• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Odd town rules that people have

I know some here have mentioned that not allowing visitors to take even common flowers is silly. In my town, though, a large portion of my landscaping is done with common flowers. I don't have a whole lot of hybrids, so I like to make patterns with common types of flowers. I prefer if they aren't taken, but it won't totally break my town if a few are picked up... but ask first! ^u^

I can understand not wanting your neighbours to talk about Dingdong from Butthole, but in that case, wouldn't it be better to just not invite that person to your town? I can also understand people not wanting their villagers to mention visitors constantly, but personally, I actually like it when my villagers talk about people we've met.

You don't always know someone's character name and town name before you've already agreed to a trade (and I guess if you're letting lots of people into your town for badges or the train station upgrade, you may not even ask them about it after adding their FCs).

I don't think it's a bad rule. It can be annoying when your villagers keep mentioning a visitor and for people who get lots, they may not want to deal with that. I personally don't care but if I'm doing a trade in a hurry, I wouldn't want to wait just so a visitor can talk to a villager.

- - - Post Merge - - -

my boyfriend's friend's town has a rule of..

"don't walk on my grass"
"don't walk off my paths"
and she doesn't let you even close to her flowers at all, ( which are everywhere with 1 block wide paths so it's terrible. )

The first two make sense because walking on grass a lot can cause grass wear, so if she gets a lot of visitors she may want to prevent that.

The flowers one makes sense if you're running but otherwise that just tricky and annoying. Maybe you could tell her that it would be easier with larger paths or if there's bushes lining the paths.

- - - Post Merge - - -

To all you dumbasses here, complaining about the villagers..

THEY CAN ****ING MOVE. ARE YALL DUMB OR SOMETHING!? JEEZ

That's not how it works.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I know some here have mentioned that not allowing visitors to take even common flowers is silly. In my town, though, a large portion of my landscaping is done with common flowers. I don't have a whole lot of hybrids, so I like to make patterns with common types of flowers. I prefer if they aren't taken, but it won't totally break my town if a few are picked up... but ask first! ^u^

I agree, I have hybrids but there are some common flowers that look nice and that I want to use to landscape.

I admit I had a weird rule once!

"Follow the yellow path to the plaza"

I only enforced it because I was hosting Explorer Day for some European players. They could have just looked at their map to get there, but I didn't want anyone to walk through the rest of my town. I was worried about losing some hybrids. Everyone was super polite and I felt much better about bring people over afterwards. I've dropped the rule in favor of more general rules like no running and no stealing because most acnl players are way trust worthy.

I don't know about strange rules as I've actually only recently started to use AC online, even when I had previous towns. However, I, personally, don't think my rules are that unusual.

(As seen on bulletin board):
Page 1
Welcome to Dawnstar​
Page 2
1) No flower-running
2) Replace your holes
3) Ask before you buy
4) Have fun
5) Post messages [on bulletin board]​
Page 3
6) Items near the railroad station are FREE
7) [The Bell Tree Forum] Please leave a WiFi rating​
Page 4
A little blurb about here.​

while i can understand that its only normal for people to be protective over there towns (they probably spent ATLEAST a year on it) I think the most ridiculous rules (with some exceptions are)

1. dont talk to villagers. I actually have a wild story about this if you care, if not then well dont read. When i was trading to get bam to someone, this really annoying girl kept coming into my town uninvited. can you guess what she did? yep. SHE INVITED BAM TO HER TOWN INSTEAD. SMH. i deleted her fc after sifting through to figure out who she was. thats the ONLY exception to this weird rule.
2. dont go on my beach? what. seriously? why. sharks?
3. dont buy from retail. maybe they want a certain villager to buy some object?
4. DONT RUN IN MY TOWN wait what? I think this is crazy ONLY when they have paths wide enough to walk an elephant across it and still dont want any running. i allow anyone who visits to run on the thick paths.

Last edited:
I only ever ask people not to steal and not to run in my flowers, I have had both happen after asking people not too, so I mean rules are in place for reasons.

"Have fun" is my favorite given rule, and I always tell them not to tell me how to live my life, and frown the WHOLE TIME!

