• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why the amiibo Festival hate?

Sage of Fire

Bells
So I’m just going to come right out and say it: I actually like amiibo Festival.

Don’t get me wrong, I know that the game has issues. The gameplay at times feels repetitive and shallow for sure. Having to pass around the Wii U Gamepad is annoying, especially when you aren’t all sitting next to each other. Some of the mini-games are just plain awful as well, some being simply unplayable (looking at you Fruit Path).

However, despite the obvious flaws and weaknesses, I enjoy this game a lot. The board game is relaxing and chill, unlike most other multiplayer oriented games. I also find the game to be quite humorous, meaning there are so many times where I can’t help but smile. And because of the lack of skill involved in playing the game, I don’t feel bad when I lose. I would also like to point out the fact you can unlock costumes for your characters which is always fun to do.

My personal favorite mini-game would have to be Desert Island Escape. There are about 30 levels to choose from, and each one is uniquely designed, some of them being pretty hard. Each playable character also has unique stats and traits, and it’s rather fun to figure out who is the best.

I don’t go way to long, but would like to add that I also really enjoy Mystery Campers, Ballon Island, amiibo Card Battle, and Quiz Show.

In conclusion, I know this game isn’t the best. But, I strongly believe that anyone who enjoys Animal Crossing would find this game to be enjoyable with friends and family, if given the chance. I really wish more people would try this game out.

What about you? What’s your opinion?

I haven’t played the game, but here’s part of the reason why the game was over-hated.

Back when it was first announced, Animal Crossing fans expected a brand new main series Animal Crossing game on the Wii U. Instead, it got a Mario Party-like spinoff, which they were not hyped for. They didn’t want a spin-off as the big Animal Crossing game for the Wii U. Their expectations for a new main series game was what led to the game getting a lot of hate.

When the game did come out, it had the same problems Mario Party 10 did, but swapped the function of one button with amiibo figurines. Mario Party 10 was already the most hated Mario Party game.

I haven’t played the game, but here’s part of the reason why the game was over-hated.

Back when it was first announced, Animal Crossing fans expected a brand new main series Animal Crossing game on the Wii U. Instead, it got a Mario Party-like spinoff, which they were not hyped for. They didn’t want a spin-off as the big Animal Crossing game for the Wii U. Their expectations for a new main series game was what led to the game getting a lot of hate.

When the game did come out, it had the same problems Mario Party 10 did, but swapped the function of one button with amiibo figurines. Mario Party 10 was already the most hated Mario Party game.
I think you also had to unlock the mini-games by playing the games without them at least once. Also having to tap an amiibo to roll the dice, instead of pushing a button. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

I think it was also hated due to the fact that it was basically used to shoehorn in the amiibo for AC. they wouldn't have any other use until Welcome Amiibo released, so they would've been useless had festival not existed.

True, I wasn’t on the hype train for a new main Animal Crossing, so I guess I wasn’t disappointed with amiibo Festival as much.

Personally I thought MP 9 was the worst, at least MP 10 had the Bowser mode.
Post automatically merged:

I think you also had to unlock the mini-games by playing the games without them at least once. Also having to tap an amiibo to roll the dice, instead of pushing a button. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.
Mini-games were not a part of the main board game, and yeah you did have to unlock them.

You do have to use an amiibo to roll the dice, unless you use an in-game item

I think it was also hated due to the fact that it was basically used to shoehorn in the amiibo for AC. they wouldn't have any other use until Welcome Amiibo released, so they would've been useless had festival not existed.
Good point, the amiibos didn’t get other uses until was after this game came out.

The two main reasons for me were already mentioned - expectations and amiibos.

I was really, really looking forward to a new 'actual' AC coming out. It's been a while, but I remember hearing small things at the time hinting about a new AC game in the works, stuff like they hired a certain person to lead it, etc. So, after all of the hype about the new AC game (I was seriously thinking about the game possibilities, possible island names, which villagers, etc), it kind of killed my dreams when I realized it wasn't an 'actual' AC game.

I think without all of the tease/mentions /hype, it would have been different. Like if the hype was all about a "new party game" which then turned out to be (surprise) AC, it might have done better?

And the amiibos! I had forgotten about that, but yep, it did seem back then that there was just a huge push for the amiibos. Seemed more like a money grab, so it was kind of meh...

Nah Amiibo festival was my first real time experiencing animal crossing and I found it hilarious.

My friend and I made some really great memories from it, like the random events where villagers fall in holes. We were playing with Bill, and he kept falling in them and it's became an inside joke with that duck.
--
I can see the downsides to it, especially for players with no amiibos. But I have nothing but the best memories from it

The two main reasons for me were already mentioned - expectations and amiibos.

