• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is it morally wrong to think that another country (or countries) are better than the United States?

Is it morally wrong to consider another country better, or superior, to the United States?

• Yes

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • No

Votes: 128 97.7%

• Total voters

nintendofan85

Good grief.
Bells
Switch
7144-2399-2801
Green Candy
Red Candy
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Ancient Candle
Pumpkin Cupcake
Voodoo Doll
Last night, I was shamed by my parents, mainly by my dad, for saying that I believe France is superior to the United States. My reasons for this are quite simple, actually, despite me being an American:
  • France has a much better standard of living, especially when it comes to its healthcare system.
  • It has a far more educated populace, unlike the US (and, I'm sorry, but the fact that so many American right-wingers are poorly educated emboldens these sentiments in myself, with many being ignorant on basic history and current events).
  • Its election process seems superior to what the United States has-there is no electoral college (which has no parallel whatsoever to other democratic nations), and instead, there is a two-round vote, which the first round, if no one gets a majority, determines who will be the top two candidates that will be the presidential candidates in the second round (Brazil and Argentina have similar systems).
  • On the same subject of French politics versus American, the French political parties offer more choice ideologically, whereas the Overton window in the US is clearly very small-not only do we essentially have nothing more than a two-party system and have for nearly two and a half centuries, but the Democrats are basically in the same position ideologically-if not to the right of-French and other European conservative parties, with the Republicans by and large, I am well aware, being seen in Western Europe as extremist parties that, in France, only Marine Le Pen's National Rally could compare to.
  • France just simply historically has a rich culture and one filled with the arts, one that the United States simply cannot keep up with. Perhaps American culture has been better-exported, but even then, that's a recent trend that arguably didn't happen until after World War II, whereas France's influence in the arts has existed since the 18th century.
  • As a bisexual guy, it's worth noting that France beat the United States by two years on same-sex marriage legalization, and the US was well behind many other developed nations on this.
  • France's handling of the coronavirus pandemic hasn't been the greatest, but the response from the United States has been atrocious, and we have one-fifth of the world's cases.
  • Clearly, with Donald Trump refusing to concede an election loss to Joe Biden, while I have more faith in the American people now with Biden's election victory, Trump has made a mockery of American democracy, and I still maintain, for this reason, that electoral politics in France are superior to its American counterpart.
  • Freedom fries. That point I will leave at that.
  • Without France, there would be no United States-French support for the US in the Revolutionary War is how it became independent from Great Britain, after all.
What it is, these discussions came into light because I was heavily criticized by my parents, as well as my uncle on my mom's side (her older brother) for having the possible (just a viewpoint they were afraid I might have) viewpoint that I thought Japan was superior to the United States as I was, and still am, a Japanophile. This was way back in 2012, however, and I was only 12 years old then. This was a point that, honestly, because I was heckled for hours by my family for, I still am not over emotionally eight and a half years later-I know that doesn't sound good, but it was not the kind of behavior I thought a 12-year-old child should face from his own family members, especially ones as close in blood and relationship as his parents. At the time, just being a 12-year-old kid, I never once did think about a country "being superior to another", I just simply was a 12-year-old boy who liked Japanese culture, and I still do now that I'm 20 years old. However, it seriously led me to raise questions-something that still boggled my mind as late as now-about what constitutes a "superior country", and if it's quite as cut and dry as a lot of Americans who consider themselves "patriotic" and "nationalistic" seem to be.

My parents consider it morally wrong to consider any country, in any way, better than the United States, which is why I ask. When I mention that of my two parents that got upset with me over this, it was my father in particular who lashed out at me in anger-after saying this in a phone conversation with him, he yelled at me.

Also, keep in mind that this belief I have is a fairly recent one. I'm not saying that the United States can never be better than France-but maybe, to at least be as good as it, it could take a thing or two from France and other countries-such as Japan-and learn a thing or two. My mother says that what makes us so great is our military, but is military strength really everything?

I said no simply because there are ways in which other countries are better than the United States. However, I also think it’s important for everyone to remember that every country has its advantages and disadvantages. For this reason and others, I really don’t believe there’s any one country that is, so to speak, “the best”. That’s pretty much all I wanted to say about this.

No, it's not wrong.

Honestly, I'd consider your parents ignorant for thinking the country they live in must be the best one in the world. It's a very close-minded way of thinking - especially if they cannot provide reasons backing up why they feel this way, as your post implies.

Let me answer this by rephrasing your question-

Is it morally wrong to assert a dogmatic train of thought in order to stroke the egos of people with immense superiority complexes?

It's okay to love the United States; it's okay to think it's better than any other country; but it's downright intellectually dishonest--if not purely, factually dishonest--to believe that everyone is obligated to feel the same way.

As someone who has lived in three different countries so far, I've found that each one has it's own pros and cons and whether someone likes one above the rest really depends on what their priorities are/what things they are willing to sacrifice in order to have access to something else.

I will say though, that one person's experience in a country can vary vastly from someone else when the two individuals are not within the same income range. My experience living in some countries (or even specifically cities) are incomparable to other people's that I know who also have lived there because our financial situations were so different.

Things that they would say are pros were things I did not even consider to be worth weighing into my own personal comparison because it would never be economically obtainable in my situation. This goes both ways as well as someone who is originally from what would be considered a "developing" country. The things I had access to that made my view of that country not as bad, were not accessible by other parts of the population, so their opinions regarding livability was different than mine.

while I don't agree with saying that any country is superior to another, I have to admit that the US has basically reduced itself back to third world country status. there are many countries that are doing better than we are, notably those in Europe.

we don't have universal healthcare or free college education, our country is riddled with people who basically hoard all the nation's wealth and leave the rest to rot, politics literally divides people at the center, our country has somehow handled the coronavirus in the worst way possible, plus the fact that anyone could think that Trump would make a good president still baffles me.

