• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Niche Steam Games

Bugs

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November
Bells
Eerie Star Potion
Key to Bell Tree Manor
Eerie Star Potion
Ghostly Preserves
Will-o'-the-wisp Halloweaster Egg
Rainbow Moon Jellyfish
Bee Plush
Special Snowflake
Pumpkin Pie
Shooting Star
Sorry if there's a thread already about this.

I have a very particular taste in PC games, I can only really describe it as "indie niche". So, some games I've got wishlisted right now are Penko Park, Calico, Ooblets, Webbed, Hokko Life, Coromon, Spirit Farer.... I can't really see a connection between all these and it's really hard for me to find similar games - I was wondering if anybody has similar taste here?

A few games I bought recently were Monster Crown and Cloud Gardens, they're both really good but Monster Crown is very buggy.

Have you played any interesting indie games recently you consider to be underrated?

I can never put a single name to these either. I'd describe them as 'cozy, charming exploration/building/sim' games. Some of these suggestions aren't completely unknown or 'underrated,' but they are on the path less traveled:

A Short Hike - quite literally a short hike. It takes about two hours to complete at a normal pace. Dialogue is funny/charming, the atmosphere is great, and the art style matches the vibe you go for. One of my favorite 'one-offs' for this year. It also has a Switch release.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - my favorite shop management game released ever; the gameplay loop is excellent. More of an 'anime' style and focuses on dungeon crawling for items to sell in your shop (and to use/upgrade yourself during your travels!) Some of the bosses don't play around.

Littlewood - similar to Stardew Valley and other farming/life-sim games without the stress that games of this nature typically invoke. There is a larger design element to this game though. If you'd rather focus on living within the world as opposed to building and expanding it as you go, this isn't for you.

Unreleased but have my eye on:
Potion Permit
Cozy Grove
Little Witch in the Woods
Snacko
Calico

Coromon looks like a lot of fun - added it to my wish list. If monster taming games interest you, Monster Sanctuary is something you should check out too. Not a unique experience, but a solid one. It's in early access right now with a full release in December, I believe.

I can never put a single name to these either. I'd describe them as 'cozy, charming exploration/building/sim' games. Some of these suggestions aren't completely unknown or 'underrated,' but they are on the path less traveled:

A Short Hike - quite literally a short hike. It takes about two hours to complete at a normal pace. Dialogue is funny/charming, the atmosphere is great, and the art style matches the vibe you go for. One of my favorite 'one-offs' for this year. It also has a Switch release.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - my favorite shop management game released ever; the gameplay loop is excellent. More of an 'anime' style and focuses on dungeon crawling for items to sell in your shop (and to use/upgrade yourself during your travels!) Some of the bosses don't play around.

Littlewood - similar to Stardew Valley and other farming/life-sim games without the stress that games of this nature typically invoke. There is a larger design element to this game though. If you'd rather focus on living within the world as opposed to building and expanding it as you go, this isn't for you.

Unreleased but have my eye on:
Potion Permit
Cozy Grove
Little Witch in the Woods
Snacko
Calico

Coromon looks like a lot of fun - added it to my wish list. If monster taming games interest you, Monster Sanctuary is something you should check out too. Not a unique experience, but a solid one. It's in early access right now with a full release in December, I believe.

I've seen a few of these on my steam queue and recommendeds a few times, especially a short hike and littlewood, I'll have to check them out properly! I'll check out all those other ones too they all sound interesting! I actually have monster sanctuary on my wishlist too, it looks really good :)

Mibili’s Quest is the most overlooked 2D platformer I’ve ever played. The controls are precise, the levels are surreal and unconventional, and it has some superb chip tune music. My only gripe with the game is the lack of controller support and one particularly annoying level. Otherwise, Mibili’s Quest is absolutely fantastic.

Back