• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder/Multiple Personality) True or False?

DID, True or False?

• Total voters
-_- why are people making polls about if u Believe in things thats not something thats about belief.

yes it is a real disorder

edit: this sounds super Salty sry abt that i just think it isnt a thing to discuss if it's real or not.
Sorry, I just thought it was somethin to talk about since some peeps around think its false.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think it may cause uncalled for fights and "dissing" imo. I stated my opinion in the vaccination thread in a nice way, trying to be considerate and some guy came along and acted rude. People will get offended even if you aren't being malicious.

Yeah, this stuff always happens online. It was just supposed to be a little chat and exchange of thoughts.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Why wouldn't it be? :/

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's obviously not like the movies though

They don't just "change personalities" but I hear they often act of character and have like...amnesia
They also have PTSD-like symptoms, but often can't remember what happened (amnesia)
Not sure?

Movies usually take real things and change em.
I heard that too.

Last edited:
I've not read or heard much about it, so I voted not sure but it's entirely plausible.

Why wouldn't it be? :/

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's obviously not like the movies though

They don't just "change personalities" but I hear they often act of character and have like...amnesia
They also have PTSD-like symptoms, but often can't remember what happened (amnesia)
yeah because DID is caused due to repeated trauma during childhood (when identity forms and stuff.)

also tv characters w ~multiple personalities~ are Really :::////

How can you say it's false, though? Like it's an actual disorder, pretty sure every psychiatrist will tell you that. Sure they're people out there claiming to have DID while not actually having it. This however doesn't mean that it's not an actual disorder.

How can you say it's false, though? Like it's an actual disorder, pretty sure every psychiatrist will tell you that. Sure they're people out there claiming to have DID while not actually having it. This however doesn't mean that it's not an actual disorder.
I'm not saying its false, just asking people if they thought it was or not.

I agree with that.

Last edited:
Of course it's real, kind of a weird question to ask.

TV/movies just portray it inaccurately as hell. Lookin' at you, Split.

Last edited:
Of course it's real, kind of a werid question to ask.

TV/movies just portray it inaccurately as hell. Lookin' at you, Split.

Sorry, it was just for a convo :p Not my perosnal opinion.

Lol I heard of that junky movie.

Well it's in the official psychology diagnosis book (forgot the name I think k it's DSM though) and it WAS taught in AP psychology and was on the AP exam. So I don't really know. I don't see how someone could diagnose to though, it's so tricky. I think a lot of the official mental disorders r interesting though.-

Last edited:
Well it's in the official psychology diagnosis book (forgot the name I think k it's DSM though) and it WAS taught in AP psychology and was on the AP exam. So I don't really know. I don't see how someone could diagnose to though, it's so tricky. I think a lot of the official mental disorders r interesting though.-

Yeah! They are pretty interesting. Sometimes its hard to tell if someones been diagnosed right, pretty difficult at times. Respect to the people who try to.

i don't know how someone would fake something like that or how they'd benefit from doing so, because there's much easier ways to fool people before tackling a disorder the average person doesn't even understand

like my first reaction to a psychology breakthrough isn't "oh pfff fake" so i'm gonna tend to trust the people qualified to study it

i don't know how someone would fake something like that or how they'd benefit from doing so, because there's much easier ways to fool people before tackling a disorder the average person doesn't even understand

like my first reaction to a psychology breakthrough isn't "oh pfff fake" so i'm gonna tend to trust the people qualified to study it

yeah idk i think some people thiink it is cool and edgy to have multiple personalities so they fake it. i don't think it is very common but i think some teens who are in their Edgy phase fake it on the internet to be Ultra Cool

I'm guessing level headed people who have it arent lying. Maybe some teens or young adults if anyone.

why are people using haven't encountered x for a reason to be skeptical? you're not just going to stumble onto every single thing in life on your own

why are people using haven't encountered x for a reason to be skeptical? you're not just going to stumble onto every single thing in life on your own

Seriously. And from what research I've done on it, many times DID comes about from childhood trauma and abuse, so I think it's important to not invalidate someone's experience with that illness. Childhood abuse is no joke and it can really mess you up for life, so telling someone with DID they're just faking it can add insult to injury.

God that AP test on Monday was hard.....i found AP psychology fun and a real mind tester.....no pun intended i guess
and yes the DSM ..... currently the DSM5

but yeah my GF has DID ...even with her disorder its fun being around her...its like talking to 4 different people ....she really doesn't mind them and i find them interesting ....idk you can actually tell which personality is who because they all talk differently....act different and oddly even write slightly different

Last edited:
God that AP test on Monday was hard.....i found AP psychology fun and a real mind tester.....no pun intended i guess
and yes the DSM ..... currently the DSM5

but yeah my girlfriend has DID ...even with her disorder its fun being around her...its like talking to 4 different people ....she really doesn't mind them and i find them interesting ....idk you can actually tell which personality is who because they all talk differently....act different and oddly even write slightly different

Cool :O

I think its real. I once thought I had it, but I pretty sure I don't now. I was very messed up a while ago, only not long figured out the reason to my torment :| from what I read it occurs when, for example a child is caught between there parents abuse and fights, so they create a happy fantasy world to escape, and with it an imaginary self. its all very complicated and few have been recorded to have it.

Back