• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinion on Disney's "live action" remake trend?

At first it was ok, mediocre at best, but now they're just doing it to everything. Moana hasn't even been out that long and they're turning that into a live action. Also Lilo and Stitch. And now the Owl House is apparently getting a live action? The show hasn't even aired it's last episode (I think) and they're already trying to push out a live action. At least give the series a bit of breathing space before you decide to do that. They're just going to give everyone fatigue the way they are going.

It's like with how they decided to just bombard everyone with a bunch of Marvel mini-series on Disney+ and tons of people began to bail since it felt like homework to try to keep up with everything or be left behind.

They don't know how to come up with new ideas anymore and just how to ride on the curtails of works that were critically acclaimed and hoping to piggy back on that success.

Some remakes I get as some of the original movies had some stuff that either didn’t age very well or had some sort of plot hole or unexplained things such as exactly how old the Beast was when he was cursed and how the residents in the town could even forget that there was a Prince and castle so close to them. One movie that shouldn’t be remade no matter what the circumstances are or changes made is Pocahontas as that is one of the most problematic Disney movies if you know the real story and how awful the real life John Smith was.

I Iove the original Disney movies but I'm not a fan of the remakes as they're unnecessary and always fall flat regardless of any changes to the overall plot. I also love the Marvel movies and most of the Disney+ shows, however they do need some restructuring which seems to be happening now that some of their upcoming shows and films have been delayed with Disney CEO Bob Iger wanting quality over quantity and questioning the idea of multiple sequels for certain Marvel superheroes in the near future. I can't say much on Star Wars as I'm not a fan at all but I can understand the frustration from lifelong fans feeling like the magic of that universe is currently being sucked dry with all the upcoming shows and future movies planned.

Last edited:
I saw the rocks tiktok announcing Moana live action yesterday and I really don't know how to feel about it. I don't mind the live action movies and I have watched all that have been released so far but what I don't understand is why they have chosen Moana out of all the movies. Why not go for something older and release them that way? I get that moana will bring in the money as it's a popular movie but still.

I’ve only seen one of them. Aladdin I think and sorry but no. I have no interest in seeing any more of them. The original animated films were 1000 times better. It’s clear they are just trying to cash in again on their old classics. It’s a real shame and I wish they would stop.

making live action movie remakes just proves that disney has become a money hungry company. the only live action disney film i know on the top of my head that i actually enjoyed was cruella, which was released in 2021. i also hate when they can’t let a franchise die, like toy story, it’s not my favorite movie but they should’ve let it go after the third movie.

To be honest I don’t mind watching them, but I definitely prefer to watch new releases and stories. It feels like there is less creativity and more laziness these days (especially with poorly executed live actions).

There is no possible way live action Lilo&Stitch is going to do the aliens well.
Unless they use Jim Henson Studios to create puppets to be the aliens. I could see it working that way as the Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors still looks amazing to see on film nearly 40 years later and they’ve made huge characters that are taller than most people. Disney owns the rights to most of Jim Henson’s work so it could happen.

Was never much of a disney fan so i dont have the heart to actively hate them, that being said i did get unreasonably agitated pointing out details like an acclaimed movie snob when i was subjected by chance to the aladdin & lion king remakes. On the bright side im sure it's pretty much unanimously agreed on that the jungle book remake was pretty great and expanded a lot on the original which needed an actual story, so it's not like theyre incapable of doing it right or that ppl are blindly negative on the trend for the sake of it being live action

My opinion is, it is a great idea to bring an old favorite back to life, but there is a cost to it. You can't just rehash every single movie you want and expect them to work with the newer generation (number 1) and my second point; and also expect it to look good.
The Lion King was pretty decent, nice all star cast, great singing, beautiful scenery, but it is LA animals so they won't always look how CGI should or could be.
The Little Mermaid, I'm not even gonna lie I do not like the look of the CGI on anything in that movie at all BUT I absolutely love our main girl starring and having to work around not being anywhere near water for those shots. I mean she worked herself to the bone to do that and to make it fluid like water, that has got be hard so you have to (or you don't) give props to her and the whole team for that part.
I haven't even seen Aladdin to be quite frank and I'll admit I totally forgot they even made one.
To conclude, (which is the worst way to end an English paper so don't do that kids) I think the idea is great, it is the execution that has to be figured out upon personal inspection.

It needs to stop. They worked as animated films, the live-action remakes ruin them. In fact, franchising ruins good individual movies. I know they abandoned the Direct-to-video trend, which also ruined good movies, but this trend has overstayed itself.

While I have seen a number of Disney movies, primarily during my childhood, I never got into the Disney brand and don't have affection for most of the movies; Moana being an exception, because I saw it with my best friend the first time we met after knowing each other online for a decade, and I do happen to like the the songs Hellfire (from The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and Friends on the Other Side (from Princess and the Frog).

But I digress. Generally lacking fondness for their media, I don't have sentimental attachment to their media or brand at large. In addition, I distrust big companies on principle. As that relates to their live action fare, I have no interest in it whatsoever. Also, as a creative, I find the concept pretty boring and creatively bankrupt.

I'm not into it. I saw Beauty and the Beast and it was bland and uninteresting. Haven't seen any of the rest of them on principal.

Bad, very bad! I am especially pissed at the upcoming Snow White remake because it doesn’t make sense and is offensive. Now the actress who plays Snow White is beautiful but it doesn’t make sense to cast someone with an olive complexion to play a character who is literally described as being white as snow while having a jet black hair but I could put that aside, my problem is with the 7 dwarves because they really should’ve casted actual dwarf actors who were looking forward for such a role but instead Disney took away that opportunity from them, a group type that barely get representation in Hollywood. Dwarf actors aren’t happy about this change and took it as Disney basically flipping them off, sad really.

I actually never liked Snow White in her original movie. I always thought she sounded like a chipmunk. Couldn’t also see why she was considered to be the “fairest of them all” when the Queen was actually prettier. I’ve had an idea for the past ten years of an alternate version of Snow White where it turns out that she was actually the evil one and the one that could do dark magic and the Queen was actually nice and kind but the citizens of the kingdom are all too blind to see that because they don’t like her just because she was the King’s second wife or the fact that the kingdom was wealthy and had a lot of diplomatic ties with other kingdoms and they were all at peace with each other. Once Snow White becomes Queen, her true colors appear and she rules in tyranny and with lots of bloodshed that she becomes known as Snow Terror and four out the seven dwarves must stop her. Basically the idea is to show that things aren’t always as they seem at first glance and looks can be very deceiving.

Please just stop like we really do not need anything to be remade all the time at this point its just tiring and exhausting.

Back