I was really, really looking forward to a new 'actual' AC coming out. It's been a while, but I remember hearing small things at the time hinting about a new AC game in the works, stuff like they hired a certain person to lead it, etc. So, after all of the hype about the new AC game (I was seriously thinking about the game possibilities, possible island names, which villagers, etc), it kind of killed my dreams when I realized it wasn't an 'actual' AC game.

I think without all of the tease/mentions /hype, it would have been different. Like if the hype was all about a "new party game" which then turned out to be (surprise) AC, it might have done better?

And the amiibos! I had forgotten about that, but yep, it did seem back then that there was just a huge push for the amiibos. Seemed more like a money grab, so it was kind of meh...
I completely understand this, if I was expecting a mainline Animal Crossing and just got amiibo Festival, I would have been ticked off just as much as you.

Nah Amiibo festival was my first real time experiencing animal crossing and I found it hilarious.

My friend and I made some really great memories from it, like the random events where villagers fall in holes. We were playing with Bill, and he kept falling in them and it's became an inside joke with that duck.
--
I can see the downsides to it, especially for players with no amiibos. But I have nothing but the best memories from it
Glad to see someone that shares my opinion! I love the inside jokes from amiibo Festival, they are the best!

there was also the fact that you COULD NOT play without owning an AC amiibo (i may be misremembering, please correct if I am)
You do in fact need one figure amiibo to play the game. You also need amiibo Cards for the side modes!

Back then, amiibo were mostly disliked by the fanbase due to its seemingly money-grab like tactic when Nintendo advertised them. Amiibo Festival was much-hated originally due to mostly requiring the figures to play the game. Heck, when the announcement trailer came out for the game, it became one of Nintendo's most disliked videos on YouTube ever, and it basically forced them to tell their fans via social media that this was simply a spinoff game and not an actual Animal Crossing game. It was quickly forgotten by many years later, and may have even prompted the Welcome Amiibo update to come out on New Leaf three years after the latter's release. I've never played Amiibo Festival myself, though I wouldn't mind at least checking it out if I had a Wii U. Problem with that, however, is that I don't know anyone personally in real life that is a fan of the series and would understand the humor.

Happy Home Designer on the 3DS was sort of in the same scenario, though more people could get into that game as it actually had ties to New Leaf and gave you some furniture bonuses if you linked your HHD profile there. Besides, you could get creative in that game, unlike Amiibo Festival, where it was just a bunch of minigames mixed together.

These days, amiibo aren't required to complete or play any Switch games, though the feature obviously still exists as some people (including myself) like the figures and cards, and can even provide bonuses in a few games. It also makes a lot of money for Nintendo, regardless of what the figure is. The feature is cool in my opinion, though I really wouldn't go through the effort of collecting them all if they aren't Animal Crossing related.

Back then, amiibo were mostly disliked by the fanbase due to its seemingly money-grab like tactic when Nintendo advertised them. Amiibo Festival was much-hated originally due to mostly requiring the figures to play the game. Heck, when the announcement trailer came out for the game, it became one of Nintendo's most disliked videos on YouTube ever, and it basically forced them to tell their fans via social media that this was simply a spinoff game and not an actual Animal Crossing game. It was quickly forgotten by many years later, and may have even prompted the Welcome Amiibo update to come out on New Leaf three years after the latter's release. I've never played Amiibo Festival myself, though I wouldn't mind at least checking it out if I had a Wii U. Problem with that, however, is that I don't know anyone personally in real life that is a fan of the series and would understand the humor.

Happy Home Designer on the 3DS was sort of in the same scenario, though more people could get into that game as it actually had ties to New Leaf and gave you some furniture bonuses if you linked your HHD profile there. Besides, you could get creative in that game, unlike Amiibo Festival, where it was just a bunch of minigames mixed together.

These days, amiibo aren't required to complete or play any Switch games, though the feature obviously still exists as some people (including myself) like the figures and cards, and can even provide bonuses in a few games. It also makes a lot of money for Nintendo, regardless of what the figure is. The feature is cool in my opinion, though I really wouldn't go through the effort of collecting them all if they aren't Animal Crossing related.
Yeah that is one of the issues people had with this game, it seems like most people
don’t have friends or family nearby by to play and understand the game.

I really enjoyed Happy Home Designer, however the lack of online and multiplayer features is what hindered my experiences. By the way, there are some design features in the board game mode, but it is extremely restricted.

Yeah that is one of the issues people had with this game, it seems like most people
don’t have friends or family nearby by to play and understand the game.

I really enjoyed Happy Home Designer, however the lack of online and multiplayer features is what hindered my experiences. By the way, there are some design features in the board game mode, but it is extremely restricted.
I didn’t like HHD because there was literally no failure in the game. You could literally throw everything a client had away and leave them with both and you still are considered to have done a “good job” and pass.

Back