• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Main Method of Hearing the News

Main method receiving News?

• Newspaper

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Tv

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Radio

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Social Networks (Facebook, Twitter, ect)

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • News Websites

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Online fourms

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Video Sharing Sites (YouTube, Tiktok, Rumble, ect)

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Smartphone Notification (share the source)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Email (share the source)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Word of mouth (coworker, friend, ect)

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
Social networks, and it's so terrible for my mental health. I'm trying to stop so much of the intake these days, but it's hard to break the habit. It's like a compulsive itch.

Going out of my way to read the news has always left me in sad funks for days, so I try to avoid it (I want to be informed, but not at the expense of my wellbeing), but it seems impossible.

i'll admit, i usually hear most stuff based on what trends on twitter. (and sometimes tumblr.) is it the best way to hear news? no, probably not, for the most part, but when it comes to, for example, the current genocide in palestine, i feel like social media has given me a better understanding of the situation than official news outlets/shows which are all pro-israel and super biased, so it really just. depends on what the topic is and what's going on, i think, in terms of which is the better way to receive news.

I don't really watch the news on television unless there is a car chase going on or I want to know what the weather will be like, I don't watch it for current events because there sometimes is a bias in certain situations. I tend to read what is on twitter from different sources, or if I am really interested i'll do my own research but I try not to get too into it because when it comes to discussing current events in person I'm very black or white thinking and refuse to listen to anyone who only watches the news and doesn't do their own research.

I don't actively seek out the news anymore so I get my information pretty passively. Huge thanks to my friends who keep me up to date with what's up in the world!

Word of mouth tbh. I don't follow any news channels so I only hear about stuff if it's an actual big deal.

Definitely social media/networks, mainly twitter. I don't use any of the other methods really except youtube, but news doesn't always appear for me on there.

I mostly get it off of Wikipedia. I don’t watch Fox News not because it’s “fake” news or all Trump supporters but rather I can’t stand how it seems like every conversation on that thing devolve into screaming arguments about topics unrelated to the actual story. CNN is annoying because you must wait so long to hear a topic again if it’s something you really want to hear about but missed the two to three minutes discussing it or catch the very end of it.

This is awful, but that Spongebob fish news-caster from Tiktok is how I get my breaking news

The Internet/social media. I usually will see something on the homepage, or on Twitter that catches my eye. But it’s hard to tell what’s real on social media, so I end up going on news websites to fact-check. Humor has gotten so subtle and weird (in a good way) over the years I can’t always tell memes from reality lol.

it depends on the type of news. things such as world events, tragedies that happen around the world etc, i usually find out about them through the news channel on tv. the news is the main thing i watch whenever my mom and dad go out (just to make sure they haven’t gotten into an accident or that anything has happened that’ll affect them), which is pretty often, so i hear about things from the news channel a lot more than i used to.

for other types of news, such as news about celebrity deaths, i usually find out from video-sharing social medias (specifically tiktok) or word of mouth. i found out about angus cloud and matthew perry’s deaths from tiktok, and queen elizabeth II’s passing from a friend. my dad also usually tells me about anything that gets reported during the night and/or early morning when i wake up, since he gets up before i do.

It depends on the type but by each it’s
Tragedies/World Events: Wikipedia or the NHK app
New affecting just my area: Either word of mouth or through the stations website
Politics: The NHK app and my parents complaining lol
World Leader Shenanigans (elections or visits): Wikipedia

Main method would be BBC news since it's relatively unbiased and relevant to us Brits. I dip in and out of others, mostly just to compare the contrasting reporting styles, depending on their bias. It's fascinating.

I stopped watching the news on TV once COVID hit in 2020 and unfollowed a good portion of news outlets on social media. Lockdown made me truly realize that the news is depressing and bad for my mental health. Nowadays I occasionally watch the news, and barely look at the news on social media. I mostly hear news by word of mouth.

Back