• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinion on Disney's "live action" remake trend?

I can't comment on the live-action remakes themselves as I haven't watched any of them, though they do feel unnecessary to me. It feels more like a cash grab from Disney than anything else.

Unpopular opinion but I am really enjoying this trend.

I love the stories in old Disney films, but the art style feels dated (as opposed to timeless) to me and they just don't hold my attention anymore. Maybe that's because I rewatched them all a million times in the 90s - I was a massive Disney fan back then. I still have a framed Aladdin poster in my closet that I remember getting at a marketplace in the mid-90s. Anyway, regardless of what caused me to fall out of love with them, I find that the remakes are breathing new life into classic stories and presenting them in a way I'm able to re-connect and engage with as an adult. I loved Aladdin, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, and Pinocchio. I'm also really looking forward to seeing The Little Mermaid.

It's ****ing trash and it needs to stop, seriously. They are slaughtering their classics just to re-introduce them to the current generation and for the sake of keeping the name alive. I feel Disney is just screwing around at this point. The old movies are still enjoyable and watchable to this day imo like, if I want to see good Mulan and The Lion King I can literally go re-watch the originals another 50 times and still enjoy the hell out of them. What, I wonder, will be the straw that finally breaks the camel's back for them to realize the horrible mistakes they've made?

In other words, I don't like it.

They're bad and it needs to end. I hate the changes and its awful. Only one i liked was the Jungle Book one, didn't really like it but it was more entertaining than the original.

I haven't seen one, but they just seem so boring to me. The animated versions just have so much life to them and it just gets lost in translation. All the time and talent is better used on original ideas.

Like for example, Enchanted is just such a fun movie and that's how live action Disney should be like.

I've seen some of them. Though, researching, it seems I've hardly seen a lot of them. Never even knew they made a Lady and Tramp again, but the trailer does intruge me a lot more than any of the other trailers I've seen in the past.

You could tell a big change in how much they got back from the box office from older generation films, and wanted to relive that again. But like trying to flash their cool live action and CGI in our faces without it being really useful for most of the films they used it in. Instead of just showing off the film in a better animation then they had budget for.

I swear, if you had one audience watch the first animated film and then the live action, and another group watch the live action first before the animated; it's possible most people would appeal more to the animation.
Again, other's had said it, but animation gives us outlet to escape reality and the magic and wracky stuff in cartoons, and we can ' ' our beliefs.
So putting all this into a live action, there's times where you can't help but imagine this live action to be too realistic so the cartoon wracky that they try and add in eith CGI or something, feels off. Theyre literally ruining the magic they created.
We sadly don't have a lot of magic that these films have in our reality. so again it feels off.

And they always seem to ruin the actual stories of the films. Yes, you can change things, I actually would recommend Disney making films and shows, where the older stories are a base to the work, but shouldn't be exactly how the live action should be.

I feel like, if they really can't think of new ideas for films, bring in new people who have ideas. Just stop screwing them over Disney.
Because I feel like trying to remake the film and not give it the best as they did before, will continue to bore us.
Other live action remakes like Peter Pan and Pinocchio (1996 one) really gave it their best and added stuff that helped the story more, yeah these ones werent made by disney but still.
That Pinocchop one is so damn good. The sounds and music were perfect.
Theres also another jungle book live action from Netflix looks good but haven't seen it yet xD

I'd rather see animated versions of live-action movies. (Or Muppet versions, as Twitter suggested.)

Some movies I can see getting a live action remake and I wouldn’t feel annoyed by it. The Black Cauldron I think would work so much better and possibly be a success if it was remade as live action with really good CGI.

I liked Beauty and the Beast contrary to what everyone thought.

I don't know, it's them wanting to make a ton of money so I don't care.

The remakes that have a mostly human cast I don’t mind seeing getting a live action remake or reimagining and I’ll accept Lady and the Tramp have a pass as the concept of talking dogs living with humans who can’t understand them is not really that far off from the Buddies/Pup Star universe and movies and some of the more objectionable content was handled pretty well without greatly altering the entire movie. The Jungle Book as a live action movie works because it is based on a book in the public domain and about a boy raised in the wild with completely different rules and setting than Tarzan. The Little Mermaid works because it’s a fairy tale that is rarely seen in the media in live action as there are at least a dozen different animated versions each with their own unique way of telling the story including an anime tv show. The Lion King was doomed to fail because the entire cast are animals and the original was already perfect the way it was with no real need for any changes or additions and the only way a live action remake would be called for is if you were to make a movie adaption of the Broadway show complete with the costumes and puppets. Aladdin worked as live action because Jasmine didn’t do much in the original film despite being the tritagonist of the story. The Disney movies that should never become or have become live action are the Frozen movies, Wreck It Ralph movies, Robin Hood, The Rescuers movies, The Fox and the Hound (a more accurate adaptation of the book is a very bad idea considering how extremely dark and depressing it got especially at the end), Home on the Range, Brother Bear, Pinocchio (already far too many movies), Pocahontas (for very obvious reasons), Peter Pan (too many other adaptations and also because of the offensive Native American stereotyping), Dumbo, Bambi, The Great Mouse Detective, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (because the original novel is extremely dark and Disney found the perfect way to tell the story in a more family friendly way that can’t repeated).

In general, I have not enjoyed the remakes, but I make an exception for the ones that avoided making an exact replica of the animated version.
The 1997 TV Movie of Cinderella featuring Brandy and Whitney Houston was so much fun! And I do think Disney is a great force for pushing inclusion of minorities and diversity, even if it doesn't always seem genuine.
I don't have to consume whatever they push out. I don't have any negative feelings over it, just more of a passive disinterest.

In general, I have not enjoyed the remakes, but I make an exception for the ones that avoided making an exact replica of the animated version.
The 1997 TV Movie of Cinderella featuring Brandy and Whitney Houston was so much fun! And I do think Disney is a great force for pushing inclusion of minorities and diversity, even if it doesn't always seem genuine.
I don't have to consume whatever they push out. I don't have any negative feelings over it, just more of a passive disinterest.
I LOVE that version of Cinderella!!

My opinion is opposite to most people on this thread, as I quite like most of the remakes. All of the Disney princess ones, like Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladdin, and the upcoming Little Mermaid's trailer were very good in my opinion! I liked new music added, the visuals and acting, and the costume design. I guess it's really nice to see my childhood come to life!

As for the animal ones, I thought some were pretty good, like The Lion King and The Jungle Book, and others I disliked, like Dumbo. I haven't seen them all though.

I do wish that Disney put in more effort into creating original stories. I think they did a great job with Encanto, and Lightyear. But I haven't liked them all. I don't think its a great idea to generalize a category of films into either good or bad, with these crazy extremes. Some of the live action movies sucked, for sure. But that doesn't mean they all do. Same goes to the original animated and live action films. Some were good, some were bad. I guess, in defense of this new live action trend, that multiple factors play into the success of a movie, and it's important to keep that in mind before making generalizations.

I’m not very interested in disney stuff, but live action versions are an interesting concept on their own. I want to see live action movie versions of all the mainline pokémon games in a style like Detective Pikachu.

That Cinderella was an adaptation of the Rogers and Hammerstein musical of the fairy tale. The songs are in a different style than most Disney songs. Rogers and Hammerstein wrote many amazing musicals together with only a couple not doing so well.

Back