Well, I don't find them odd as they have specific reasons. Even though I am convinced that some of them aren't necessary, 'Don't talk to my villagers', yeah they'll tell you who's been talking with them but I don't get what's the big deal about that xx

The don't walk south rule is actually not that stupid as many people have stored there their unreoderables. I do that too xo

I can understand people who don't want other players to take their flowers or walk off their paths and I don't think it's selfish, just my opinion.

I usually end the session right after the trade so there's no need for any of this rules. ^^

I don't think the 'don't talk to my villagers' rule is odd. I find it kinda frustrating when a villager of mine 1/10 times I talk to him mentions about someone who talked to him from like a year ago.
I also understand that people have the no running rule, for the growing of their grass.

To be short, I don't think most of the 'odd' rules you guys mentioned are really odd. For almost every rule there is a good reason, a reason you maybe didn't think about.

My rules are:

- Only run on my paths

- Feel free to talk to my villagers

- You can do some shopping if you want, chances are that i have already looked in there and brought anything i need

- Feel free to explore but please don't touch anything

- Please don't go on the beach as its my breeding zone

- Have fun in Oakwood ~

A lot of rules are weird, but I can understand the "don't talk to my villagers" rule. My sister Madison visited my town a LONG time ago, and since then she's reset her town but everyone still talks about her.

So I don't mind that people have rules for their town (as do I) but what "odd" town rules have you seen people put down before. My favorites are always "not to talk to villagers" or my all time favorite was "never run south, you can run east and west, but not south." I understand rules are there for a reason but when are we being superfluous with them?

The rule, "Don't talk to my villagers," may have been from people who thought visitors can influence any town's villagers to move out of that town and into the visitor's town.

I have been here since November 2013. I remember seeing that. I didn't give it much thought because my visits to others' towns never had that imposed rule. (I happened to read other threads of towns I didn't visit.)

Another reason can be that the host wants you in and out. If, as one example, a host is inviting people to cash in selling turnips to Reese @ Re-Tail Shop ? getting people in and out is a priority.

Some people didn't know that talking to another town's villagers doesn't mean anything when that villager isn't packed up to move. So, it can be that those hosts were being overprotective. (I don't take offense to it.)

I only have 2 rules:

-Do not run! (You can when you are on my 2 wide paths however be careful!)
And the obvious one...
-Do not steal! I will see it when you grab that single hybrid in the middle of nowhere, i just notice that something is different and will find out sooner or later who did it! So just don't!

Those aren't all that bad i guess? I really don't care about people talking to my villagers, shaking my trees (When a perfect tree dies you have to leave one normal fruit alongside the rotten one so i can replant it) etc.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh and i do not mind that people explore my town for themselves, i do not feel the need to keep an eye on them and besides, i have better things to do than being a cop! That?s Copper and Booker his work already!

Personally, I haven't come around any odd rules yet. When I go to somebody's town I follow them to where they'd like me to be/go and otherwise I won't run or take stuff. I'm very careful in other people's towns because I know how much time it takes to get to a nice town. If I'd like to take anything (and I generally will not) I will ask before I do anything. Same for talking to villagers.

For me, I don't want people to talk to my villagers because it means I can't keep an eye on them (if they go into their houses for example). I don't mind it if I lead them around and one of my townspeople is in the way :) But if people walk off and I can't keep an eye on them then that just makes me uncomfortable. If I trust a person to walk around my town by themselves, then they're also free to talk to everyone or go shopping or whatever (without my supervision) but otherwise I don't want anybody just walking off to talk to people. If it's during a trade then it just takes unnecessarily longer.

And I don't want anyone walking off my paths too because that's where everyone (but my villagers) is supposed to walk on. I don't care if you run on them or walk but I do also have flowers around everywhere and while not all of them are hybrids, it is annoying to have to replace them.

Generally, just follow the mayor's rule and ask questions later :)

I never really put much thought into it until now, but asking that you don't talk to villagers... makes perfect sense to me. Sometimes I'll be talking to villagers and they'll mention someone and I'm just like... "...Who?" And I know I've had enough people come by to do trades or explore so it must have been one of those people, but if I don't recognize the name, I'm just left scratching my head. I'd rather hear about friends that visit more frequently or whose names would actually ring a bell as opposed to someone I'm probably never going to see again. I don't have a dream town so that part doesn't apply to me.

