Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Christmas Gold Candy
Planet Glow Wand
Snowflake Glow Wand
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Christmas Candy
I'm currently playing Desert Island Escape to get the prizes. I'm here to ask this: What is your least favorite part of the game?

In my opinion, it isn't the random number generator, the spinner that determines your luck, or the centipedes and snakes. My least favorite part is really that Nintendo's expectations are way too high on the target score part. The target scores for each map is pretty excessive, and if you don't beat the target scores, you aren't gonna get very many cool prizes or MEOW Coupons. Even when you are at your best, you still can't beat the target scores. It's just ridiculous. The game is a good idea, and I hope they make a real life board game after this, but I still can't tolerate the target scores being high.

I agree about the target score. I think the game is pretty easy, and fun, but getting the target scores is very difficult or near impossible.

You know, if you want the Wii U items, don't aim for the target score. Just go for the raft pieces in all 30 maps and that's all. But the target scores are for the Desert Island themed items.

You know, if you want the Wii U items, don't aim for the target score. Just go for the raft pieces in all 30 maps and that's all. But the target scores are for the Desert Island themed items.

That's good to know, but it isn't really about the items for me. I just hate feeling like I'll never get that score.

Ugh I hate that the game requires like 90% luck and only 10% skill.

People hated amiibo Festival because of that so why didn't you improve it, Nintendo?

I thought you got the DIE (wow, that's a great acronym) items from getting through the game normally? But yeah, I do agree the target scores are impossible. I managed to reach it on my first try on the first level, but even after playing through the second level probably about 5 times, I still couldn't manage it. :/

I also just really hate that it takes so long to finish a level. Like, I've never timed myself, but I'd prefer it if it didn't take quite so long.

i agree about the target scores. but other than that, my least favorite is that each species is made of clones.
i'll use bear cubs as an example. not only do they have the same ability (which i honestly don't mind at all), they also have the same favorite fruit, food rations, steps and vision. i'd appreciate a teensy bit of diversity in each species.

Yep, I feel the same way. Completing the level isn't a problem, but I am never getting the target score. Does anyone have any tips for this? >.<

It is frustrating to take a pretty long time to complete a level & then not reach the target.

Probably the Scorpion, the Tarantula, and the poison snake. Those are TERRIFYING!

Also the spinner is such crap at being fair :(

While I definitely agree that the ludicrously high target score is a bad design choice for a mini-game where luck is heavily involved, there's another design choice that bothers me just as much.

Desert Island Escape asks you to spend 2 Play Coins for each villager chosen that are currently living in your town. If you add 3 of those guys, you'll be spending a total of 6 Play Coins. While this might not sound a big deal when taken at face value, it's actually very annoying when you take the arbitrary limitations of the 3DS system in consideration. For each day, you can earn up to 10 Play Coins daily for walking 1,000 steps, which can be achieved by walking for about 10 minutes. You'd earn about 1-2 games of DIE per day. Essentially, the mini-game is artificially padding its length, even though the 30 levels are long enough to keep its players occupied for quite some time. For someone who wants to progress with brisk pacing and didn't racked up tonnes of Play Coins beforehand, this is unacceptable!

Using the compatible Animal Crossing amiibo won't use Play Coins for sure, therefore allowing you to play as many DIE games as you wish. However, you still had to invest on those things in real life. They can cost you anywhere between $3 and $12 USD, and not all of us would easily afford such things.

Instead of opting for an arbitrary pace-breaking cash-grab method that limits to those who reside in your town and amiibo, Why couldn't the developers let us use Play Coins to choose literally any villager from the game, or even receive optional powerups that'll aid you during the game? It doesn't help that Animal Crossing Puzzle League can be completed for free, even without any amiibo!

While I definitely agree that the ludicrously high target score is a bad design choice for a mini-game where luck is heavily involved, there's another design choice that bothers me just as much.

Desert Island Escape asks you to spend 2 Play Coins for each villager chosen that are currently living in your town. If you add 3 of those guys, you'll be spending a total of 6 Play Coins. While this might not sound a big deal when taken at face value, it's actually very annoying when you take the arbitrary limitations of the 3DS system in consideration. For each day, you can earn up to 10 Play Coins daily for walking 1,000 steps, which can be achieved by walking for about 10 minutes. You'd earn about 1-2 games of DIE per day. Essentially, the mini-game is artificially padding its length, even though the 30 levels are long enough to keep its players occupied for quite some time. For someone who wants to progress with brisk pacing and didn't racked up tonnes of Play Coins beforehand, this is unacceptable!

Using the compatible Animal Crossing amiibo won't use Play Coins for sure, therefore allowing you to play as many DIE games as you wish. However, you still had to invest on those things in real life. They can cost you anywhere between $3 and $12 USD, and not all of us would easily afford such things.

Instead of opting for an arbitrary pace-breaking cash-grab method that limits to those who reside in your town and amiibo, Why couldn't the developers let us use Play Coins to choose literally any villager from the game, or even receive optional powerups that'll aid you during the game? It doesn't help that Animal Crossing Puzzle League can be completed for free, even without any amiibo!

I haven't tried this out myself yet, but I know when you scan in amiibo cards, you can keep the same team the next time you play. If this is also a thing for villagers you spend play coins on, then you'll spend 6 play coins once, or more if you keep adjusting your team. Plus, if you take your 3DS out walking with you often, you should already have a ton of play coins, especially if you don't have extra money to spend on the extra Mii Plaza games, or just aren't into them.

Idk, maybe it's just because I was really into Mii Plaza for a long time, or because this doesn't affect me because I have amiibo cards, but I don't think it's really that bad. If you've played StreetPass Quest, in which you advance far less per 6 play coins spent, then paying 6 play coins to get through a level of DIE just isn't that bad.

On top of that, ACNL just is a game with time-based events and limits. If you've played this long, you should be used to that.

Plus, you get play coins back quickly if you don't do anything with them. Even after buying all the fortune cookies every day while TT'ing for, like, at least a week or two in-game, I feel like I got back up to 300 play coins (which is the max amount) pretty quickly.

I think you can get the themed items without reaching the target score. I haven't cleared half the target scores in the easy mode, yet I still got the wallpaper

Probably the Scorpion, the Tarantula, and the poison snake. Those are TERRIFYING!

I have to agree with this. Even with a low probability on the unwanted side, you have a higher chance of getting what you don't want than what you do want. It's like 99% of the time, the 1 in 100 result (which is what we don't want) happens, whereas 1% of the time, one of the 99 in 100 results (which we at least want) happens. And if the probability of the unwanted is higher, you are even more likely go get the unwanted. When it comes to fruit, you get little amounts. When it comes to fish, you don't get a single fish. When it comes to bees, either the beehive breaks or the bees sting you. When it comes to monsters, you get attacked (whether or not you chose to fight). When it comes to pitfalls, you get stuck. No matter what, you still lose your chance of beating the target score.

Apparently Stitches destroys them...

Last edited:
Escaping is easy, but the one time I played I struggled with the target score. I only got about half of it.

Apparently Stitches destroys them...

Any honey hunter is effective. Whatever you can do with Stitches, you can also do with Bluebear, Chow, Groucho, Maple, and Pinky. Which also includes the other bears and bearcubs I haven't named.

I agree about that target score! I barely beat it on the first level when replaying it to see what I would get from it (MEOW coupons).

My complaint is something really ridiculous. The fact that villagers just walk right over pits every time! I find it silly, because once they have a shovel, they can suddenly STOP before falling. Sheesh. You can see the dig spot just fine!

Yes, the target scores are insane. I can't even get those done on easy mode. And yes there are items you can only obtain when you reach those, sadly.

Back