• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Obscure Observations (Crews 1 & 2)

Mairmalade

mar 🐳
Staff
Bells
Island
Wisteria
Galaxy Easter Egg
Frost Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Perfect Apple
Perfect Cherry
Perfect Peach
Perfect Pear
Durian
Lemon
Lychee
oo.png

21-JUL-2023

This isn't anything like you remember. Your former cabin was nothing but a pile of damaged materials, and a bird with a space helmet seemed to know something. He introduced himself as Gulliver, and you were promptly led to a ship. A lot has happened since then - where to start?

You sit down next to a heap of large, mysterious boxes marked with different supply labels, and you start to have a strong feeling that you should start recording your observations for the future. Using one of the boxes as your writing desk, you begin.​

Task 📖

Create one written work of fiction between 200 - 500 words about your experience/findings/observations at the space station, on the spaceship, and/or on the remote planet you find yourself on during TBT's Space Camp.

Rules 📖

• Only one entry per person
  • Your entry is considered final once posted. Do not edit it unless you have permission from a TBT staff member
  • Your entry must be entirely your own work, and be a brand-new piece of writing for this event
  • No collaborations
  • Content must be suitable for a PG-13 audience and abide by our Rules and Guidelines
  • Your entry must be themed around TBT's Space Camp as per the task
  • Word count must be between 200 - 500 words
  • Your entry must be fiction
  • No additional fan fiction outside of Animal Crossing
How To Submit 📖

Your entry text must be submitted as a new post in this thread by Tuesday, August 8, at 6:59 PM EDT.

Submission Checklist

My written entry is:
✅ Between 200 - 500 words, and checked using this word counter tool
✅ Themed around my experience/findings/observations at the space station, on the spaceship, and/or on the remote planet I'm on during TBT's Space Camp​
✅ A new piece of writing that I have created myself for this event​
✅ Submitted no later than Tuesday, August 8 @6:59 PM EDT

How To Vote 📖

The crew favorites are entirely community-decided. To vote, simply leave a reaction on the post of any entry. You can use either the Like, Love, or any unlocked reaction. They will be added together. Entries that are approved will be marked by the staff with the accepted reaction, but don't wait for this to appear. Feel free to Like/Love any entries at any time!

While you can react to any entry, favorites will be decided only by votes from members of the same quarters.

Prizes 📖

• 16 Cargo Tokens and 15 Points for your accepted entry
  • The top 3 crew favorites will earn an additional 8 Mission Tokens. The top 1 will also receive a Rainbow Crescent Moon Collectible

Frequently Asked Questions 📖

Q: Can I use my own word counter tool?
A:
Please only verify your word count prior to posting by using this word count tool as different programs will vary.

Q: Does my entry need to be in a specific writing style?
A:
No. You may incorporate prose, poetry, and/or script-form elements into your overall piece as long as your entry fits the task and entry requirements outlined above. If you have another idea and are unsure of if it may be acceptable, please ask first.

Q: Oops. I need to fix something for my entry. Can I edit it?
A:
Please review your entry prior to posting. Your entry is considered final once posted and is not to be edited unless you have permission from a TBT staff member.

Q: Can I write my piece as if I were my Animal Crossing town mayor/island rep?
A:
Yes.

Last edited:
Ooh a writing event! Time for my procrastination I mean, writing skills to shine! I do have one question though.

@Mairmalade does our entry have to be text-only or can we make an optional quick illustration/doodle to go along with it?

Ooh a writing event! Time for my procrastination I mean, writing skills to shine! I do have one question though.

@Mairmalade does our entry have to be text-only or can we make an optional quick illustration/doodle to go along with it?
You're welcome to add an optional illustration to go with your entry if you'd like, sure!

Here's my story.

“What is that white glow? Where is it coming from?” Charlotte asked while she was on the spaceship heading towards the jungle planet of Tenochtitlan, an alien planet where galaxolotls were the dominant species. Holly, the captain of the spaceship, made a stop so she can investigate the strange glow on the spaceship.