In terms of my own town rules, I don't really have any - I just expect people to use their common sense, and the only thing I'd really enforce is that if we're trading, please don't wander away from the train station mid-trade. Some people have wanted to explore afterward and that's fine, but unless I know them, I want to follow - I leave lots of stuff on the ground when I have trades lined up for later that day and I've had some hybrids snatched from me because I was too trusting before, so it'd be a guided tour, so to speak XD

When you're trading with someone you don't know, it's better to be safe than sorry. You don't want to have them leave and the game save, only to walk over to a patch of clovers you'd planted and find that they're all plucked up and gone. Or that all your perfect fruit has mysteriously disappeared. You know? I get why people have strict-ish town rules when it comes to stuff like that. Between strangers it makes sense to me. You put a lot of work into your town and don't want it to be potentially destroyed.

I haven't come across any rules that strike me as odd. When I FIRST started the game, I thought having town rules was strange, because I figured everything is within the mayor's control and can be reset, stuff like that - but as I learned more about the game and the lasting effect that visitors can have on your town, even if they're well-meaning, I understand and respect anyone's wishes to preserve their town as it is. Sometimes trades are trades and they don't want your presence to leave a mark on their town beyond that. Fine with me. I'm sure one day I'll come across someone with a crazy rule but for now they've all been reasonable.

idk. If I'm in someone else's town, I adhere to their rules unquestioningly. That's just the polite thing to do. It doesn't even occur to me to run around shaking trees or whatever else. /shrug

In my guest town I do have don't shake trees. All are perfect except for one tree of each of the regular fruit. I don't harvest the regular fruit and want them in case I forgot to leave perfect fruit for the side players.

I don't get the don't talk to villagers. But can understand don't talk to one that is going to be picked up by someone.
Retail they may have redone furniture that they don't want people to buy. I don't care if people buy it.
I do have all redone furniture in different sizes for villagers requests. All my side player can grab a piece and give it to a villager.

The one I'm confused about is don't fish in my town. It could be that they're worried about their flowers getting damaged.
The fish will spawn again. My guest town is in a different season and my friends drop by to get their last fish before the last tournament.

When I invite someone to my town, I'm generally very protective of my town since it only takes one person to ruin a lot of hard work that I put in to my town (so far I haven't had any problems with people). I don't post any explicit rules for people coming over to trade, adopt a villager, or just hang out, but I try to keep visitors in my sight at all times if I don't know them very well. Most of the rules discussed in this thread are understandable, but I personally don't care about all of them.

I like people to always stay on my paths as much as possible. In my town, my paths are usually the most direct way to get from place to place, so there is no reason to go off of them. More importantly, there is nothing to steal on the paths so I don't have to worry about my flowers, clovers, and any other items lying around in my town. I don't like people running on my paths because it is easier for them to lose me if they run.

I usually fill my Re-Tail with ores priced at 9,999 bells because villagers will actually buy them for that price, but there could be items that my villagers put in there that I want to buy, so I don't want people just walking in and raiding my Re-Tail. I also don't want people shopping at Nook's or Able Sisters before I have had a chance to do so.

I don't really care if people talk to my villagers since their dialogue isn't worth listening to most of the time anyway, so I don't care if they mention a person who visited my town.

I am flexible with my rules though and will let people do stuff if they just ask. I don't care if someone wants to pick non hybrids or shake fruit trees if they ask me. Although asking a host every time you want to do something can be annoying, if you want more freedom in someone's town, you should take the time to get to know that person better and earn their trust.

Last edited:
My rules are:
- Have fun in Oakwood ~
tumblr_m96yxcPYeo1r97x2s.gif

My only rule is not to run on the grass, and even that's not explicitly stated anywhere. I expect people to use common sense and not be a jerkwad. Another would probably be "dont take without asking" but once again that's kind of a common sense thing.

And yeah even if i think someone's rules are ridiculous I'm still gonna follow them (or just leave, you know?)

Back