call me Gryphus 1 which is the main protagonist you play as.

PS2:
Despite the game being over 15 years old, I still find myself playing Gran Turismo 4 fairly often. There are hundreds of cars from that game ranging from everyday cars to race cars. Since it released back in late 2004, you won't find car models beyond the time of its release. That means the 'newest' cars you can buy are from the early 2000s. Sure, it may not be 100% realistic even though it claims to be a "Real Driving Simulator" but even then, it's still fun to drive different kinds of cars. Tuning an everyday road car to the max to challenge a sports car is pretty funny and satisfying at the same time when you manage to win a race. I don't know why the gaming community ignores racing games like these because it's got some nice soundtracks!
PS3:
Lastly, I'll be talking about Gran Turismo 5. Unfortunately, I'm unable to play the game because the PS3 controller has gone very jittery after years of not using it. It's already a struggle trying to navigate the console's menu, so I have to buy a third party controller. Anyways, I remember being blown away by the graphics when I first played the game (if you thought that was silly, ask the people when they first played the original Gran Turismo. Some might say it looked 'real' back then). It's pretty much similar to Gran Turismo 4, but with even more cars, more tracks to race on, customization, going online (which sadly closed down years ago) and creating your own tracks. Apparently, there are some layouts you could randomly get where there's a huge bump on top of the hill and can send your car flying high in the sky at full speed! Even the opponents fall for it every lap and it's entertaining to see them fly one after the other. Yeah, "The Real Driving Simulator" indeed lol.

I hope you survived reading giant walls of text! Thanks for reading my post!

Ohhh boi. I used to have so many nintendo retro consoles in the early 2010s, I sold most of them though cause I never played and I needed money for other things. I had some good fun with the handhelds though, was never that big of a tv-monitor gamer except some n64 games haha

We've never sold any of our old home consoles so we still play them very frequently. My favorite consoles to go back to are the Wii and Gamecube. Gamecube just has so many good and nostalgic titles on there we grew up with and they also have tons of replay value. Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, F-Zero GX, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Kirby Air Ride, any Mario Party game, Sonic Riders, etc. are some of the main ones that come to my mind for the Gamecube. For the Wii, we love to play Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii Sports Resort, Mario and Sonic Olympic series, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Mario Party 8 and more. We also go back to our Dreamcast to play Sonic Shuffle, but there are other titles like Powerstone 1 & 2, Ooga Booga, Fur Fighters and others.

I absolutely love the appeal of retro games. I find it really hard to get into newer games these days no matter how good they are because of a lack of time/energy.

Aw, my old consoles (Nintendo DS & GBA) are broken. I might have them repaired but it's nowhere in the near future due to the pandemic.

During quarantine I played a lot of LoZ: The Minish Cap! I think it's a very underrated GBA game, I had absolute fun with it. It also had very cute graphics. I feel like the game was way ahead of its time comparing it to other GBA games.
I also played a good amount of time with Mario Party Advance. Mario Party DS set my expectations of other Mario Party games too high so it may be why I didn't enjoy the GBA version as much, but that's just me.
I might get Super Mario 3D All-Stars; SM64 has got to be my most favorite Super Mario game, though I played it on the DS so playing its original version will definitely be an experience. I've also been meaning to try out SM Galaxy and Sunshine, as I heard it shares its similarities with SMO and right now I am LOVING SMO!

I'm not sure I'd count the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U generation as retro but you do you! I'd say more like... PS2 and before.

I don't in general, but I'm trying to be inclusive. There's a lot of young people on this site. I actually have a hard time calling even the PS2 retro yet, but I think it's because it makes me feel more old when I do. lol I feel like I should though, since PS2 doesn't even have an HDMI port, to my frustration.

I like a lot of old games. I just started trying to play more of the NES and SNES games available on the Switch, and I'm currently playing Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros.

In a week when Super Mario 3D All-Stars is released, I'll be playing Super Mario 64. And then I'll continue on to Sunshine and Galaxy. Either that or I'll just switch between them depending on my mood~

Nice. I'm planning to get an online membership for Switch soon because I'm tired of missing certain things in NH. I plan to take advantage of the NES and SNES games myself while I'm at it.

I haven't actually pulled the trigger on buying Super Mario 3D All-Stars yet. I'm actually leaning more towards spending more money and getting a Turbografx-16 Mini instead. I've been wanting one for a while. I never have played any TG-16 games, but I've been interested for a long time.