The two girls investigated the spaceship to find what’s causing the glow. Ever since they were in the solar system Tenochtitlan was in, they noticed strange stars that they never seen before. Other members of the crew even thought something interesting was going to happen. As the ship stopped, they took a break and monitored security, while Holly and Charlotte had to investigate the ship for the strange white glow.

They looked in the quarters, they looked in the cargo hold, they even looked in the docking section, but they couldn’t find it there. But when they went to the lab, they found the source of the white glow. Even when the lights were off, the glow was bright. They turned on the lights to find the glowing artifact. Holly had to stay at the door while Charlotte looked for the source. As soon as Holly turned off the lights again, Charlotte found the source of the glow.

The source of the glow was a blue and purple star fragment that was found by the scientist of the spaceship. It crashed through the observatory while the hatch was open. It didn’t start glowing until the scientist placed it in the lab and turned off the lights.

The scientist returned to the lab. When he came to the lab, he started asking questions.

“Captain Holly? What are you doing here?”

“Charlotte noticed a strange glow on this spaceship,” said Holly.

“Strange glow?”

“Yes. She noticed a white glow. We found out that it came from some strange star fragment.”

“Actually, the color of the glow is lunar sheen.”

“Where did this star fragment come from?”

“There is a strange comet that orbits this solar system every 100 years. This comet was the wishing star for the galaxolotl population. If you get a star fragment from it, your wish can come true when you make a wish. But it dissolves once you made your wish.”

“I think we shouldn’t make a wish, so we can keep it.”

“These things only last ten days. It’s best that we make a wish as soon as we can.”

Charlotte took the star fragment as the three left the lab.

“So Holly,” said Charlotte, “what’s your wish?”

Holly had to make her wish.

“I wish that the galaxolotls will instantly make friends with us when we arrive.”

Animal Forest

Representing my crew, I was sent out to null
I say this as the planet seemed so terribly dull
Though data on each base I located my only goal
Get it over with, space hood crammed over my skull.

Area 1 was not much fun,
Delectable collectibles? From which there were none,
All picked and looted, whoever had run
Meticulously combed and made sure they were done
Although in its wake, to the exit I spun,
....Moon rabbits, spray painting that bun...
so that crew came by and won
No sweating it though, my search has only begun.

Area 2 proved quite the view,
No shelter, yet a starry sky twinkled in dew
I set up outdoors, admiring deep blue
Then all of a sudden, what happens to few
A space whale approached and let out a moo
Upon my suit it started to chew
A state of shock, I yelled out, "SHOO!"
And off it went as we each travelled anew.

Area 3, what had truly tore me;
Scattered around, decades-rich notes for thee
And helmets from which they used to breathe
Tagged "Meow" and "Bow" respectively,
Despite their species rivalry,
The cat and the dog had left their tree
Alone in this forest, they vowed to break free.

Area 4, I'm glad was again a bore
At that moment I lost the motive to explore
My heart was still aching and very much sore
From those past records I had witnessed before
Who were those villagers? Where are they once more?
I don't want to think about this anymore.
I don't want to think about this anymore.
I can't help these thoughts anymore.
Where?

Memories flashed, my friend called Pierre
The cat and the clown had such joy to share
When one day he had some news to bare
When one day he told me, "I'm going somewhere,"
Pointing to his heart he said, "you'll always be there,"
"though I may not be there,
you'll always be there.
and I'll always be there."
One day, no one knew he was there.

I envision that too, Meow and Bow
the pair went to that same somewhere
beyond space and time
though not with despair
each fragment of existence
is proof
that they're still somewhere
at least in my thoughts
they'll always be there

So,
I gave myself a high five.
It's lonely out here, but I know I'm alive.
Stationed for the team to swindle by in their stride,
Just pick me up from this one hell of a ride.
Here they come now, all I can think to mutter to them is
"Drive."