I have to admit that the US has basically reduced itself back to third world country status. there are many countries that are doing better than we are, notably those in Europe.

Yeah, and if this is true people can say whatever you want. It might get a little weird if you started proclaiming your love for North Korea and it’s dictators, and some people might give you funny looks, but really any country is better than USA as long you believe that.

(I'll try my best to add my thoughts in a structurally coherent manner 👉👈💧)
Is it morally wrong to strive for better in life? Should it be "morally" wrong to question something regarded as the ultimate truth by many? Should it be wrong too seek your own truth? Is it wrong to question authority? Is it wrong to seek answers to your questions? Is it wrong to question period?

I don't think it is.

(Then there's the question of what is morality but our own set of values which influences our lives and the lives of others, but I won't get into that 😒)

I live in a mostly red state where just implying that another country may have a better life quality than the US is an automatic branding for treachery, communism and "evil" liberalism. I won't get into more details, but it's disgusting, to me, to be so short sighted and cult minded to limit the minds of others, especially at a young age and especially when there is sufficient evidence to the contrary. Not so long ago Trump, himself was planning to implement a "re- education" program (aka re-neducation, aka modern day book burning) in schools to make kids more "patriotic" and "respectful of America", erasing/twisting history in the process, yet somehow that's not communism at its finest. While Biden isn't perfect he's no where near as regressive as Trump is. There's also the notion that if you criticise your country then it's because you must hate it and you should leave. If your home is trashed, don't try to clean it just move out. America - love it or leave it beep beep boop. 🤖

Anyway, there are definitely better countries than the US, but I don't think there is a "perfect" country out there either. There's always room for improvement.

Last edited:
Even if America was objectively "the best country in the world" in every aspect imaginable (it isn't) it wouldn't be "morally wrong" to think otherwise. This really has nothing to do with morals. It might be quite ungrateful if it was true (it isn't) but it doesn't have anything to do with morals.

On the other hand, this kind of unquestioning loyalty in fact can be immoral because it can make your parents turn a total blind eye to the problems that the USA has, including any and all potential moral issues. Because of that, who is being immoral on this subject are in fact your parents (and not you).

Last edited:
I don't even know morals factor into this? 🤔
Yeah I feel you. Maybe loyalty/patriotism is seen as a moral by some people?
I really have no clue but my parents are the same way d: I just try not to talk to them about the politics.

I think the most “moral” thing, if any exists, would be to be realistic about the well-being of people within your country and seek improvements. Loyalty to the people not to the flag (if loyalty at all)

Still, I definitely feel you on this, and I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this <3 you have very informed opinions, and I think that’s something to be proud of. I agree with Alek, I’m unsure how your parents are asserting immorality over this

Yeah, and if this is true people can say whatever you want. It might get a little weird if you started proclaiming your love for North Korea and it’s dictators, and some people might give you funny looks, but really any country is better than USA as long you believe that.
I don't really understand this comment, though I suppose if you thought I meant that the US is a third world country then it makes sense. I didn't say it is that, I said it's like that. we are one of the world's most influential powers so we're definitely not third world. what I meant is that the US is not moving forward with the rest of the first world countries, at least not as long as Trump is in charge.

Not to be rude, but that's just a fact from most perspectives. But every country is different, everyone posting here is living in an amazing country where they have access to internet, food and hopefully a warm place. The whole American dream is basically Europe's reality though. But even if we want to be cynical, we're still doing pretty well compared to others. America always has the freedom to change for the better. 😉

It’s not morally wrong. It’s just not patriotic.

I can see why people don’t like America though. While it was the most innovative country (the internet, modern technology like TVs and radios, and the moon landing), it also remains to be behind on social progresses that the rest of the developed world follows (including on archaic practices like the death penalty, electoral college, imperial measurements as our default units of measurements). Additionally, it had a long history of ugly nationalist attitudes, was the country that put in Donald Trump and George W Bush, had many citizens who harshly criticized Obama, national anthem protests, and BLM, and full of people who are militant about not wanting to change (including lockdown protesters). While I don’t have a problem with that (except for the nationalist attitudes part), all of that sure has left a negative image on the United States towards our newer generations. Yet, parents or others would criticize people for not being patriotic enough.

No, it is not morally wrong. It could be argued that it’s a difference of opinion, and while it may be, it just seems to me that you value a better standard of living for human beings than they do. There’s nothing morally wrong with that!

Definitely not. Perhaps I'm picking on the word choice a bit much here, but I have to wonder how valuing another country's culture and practices that may potentially bring, or help achieve, a greater quality of life over your own is 'morally wrong.' It's not harmful to have a global outlook.

I see how the belief can be rooted if you've only experienced living in one country and lived fairly comfortably. Being presented with new ideas may put one on edge, but I'd say it's more harmful to downright refuse other possibilities rather than being open-minded.

I don't think morals play into it. Just remember, nothing is ever, EVER free. Someone pays for it. There is no such thing as free Healthcare, free higher education...free tacos from Taco Bell. SOMEONE eats the cost, whether that's higher taxes to pay for everyone's free Healthcare or free education, or a company eating the cost of your free taco. It's never free.

Back