First, I want to mention I never got around to playing games on the SNES, N64, and Gamecube. I also never owned an Xbox and the original Playstation. Moreover, I'll only mention the games that I think are worth talking about (cause I have a lot of old games and it'll take forever lol). Buckle up! It's going to be a long ride.
(snip)

I read your entire post! I'm glad other people here love retro games too. :)

I have never played the second quest for The Legend of Zelda but I've always wanted to. I actually went through the effort and drew this ginormous map, by hand, of TLoZ last time I played it (a year or so ago). I plan to pull it out when I play second quest eventually to see the
changes. You seem like you really love the Zelda series, so you might want to try The Link to the Past (SNES) and Ocarina of Time (N64) eventually if you can. Ocarina of Time has a 3DS port that's very good and is an option. The Link to the Past is available as a SNES game on Switch if you have an online account.

I've played all of the NES games you've mentioned except Top Gun. Admittedly there's a lot of NES games I want to go back and play that I never have yet.

Ohhh boi. I used to have so many nintendo retro consoles in the early 2010s, I sold most of them though cause I never played and I needed money for other things. I had some good fun with the handhelds though, was never that big of a tv-monitor gamer except some n64 games haha

Yeah, I used to have an actual NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and N64. I kinda regret getting rid of those. :( That's part of the reason I ended up buying the NES Classic and SNES Classic when they came out - to sort of replace them. Retro gaming on actual hardware is getting so expensive because of video game collectors, so it'd be way more expensive to buy the old hardware and all of those old respective game cartridges than to own the mini consoles.

We've never sold any of our old home consoles so we still play them very frequently. My favorite consoles to go back to are the Wii and Gamecube. Gamecube just has so many good and nostalgic titles on there we grew up with and they also have tons of replay value. Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, F-Zero GX, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Kirby Air Ride, any Mario Party game, Sonic Riders, etc. are some of the main ones that come to my mind for the Gamecube. For the Wii, we love to play Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii Sports Resort, Mario and Sonic Olympic series, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Mario Party 8 and more. We also go back to our Dreamcast to play Sonic Shuffle, but there are other titles like Powerstone 1 & 2, Ooga Booga, Fur Fighters and others.

I absolutely love the appeal of retro games. I find it really hard to get into newer games these days no matter how good they are because of a lack of time/energy.

Admittedly, I haven't played enough Gamecube games. I was always busy playing other things.

Aw, my old consoles (Nintendo DS & GBA) are broken. I might have them repaired but it's nowhere in the near future due to the pandemic.

During quarantine I played a lot of LoZ: The Minish Cap! I think it's a very underrated GBA game, I had absolute fun with it. It also had very cute graphics. I feel like the game was way ahead of its time comparing it to other GBA games.
I also played a good amount of time with Mario Party Advance. Mario Party DS set my expectations of other Mario Party games too high so it may be why I didn't enjoy the GBA version as much, but that's just me.
I might get Super Mario 3D All-Stars; SM64 has got to be my most favorite Super Mario game, though I played it on the DS so playing its original version will definitely be an experience. I've also been meaning to try out SM Galaxy and Sunshine, as I heard it shares its similarities with SMO and right now I am LOVING SMO!

You might be able to fix your DS and GBA yourself, depending on what's wrong with them. I've actually had good luck repairing things by looking up videos on YouTube. My PSP was not playing games about 2 months ago. After a bunch of research online, I found out that the only problem with it is that the motor that powers the laser that reads the UMDs needed oil. I literally just removed the battery (for safety!), put oil in the motor, put the battery back in, and boom. It's been working perfect since. I also had to replace my Vita's thumb sticks because they were having drift (it's similar to the Switch drift issues). I just bought some cheap parts online, unscrewed the Vita, took out the old thumb sticks very carefully, and put the new ones in.

Nice. I'm planning to get an online membership for Switch soon because I'm tired of missing certain things in NH. I plan to take advantage of the NES and SNES games myself while I'm at it.

I haven't actually pulled the trigger on buying Super Mario 3D All-Stars yet. I'm actually leaning more towards spending more money and getting a Turbografx-16 Mini instead. I've been wanting one for a while. I never have played any TG-16 games, but I've been interested for a long time.

I got the membership as soon as it came out since I love playing Splatoon 2 online. Having access to the NES and SNES games is definitely nice as well though. I've been enjoying the recent addition of Super Mario All-Stars. I'd never actually played those versions of the games before.

Ooh, I've never heard of that console before to be honest. I'll have to look it up. I've always been a Mario fan though, so Super Mario 3D All-Stars is the game I want the most at the moment!

I got the membership as soon as it came out since I love playing Splatoon 2 online. Having access to the NES and SNES games is definitely nice as well though. I've been enjoying the recent addition of Super Mario All-Stars. I'd never actually played those versions of the games before.

Ooh, I've never heard of that console before to be honest. I'll have to look it up. I've always been a Mario fan though, so Super Mario 3D All-Stars is the game I want the most at the moment!

I haven't had an online membership for Switch because I don't have Smash, Splatoon 2, or Mario Maker 2. It would've been a no brainer to buy if I had some of those, but it's hard to justify just for Animal Crossing. I only ever get online for trading in AC.