I hope I interpreted this task correctly! Here are my observations while attending Space Camp thus far:

It's been ten days since I boarded the space station, and I have to admit, I wasn't expecting to like the food on in this place as much as I have been. I was prepared to have to tough this experience out. The space suit isn't all that comfortable; fortunately, I only have to wear it when I go out in space, or onto the surface of the alien planet.

Inside the space station, the life support systems make it so that we can wear our ordinary clothes, though it also makes it a little bit cooler than is comfortable, so I dress warmly. The bed isn't too terribly uncomfortable. A little hard, and the sheets are silvery and slippery, and, as I mentioned, it's a bit cooler in here than is comfortable, and the blankets might be a little thin. None of it is that bad, I can take it for the duration of our mission.

But, as I said before, the food is surprisingly good, even if it doesn't look very appetizing. For instance, just last night, for dinner, we had "spaceloaf," and it actually had a very pleasant mouthfeel, and whatever it was made of, it was flavorful and savory.

Tomorrow night, we're going to have spaghetti and "spaceballs." In spite of the name, I look forward to it.

Here's my entry. I'm not good at writing. But I tried.

Monday. I've never been to space before. I am scared. I don't know anyone here. No one forced me to go, but I still went because I am tired of the same boring routine I have at home. I want to experience something new. Something entirely different.

Tuesday. Weird. I know there's twenty of us in here. The lights are on. The doors aren't locked. The ship is fully operational. I hear music but I couldn't find anyone. Was there an announcement and no one bothered to wake me?

Wednesday. I did another round throughout the whole ship, but I never saw anyone. Not even a shadow. Only my voice echoes the empty hallways. I tried to stay positive, thinking that maybe they all just went to explore a nearby planet. To keep myself distracted, I spent the night away playing videogames.

Thursday. I've been trying to contact anyone back home, but I never got any response. Everything, including the communication system seems to be functional, but why won't anyone answer on the other end of the line? I cried.

Friday. Still alone on this huge empty ship. I couldn't sleep. I've been feeling nothing but regret and fear. What the heck is happening?

Saturday. A loud clang woke me up. I immediately ran towards it. A metal pitcher fell from the table and spilled water on the floor. There was a note at the table. "HELP" written in tiny scribbles. Then I heard another thud from behind. Another object had fallen to the floor, a gun.

Sunday. So apparently, Bob was messing with a shrink ray gun and blasted everyone including himself. I was lucky enough to go to bed early. It took them days to get my attention because they were incredibly tiny. The tables are too high and the lounge music drowns their voices. No one was responding on my calls because I had my mic off all this time. Oh well. I guess, I could say that it was indeed an experience. Something new. Something entirely different.

I hope nobody is offended. I can do it over if not acceptable.

My head feels like it's going to explode, listening to this bird go on and on ...

"You said your name is Gulliver?" I interrupt.

"Yes, s-sir." he tells me. "I'm your pilot, of course. You truly don't remember anything?"

My pilot? Squinting at the pile of wreckage, which apparently used to be my spaceship, I wrack my brain, finding nothing but this awful, pounding headache.

"I don't remember a thing," I grumble.

All around us is nothing but desert, as far as the eye can see. My lips are cracked and dry. I'm thirsty, hungry, exhausted, bruised, and sore from my head to my tail, and is the bird still talking?

"... surely send a rescue for a Galaxolotl Captain such as yourself..."

"Have you looked for any water, or food?" I interrupt.

"Oh! Well, no...I-I was looking for my stone collection. I have some marvelous..."

Useless bird.

After going thru the wreckage, I look at the meager pile before me. A tiny pack of some sort of star-shaped candy, plenty of stones, some star maps, and a surprisingly decent supply of water.

Great Galaxolotl Goddess in the sky, is the bird still talking?

"...puzzle out this encoded manual to repair the communicator, we can..."

