• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

island still not done

Lotusblossom

Prankster Crossing
Bells
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
November Birthstone (Topaz)
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Kaleidoclover
Famous Mushroom
April Birthstone (Diamond)
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
Cake
Cake
I took a long hiatus of maybe two years and I just started playing again about a two months ago. I've gotten quite a bit done but I am still nowhere near done. I thought I was getting somewhere until I watched some island tour videos on YouTube yesterday... I haven't built anything extravagant like a castle or cool bridge and I didn't plan too so I feel pretty beat at this point especially cause I had 4 stars before it cleaned up a bunch of random money trees and overgrown wildflowers and now I have 2...
I have over one fourth of the island that I have no idea what to do for and what I gave going for me I've kept it pretty plain and simple it seems compared to island tours. I really don't know how people finish every inch of their island its mind-boggling to me

i recently was messaging one of my friends who already finished his island and has since stopped playing and he's been bugging me how i still haven't finished mine!

i sort of work on a couple projects and puzzle piece them together, if that makes sense. i'll try to have a transition between builds, something to fill up the empty space so either i'll plant trees or flowers, but i try not to go overboard or my game starts lagging.

Mine will never be done - I keep changing my mind on what i want, what i like.

But - I have come to realize that - as much as i love to visit super-decorated, themed islands, I don't really love to have that kind of island. Especially as himekirako mentioned - too much and the lag gets pretty awful.

For my first 5star rating, I actually looked up the "standards" - x number of trees, outdoor decos, etc. Followed the guide, got the 5star, got the golden watering can diy and lily of the valley... but then realized i felt kinda meh about playing.

After going back and forth a bunch on design, I'm realizing I need to set it up for how I like to play, the things i like, even if that ends up being super simple. I think it's pretty inspiring once you figure out what you actually like and enjoy. But it can be frustrating.

I find it helpful to remember that people spend literal years planning and shaping their islands. I watch this YouTuber, Noot Horizons, and they have a gorgeous suburban themed island. But it's taken them years of constant planning, building, and revising to get to the point where they consider themselves done with it. I read this one blog, Aforestlife, who also similarly takes a very long time to finish their towns.

I find that social media is great for giving you a much needed boost of inspiration, but it's very much a double sided sword in that it can also make you feel inadequate. When I start feeling like that, I try to stay off social media in general and just focus on what makes me happy. Instead of thinking if something is pretty enough or worth it, I try to think about whether or not it makes me happy. I don't know. Just something to think about.

Tbh I've never been very good at decorating my towns in previous games, and the same is true for New Horizons! I've had the game since launch and really never "finished" decorating any of the islands I had. I recently restarted and I really hope I can try out making a fully decorated island tho

I took a long hiatus of maybe two years and I just started playing again about a two months ago. I've gotten quite a bit done but I am still nowhere near done. I thought I was getting somewhere until I watched some island tour videos on YouTube yesterday... I haven't built anything extravagant like a castle or cool bridge and I didn't plan too so I feel pretty beat at this point especially cause I had 4 stars before it cleaned up a bunch of random money trees and overgrown wildflowers and now I have 2...
I have over one fourth of the island that I have no idea what to do for and what I gave going for me I've kept it pretty plain and simple it seems compared to island tours. I really don't know how people finish every inch of their island its mind-boggling to me
That's the thing, you don't have to touch every inch. It can just be a nice little nature area.

I agree. My island totally has been keeping more of a natural esc vibe .. which is probably gonna stay for the most part. In particular i would like to make the villagers houses a bit more decorated around the outsides cause theyre basically bare and just thrown together. But some of them hardly have space on the cliff... I notice that they want paths for five stars which makes sense since the villagers seem to need those to get around better which is an interesting aspect to think about. i figured out what to do with a big portion of the island that I was confused about.. i loved the wildflower field i had growing wild for a while but ultimately i decided to go on with plans for a more controlled yet still large flower garden north south on the map.. just finally got to doing it after I dug up all those wildflowers for like the third or fourth time.. I ended up fencing the flowers with water which was pretty nice considering it looks like the flowers stay hydrated, but I'm planning to change that and use a stone path code i found i hope if its available otherwise ill have to make it myself and i figured I'd make it a stone garden with all of the stone stuff.. then I ended up building a "giant tree" at the end of the garden that I saw in a island tour.. I tried to do one a long time ago but it was nice to see a tutorial all this time later to follow and be able to add one to my island with some of my own flair.. i also started building and saving up for a castle to go on my large peninsula which i also so on an island tour. Somthing random thats coming about is a fun camp area where theirs an outdoor kitchen and fluffy pancakes .. that was unexpected.. I still need to make a community vegetable garden and I have hardly gotten to where my house is to go though which basically takes up another one fourth of the map. I planned to make it very water full esc years ago but lost my original plans I drew up and so it's becoming pretty random. I know want a bridge going to it but it's taking me a while to figure out where and how to put the inclines up as well..I'm planning to use some water patterns and real water as well. i really love bridges and i only have three right now so just working on putting all this together in a plan is taking a lot of time..thinking... theirs just so many options! It really makes the game quite perplex and unique which I like but it definetely is a lot to think about and plan. In general I've been adding more items and crafting items and throwing them around the island which I think it helping me get in the hang of things on my way to get that golden watering can!! I've got plenty of black roses because for a while I didn't know I needed five stars or the watering can to get them so I just put a bunch of black roses together

Last edited:
Back