Super Mario All-Stars is great though. It's kinda neat to be able to see those games with SNES graphics. My favorite part about it was, back in the day, that was the only way to play The Lost Levels outside of Japan. I've never actually beaten The Lost Levels though. I need to go back and try again. It's just very hard!

The Turbografx-16/PC Engine came out in the late '80s, before the SNES and Sega Genesis, and had nicer graphics than the NES. It wasn't as popular as the NES however. It was also really expensive at the time - $400 when it came out and no game included. $400 in 1989 is over $800 now after inflation. (To compare, the NES was $100 at the time, or about $200 now after inflation, and came with Super Mario Bros.) I never played it back then because of that. My parents simply couldn't afford it. There's some really great looking games that came out for it though.

My childhood was never NES, Commodore 64, Atari...or anything super retro like that...

But, I loved Sega Genesis as a kid...and loved PS1 after that. And Gameboy Color. Those three systems perfectly represent different periods of my childhood. Even now...I have the PS and Genesis mini consoles on my desk. Those are the only "consoles" I have in my bedroom. All of my modern systems...PS4, XB1, Switch, etc...those are all set up in the living room. But, I knew I wanted the PS and Genesis minis to be right here...in case I felt like playing a random oldie. Plus, both of those systems give me nostalgic feels from appearance alone. I enjoy simply having them right here to look at whenever I want.

Last edited:
I played all the very old retro zelda games and a few mario ones. But l remember only liking one of those the best like Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons or Ages and l liked the old Mario Kart games. I still didn't finish Pokèmon Crystal and l had that game for a long time....Same with Mother 3. Like what is the matter with me forgetting those games.
Post automatically merged:

But if you count DSi games retro. Then yeah l played many of those old games too.

I haven't had an online membership for Switch because I don't have Smash, Splatoon 2, or Mario Maker 2. It would've been a no brainer to buy if I had some of those, but it's hard to justify just for Animal Crossing. I only ever get online for trading in AC.

Super Mario All-Stars is great though. It's kinda neat to be able to see those games with SNES graphics. My favorite part about it was, back in the day, that was the only way to play The Lost Levels outside of Japan. I've never actually beaten The Lost Levels though. I need to go back and try again. It's just very hard!

The Turbografx-16/PC Engine came out in the late '80s, before the SNES and Sega Genesis, and had nicer graphics than the NES. It wasn't as popular as the NES however. It was also really expensive at the time - $400 when it came out and no game included. $400 in 1989 is over $800 now after inflation. (To compare, the NES was $100 at the time, or about $200 now after inflation, and came with Super Mario Bros.) I never played it back then because of that. My parents simply couldn't afford it. There's some really great looking games that came out for it though.

That makes sense. I used the online for Animal Crossing a lot at first, but now I barely use it either.

Yeah, playing the games with SNES graphics is an interesting experience!

Ah, that would probably explain why I haven't heard of it. I doubt my parents would have wanted to spend that much on a console. We only had Nintendo and Sega consoles back then

I read your entire post! I'm glad other people here love retro games too. :)

I have never played the second quest for The Legend of Zelda but I've always wanted to. I actually went through the effort and drew this ginormous map, by hand, of TLoZ last time I played it (a year or so ago). I plan to pull it out when I play second quest eventually to see the
changes. You seem like you really love the Zelda series, so you might want to try The Link to the Past (SNES) and Ocarina of Time (N64) eventually if you can. Ocarina of Time has a 3DS port that's very good and is an option. The Link to the Past is available as a SNES game on Switch if you have an online account.

I've played all of the NES games you've mentioned except Top Gun. Admittedly there's a lot of NES games I want to go back and play that I never have yet.
That's pretty cool of you to do that! Making physical notes to keep track of stuff. My dad did something similar like that back then too. I did play those Zelda games that you've mentioned. Speaking of A Link to the Past, I remember having the audacity to complete the ice dungeon without the sword (by lending your master sword to the blacksmith for a while to be upgraded) and having to rely on the items I had at the time. It was pretty tough, but I actually made it all the way through without getting a game over! The only Zelda games I didn't play are Four Swords, Tri Force Heroes, and basically other titles that involved multiplayer. And no, we don't talk about those CDI Zelda games on here.

I somehow forgot to mention this in my original post, but I also really liked playing Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced and Crash Nitro Kart on the Gameboy Advance (there's also a console version of Nitro Kart but I don't own those). Moreover, I vaguely remember going to my cousin's house and played the original Crash Team Racing and Crash Twinsanity. So yeah, even some of my relatives are a fan of Crash Bandicoot. :)

I used to buy retro games often so I'd play them quite a bit back then, but in the last 2-3 years since packing them away I haven't played much. But recently I got a SNES Mini and put a bunch of my fave games on there so I'm been playing those a bit. SNES is definitely my favourite console. Yoshi's Island is probably my favourite game of all time.