I reach for the manual he is holding, but can't make heads or tails of the thing.

"Who writes these things?" I grouse, "Always have these godawful codes."

"W-why, I did, sir. I wrote that very manual, in fact. If only I could remember the code for that particular manual..." the useless bird continues to chatter on and on....

Later that evening, relaxing in front of a fire fueled by ship furniture, I find myself in a much better frame of mind. The sand is warm and soft, and I have plenty of water to last until my rescue. Yes, my rescue! I finally managed to decode that communicator manual, and my rescue should arrive within the week.

In the peaceful quiet of the evening, I reach for my dinner, which has been roasted to absolute perfection over the fire. I wonder if I can make a comfy pillow with the feathers.

The bird ended up quite useful after all...

I hope nobody is offended. I can do it over if not acceptable.

My head feels like it's going to explode, listening to this bird go on and on ...

"You said your name is Gulliver?" I interrupt.

"Yes, s-sir." he tells me. "I'm your pilot, of course. You truly don't remember anything?"

My pilot? Squinting at the pile of wreckage, which apparently used to be my spaceship, I wrack my brain, finding nothing but this awful, pounding headache.

"I don't remember a thing," I grumble.

All around us is nothing but desert, as far as the eye can see. My lips are cracked and dry. I'm thirsty, hungry, exhausted, bruised, and sore from my head to my tail, and is the bird still talking?

"... surely send a rescue for a Galaxolotl Captain such as yourself..."

"Have you looked for any water, or food?" I interrupt.

"Oh! Well, no...I-I was looking for my stone collection. I have some marvelous..."

Useless bird.

After going thru the wreckage, I look at the meager pile before me. A tiny pack of some sort of star-shaped candy, plenty of stones, some star maps, and a surprisingly decent supply of water.

Great Galaxolotl Goddess in the sky, is the bird still talking?

"...puzzle out this encoded manual to repair the communicator, we can..."

I reach for the manual he is holding, but can't make heads or tails of the thing.

"Who writes these things?" I grouse, "Always have these godawful codes."

"W-why, I did, sir. I wrote that very manual, in fact. If only I could remember the code for that particular manual..." the useless bird continues to chatter on and on....

Later that evening, relaxing in front of a fire fueled by ship furniture, I find myself in a much better frame of mind. The sand is warm and soft, and I have plenty of water to last until my rescue. Yes, my rescue! I finally managed to decode that communicator manual, and my rescue should arrive within the week.

In the peaceful quiet of the evening, I reach for my dinner, which has been roasted to absolute perfection over the fire. I wonder if I can make a comfy pillow with the feathers.

The bird ended up quite useful after all...
LMFAAAAAAOOOO. YOUR TEAM BETTER VOTE THIS TO WIN
Post automatically merged:

Please please please give us a cry laughing reaction 😭

Here are my observations. I hope it fits the assignment.
3:48 pm: At last, we are touching down !

The grass of this planet looks as soft as... a fur carpet, and our smell sensors let me experience a calming breeze of "fresh" air. If it wasn't for the infinite night sky with two far away suns and the blue, glowing light coming out of every piece of flora, I could swear we were getting ready for a picnic on a cotton candy cloud under a cherry tree. The grass is very comfortable. I'm almost tempted to lie down while journalling. I could even fall asleep...
The other crew members seem to think like me, as they are already running and jumping like moon bunnies under the biggest tree - to the best of their ability considering the low gravity.

One of them, Sasha, if I recall the name correctly, tripped on a root upon arrival near the sequoia-like tree and fell comically slowly towards it. Catching himself against the wood trunk... is it wood ? Catching himself against the "wood" trunk, his hands are now covered in gold-looking dust.
I assume a chemical reaction must be occurring as he came in contact with the powder since the blue glow has turned gold upon impact. I hope this is not caustic in any w- Is he really stuffing this into his pocket ? Not his bag, not the designated container for space findings. His pocket ? Should anyone tell him to... Actually, nevermind. Not my problem.
He's looking my way and waving at me. I will keep pretending to jot down something on the paper and look away.

