• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Odd town rules that people have

March1392

Keyblade wielder. =)
Bells
So I don't mind that people have rules for their town (as do I) but what "odd" town rules have you seen people put down before. My favorites are always "not to talk to villagers" or my all time favorite was "never run south, you can run east and west, but not south." I understand rules are there for a reason but when are we being superfluous with them?

Im sorry to offend some people but I hate how obsessive some people get when it comes to villagers. Idc if people talk to my neighbors.

The oddest I've seen is dont buy anything in ables. Other than that I haven't witnessed any odd rules.

Hahah what difference does the direction that they run make?! They should just say that they don't want people to run at all; that is a sensible rule. You guys beat me to it, but I think that it's weird when people don't want you to talk to their villagers. It doesn't affect anything. They might mention that person every once in a while, but that's it. People are weird, I guess :)

I used to have a rule stating that you couldn't talk to other villagers. I did that partly because I saw other people say that as well and I was a noob so I thought that it would do something to the moving rate of villagers or something. And partly because I've heard stories of visitors just standing there talking to one villager for forever. But yeah, I guess it's a pretty odd rule to have :/
I've never heard of the running in different directions one, that would be weird o.o

'Don't use the ABD' is confusing to me, but ppl always have reasons for their rules

1. Don't talk to my villagers
2. Don't walk off my paths

Those two rules are the ones I find strange. Especially the "don't talk to my villagers" one.

I don't mind when people talk to my villagers either, but I can see why some people don't like it, it can be annoying when villagers talk about people they've met. Particularly if it was a random person who came over for a trade once and whom you'll never speak to again. (Just today Maple brought up someone she met "the other day" which was actually someone who came over for a petition almost a year ago lmao.... I thought it was funny though.)

I've never seen the running in certain directions thing before, but now that I think about it, I think you can see farther ahead when you're running east/west than when you're running south? So it's less likely you'd accidentally run over hybrids/flowers because you'd see them in time? Orrrr they just have some misconception about how running in different directions affects grass wear or something haha idk

The oddest I've seen is dont buy anything in ables. Other than that I haven't witnessed any odd rules.
Some people don't want others to buy out their stores before they've had a chance to look in them.

'Don't use the ABD' is confusing to me, but ppl always have reasons for their rules
I've only seen this rule in the context of turnip selling, and it's because it's faster to have people put the bell bags in their lockers as they're taking out more turnips than to have people running to an extra third destination.

I don't see why the "don't talk to villagers" rule is so odd to some people? Maybe they just don't want their villagers talking about some random person they traded with like, once?

1. The don't talk to my villagers is a bit..odd. (as everyone else has said) I think this is odd because...the villagers will bring up several times who they have seen that visits your dream town. So what's the difference...?
2. Don't shake fruit trees. Why though? It grows back. If someone takes fruit in my town that's fine just don't leave any on the ground. I'd understand if that's the problem.

Last edited:
1. The don't talk to my villagers is a bit..odd. (as everyone else has said)
2. Don't shake fruit trees. Why though? It grows back. If someone takes fruit in my town that's fine just don't leave any on the ground. I'd understand if that's the problem.
The only time I could see a person having a problem with someone shaking fruit trees if it was a perfect fruit tree, since those die after so many shakes.

The only time I could see a person having a problem with someone shaking fruit trees if it was a perfect fruit tree, since those die after so many shakes.

Yes. I meant to add I'd understand if it was a perfect fruit tree. I've seen people say not to shake any fruit tree though.

Yes. I meant to add I'd understand if it was a perfect fruit tree. I've seen people say not to shake any fruit tree though.
TBH I'd be a little annoyed if someone were to shake my fruit trees since I have very few of them in my town, and the ones I do have are purely decorative. But it wouldn't be a big deal ofc, I'd just have to wait a few more days to update my dream town, lol. I've never made it a rule not to shake them though (or had any other rules for my town, for that matter -- I just assume people understand common courtesy).

1. The don't talk to my villagers is a bit..odd. (as everyone else has said) I think this is odd because...the villagers will bring up several times who they have seen that visits your dream town. So what's the difference...?

I think the fruit thing would only make sense if it were a perfect fruit. Other than that its strange.

I can understand the "don't talk to villagers" thing. I've heard of people who had someone in their town maybe once ages ago, and their villagers will ping them just to talk about the person they talked to "the other day." Maybe it gets annoying if a lot of people talk to their villagers.

I can understand the "don't talk to villagers" thing. I've heard of people who had someone in their town maybe once ages ago, and their villagers will ping them just to talk about the person they talked to "the other day." Maybe it gets annoying if a lot of people talk to their villagers.

But here's the thing though... if you're just trading with someone and if they aren't going away from you or w/e they usually aren't talking to villagers because they want your "x" while you want their "y". If they're not focused on the trade or w/e then you could easily take advantage of the situation (if you're not honest). I've personally NEVER gotten pinged before from villagers being talked to and I've had people over quite a bit to my town... but if you're having a social event then you should know and understand "the risks" involved with such a thing and ONLY have people you're willing to trust in your town and therefore negates the fact that the animals are talking about a "random" person.

But here's the thing though... if you're just trading with someone and if they aren't going away from you or w/e they usually aren't talking to villagers because they want your "x" while you want their "y". If they're not focused on the trade or w/e then you could easily take advantage of the situation (if you're not honest). I've personally NEVER gotten pinged before from villagers being talked to and I've had people over quite a bit to my town... but if you're having a social event then you should know and understand "the risks" involved with such a thing and ONLY have people you're willing to trust in your town and therefore negates the fact that the animals are talking about a "random" person.
Meh, some people just don't want their villagers talking about people at all. It may seem silly to you, and me, and others who've posted in this thread but it's their villagers and their game. I've seen people who refuse to even adopt villagers from other towns because they don't want them talking about their old town/mayor.

Maybe they just like how the fruit looks on it? I dunno, it's their town after all.

It's true it is their town :) Even if I think a rule is odd I won't go against what the person says not to do. It's their town and if it's a rule it's important to them.

Back