Also in the last couple of days I've started playing Vice City for about the 100th time, I love that game so much, I'll never get bored of it.

My childhood was never NES, Commodore 64, Atari...or anything super retro like that...

But, I loved Sega Genesis as a kid...and loved PS1 after that. And Gameboy Color. Those three systems perfectly represent different periods of my childhood. Even now...I have the PS and Genesis mini consoles on my desk. Those are the only "consoles" I have in my bedroom. All of my modern systems...PS4, XB1, Switch, etc...those are all set up in the living room. But, I knew I wanted the PS and Genesis minis to be right here...in case I felt like playing a random oldie. Plus, both of those systems give me nostalgic feels from appearance alone. I enjoy simply having them right here to look at whenever I want.

So... this is my own personal opinion, but I think most of the early video games from the '70s simply don't age well. Many games that old almost feel a bit too simplistic and antiquated. It's not all of them for sure. Some can be fun, such as Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Pitfall. They can be mildly amusing, but they most are not the type of game you'll spend hours on, or even necessarily want to come back to. 8 and 16 bit 2D graphics I find age well, but the really old games are way, way too blocky. It kind of reminds me of the blockyness of some of the early 3D games from PS1 and N64 era that don't age well, but from a 2D perspective.

Anyway, just saying I don't think you missed out on some of those things. NES though... There's a lot of good gems there. :)

I used to buy retro games often so I'd play them quite a bit back then, but in the last 2-3 years since packing them away I haven't played much. But recently I got a SNES Mini and put a bunch of my fave games on there so I'm been playing those a bit. SNES is definitely my favourite console. Yoshi's Island is probably my favourite game of all time.

Also in the last couple of days I've started playing Vice City for about the 100th time, I love that game so much, I'll never get bored of it.

Yoshi's Island is great. Baby Mario's crying is annoying, but the level design for this game is fantastic.

I need to put more games on my mini consoles too. These things are great to be little emulation boxes.

So... this is my own personal opinion, but I think most of the early video games from the '70s simply don't age well. Many games that old almost feel a bit too simplistic and antiquated. It's not all of them for sure. Some can be fun, such as Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Pitfall. They can be mildly amusing, but they most are not the type of game you'll spend hours on, or even necessarily want to come back to. 8 and 16 bit 2D graphics I find age well, but the really old games are way, way too blocky. It kind of reminds me of the blockyness of some of the early 3D games from PS1 and N64 era that don't age well, but from a 2D perspective.

Anyway, just saying I don't think you missed out on some of those things. NES though... There's a lot of good gems there. :)

Oh...I have for sure played NES and whatnot on emulation. I just don't have nostalgia for that era...because, it wasn't really my jam. Lol. Like you said...most of that stuff hasn't aged great, tbh. Some of it is worthy of playing just for a historical perspective. But...the stuff that I have a true affinity for is the stuff that I played during my own formative years. I'm almost 32 years old. So...Sega Genesis literally released around the same time I was born. Anything before that...I honestly just forced myself to play to see what was up. But I never had any real love for most of it. Hahaha.

Yoshi's Island is great. Baby Mario's crying is annoying, but the level design for this game is fantastic.

I need to put more games on my mini consoles too. These things are great to be little emulation boxes.
Haha yeah the crying is quite annoying! Luckily I've played it so much I'm pretty good and rarely hear it anymore when I play.

I need to get a NES mini and Mega Drive one, too, and then I'll be covered for loads of great games to play 😊

Other than ACNH and Wargroove, I mainly play only retro games nowadays. I haven't played my AV Famicom in almost a year, but that's purely because of convenience. I've hooked both my modded mini consoles (NES Classic and Super Famicom Mini) so I can play something quick when I'm in the mood for some games.

Lately, I've been playing Advance Wars again because I reo love the Wars series. Still need to apply the translation patch to Super Famicom Wars (although I probably shouldn't do it and use the game as an opportunity to keep studying japanese).

Sometimes I play Captain Commando and Kiki Kaikai with my nephew, and almost everytime I'm on my pc, I end up playing either Sim City 2000 or SF3: Third Strike and DoDonPachi on the emulator (I use Final Burn Alpha).

Other than ACNH and Wargroove, I mainly play only retro games nowadays. I haven't played my AV Famicom in almost a year, but that's purely because of convenience. I've hooked both my modded mini consoles (NES Classic and Super Famicom Mini) so I can play something quick when I'm in the mood for some games.

Nice. How do you use your Famicom? Do you have a CRT TV?

I'm in my late 30's so obviously I grew up looking at CRTs, but I just can't do it anymore. It hurts my eyes. I considered buying a Famicom and a Super Famicom when I was living in Japan, but I didn't want to buy a CRT and didn't know at the time that it's possible to make them work on modern TVs with modding.

Back