There is a satellite not far away from us with blinking lights. It looks like it's sending us a message, or maybe it's just how the light blinks. Could it be the International Space Cetacean that we see from here ? I thought this planet was uncharted. Were they observing it from afar all this time ?
Someone's coming my way.

4:22 pm: It was Ione. She asked me to follow her as she wanted to show me something. Behind some bushes where star-shaped fruits were hanging, she found a pound filled with funny looking creatures ! Around the size of a ranchu goldfish, or maybe bigger (I don't have a ranchu goldfish on hand) there were little salamander-like looking glowing animals, of various pastel colors ! She asked me if I could sketch them quickly in my journal as I was the only one with a pen and paper around. Silly us, we all forgot to take batteries for our cameras. Now, we discovered these first ! Our time to shine ! I asked her how we shall name these creatures, and she jokingly said "Galaxolotls". Galaxolotls it is. No matter how hard she asked me to reconsider that name, I will register those creatures back on earth as galaxolotls ! I was tempted to bring one or two back on the ship with me, but I'd rather not disturb the ecosystem... I truly wish I had my camera !

Here’s my entry.

The spaceship lands on our destined planet. Well, not so much land as intensely crash. This unusual atmosphere already made me queasy, I didn’t need motion sickness too.

I check out the window. The ground is a mossy, desaturated green. There’s little in the way of interesting landmarks. What could be so important that they wanted me on the most boring planet ever?

Ah well, complaining won’t get you anywhere. Let’s get it done with.

While I’m gathering my necessities, I hear a deafening screech. It makes me stop everything I’m doing.

… It’s probably just some meteorites hitting the ship. I swear those things can travel anywhere.

Now prepared, I activate the front hatch. It steadily opens with a blast of wind.

… Just what I thought. There’s absolutely nothing here. No vegetation, no signs of life, recent or otherwise. Not even other recruits forced into this like I was. What a waste of resources.

Thud thud thud…

The steps were so sudden that I didn’t have time to react. A sharp hook pokes at my spacesuit, making me flinch. In this moment of weakness, I’m lifted off the surface. The spaceship becomes smaller and smaller, until it is just a tiny dot.

I’m being carried away! I try to set myself free, but you don’t have much movement when you’re wearing heavy protective gear.

I can at least look around. Right in front of me is a teal creature, about my height. Its stubby legs are covered in little thorns that slide across the dirt with ease. The head is a triangular shape, almost like a harpoon. The distinct beak has razor teeth and glowing ooze emitting from it. Last were the dozen bloodshot eyes that never blinked.

This… This was all a trick, wasn’t it? There was no mission to speak of!

Someone, anyone, please help me! I’m being abducted by… SPACE SQUIDS.

Here's my entry! Thanks to late-night me for coming up with the idea!

Dearest Belle, L, and Em,

When you're floating around on a spaceship, it's completely understandable if one starts to feel a bit homesick. No matter how much fun a person may be having, sometimes a longing can be felt for even the most mundane parts of life. However, one of the most wonderful things in life (that tends to be taken for granted) is the people you share it with. That is where you come in. I witnessed this exchange while checking the cameras, and I couldn't help but feel like someone needed to hear it.

Your friend Raven was pacing the Actually, Nevermind quarters. "I just don't believe it, Mi-Mi," she said to a mint cat plush, "We've been here for nearly two weeks, and there's no sign of anything from them. They still care, right? They haven't responded to my letters, though."

She sat on the bunk for a while, looking deep in thought. After a while, she said "Wait! This is a spaceship, maybe letters don't work the way they would on Earth! I have an idea." She then grabbed what looked like a miniature work tablet and started talking to it.

"Hey, guys! Raven here, brought to you live from outer space! Today is August second, and I have no clue what time it is, so don't ask. How have you been? Did you finish the Heroes of Olympus series, Em? No spoilers! I've only made it to book three. Belle, how was choir camp? I can't wait to hear the music. And L, how's my cartoon-loving, craft-making bestie?

I miss talking to you guys. I miss going to bed and waking up with hundreds of notifications in the group chat. You're the best friends I've ever had, and not being with you really sucks. I love you so much.

That being said, I'm still having a lot of fun! My cabin, Actually Nevermind (long story) is absolutely killing it! I've got great teammates, and all of the activities we're doing are the best! I can't wait to tell you all of my stories.

Well, I guess I should go. My crew needs me! (something about a scavenger hunt... wonder what that could be) I'll see you soon! Raven out!"

You three obviously mean a lot to Raven, so on their behalf I want to give you this message. She is alive, doing incredibly well, and in good hands for the time being. Thank you for your time.

Signed, a friend.

-L, Belle, and Em are placeholders for some of my closest friends. I tried to imagine that my persona/ideal self was actually there whereas I'm stuck behind the computer/phone screen. Going for full-on immersion here!
-Also since I came up with the question, here's the little doodle!
RenderedImage.jpg

OK, I really really hope you like this because I worked extremely hard on it. Once u you realize, yes, I want you to sing it as you go.

Dear Mama,

Is this the real life?
Is this space fantasy?
Caught in a black hole
No escaping this galaxy
Opened my eyes
Looked out at the stars and bust
I’m just a lost girl, I need more star dust
Because a little rabbit told us so
Shrunk is high, Sasha’s low
We made it to the threshold
Watch the story unfold, actuallyyyyyy
Nevermind

Mamaaaa
Just killed a bird
Put my space gun to his head
Pulled my trigger now he’s dead
Mamaaa, camp has just begun
But now, they all think that he just flew away

Mamaaa, ooh oooh oooooooh
I think I’m gonna cry
I’ve got to replace this bird this time tomorrow
For my team, I can find. Actually, nevermind

Too late, my time has passed
Deciphering codes instead of dust makes me feel just like an ass
Apologies everybody, I’ll be here next time!
Gonna do my best for Actually, nevermind

Mamaaa, ooooh ooh oooooh (what’s making the wind blow)
We don’t want to lose
Or they’ll leave us all in deep space to die

(go ahead and hum it, and get out your air guitar you know you want to)

I see a little silhouetto of a bird
Gulliver! Gulliver! Oh he’s not quite dead yet!
The bullet only grazed him, I am in the the clear this time!

Gulliver! Gulliver!

Gulliver! Gulliver!

Gulliver! He’s alive!!!

No longer a lost girl, I didn’t kill him
No longer a lost bird, just need to catch him
He’s the biggest asset of Space Camp Bell Tree

Grabbed my net, snatched him up
“Will you let me go”
(“ Don’t let him go!”)Gulliver! No Iwill not let you go!
(“ Don’t let him go!”)Gulliver! No I will not let you go!
(“Let me go!”) Will not let you go
(“Let me go!”)(Never) Never let you go
(“Let me go!”) (Never!) Let you go (“Let me go!”)

No, no, no, no, no , no, NO!

Oh Mama help me. Mama help me. Mama help me, catch this bird
Oh help me please, gotta catch him quick before

He flees, he flees, he FLEES!!!!!!!!!!!

(Yep, start rockin!!!! I’m in your head now so bang it!!!!!)

So my net wasn’t golden and broke when I swung it so highhhhhh (ba doom)

Mr thinks he’s so funny flew above me and pooped in my eye

Soooooo crazyyyyy

Screw this bird I can’t catch him today
Just gotta get out, please get me right out of here

(Rock some more 🤟🎸)

So dejected feeling, I’m sure that they can see
At least I didn’t kill him, heavy hearted as I watch him flee

Wings making the wind blow…

Your luving daughter,
DaCoSim

Back