ど
Pavé
Orange Candy
Purple Candy
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Hey there (gosh I'm making a lot of threads lately pls forgive me ;-; )

So anywayyyy I've been in the process of designing some oc's for a couple stories of mine and blah blah but this is Max!

The irony here being once I drew the first draft of him I was all like 'hm I like weird unusual names I don't want to call him max or something...' But Max suited him! So I went with it

I'm still working out a lot about him but I've done a bit of concept art (aka awful quick sketches) and a crappy chibi but oh well art is art, right? (Update and a badish headshot and mii)

I'll tell you guys a bit about him etc and show you the stuff I've done and then if anyone wanted to give him a little sketch or something I would be eternally grateful or pay you or something haha

I'll put it all in spoilers bc idk how long it'll be or whatever so yeah ^_^ I'd like to see what people think of him and stuff haha

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
(Ignore my unreadable notes down the side there)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So basically, Max (and Arlo who I have yet to design) are based off of these two characters which I was very worried about doing, but they're from my fanfiction and in which the two characters (from Pokemon lol) are 19 when in the anime obvs they're 10 so they're really different and I feel like they're characters in their own right and I wanted to make them ones. I've been careful when designing them and stuff that they're not too similar to the characters they're based off and I want to turn the Pokemon fanfic I'm writing into a spin off backstory book for these two when everyone falls in love with them as side characters from a different book
(I mean they're cute and lovable (I mean I love them so) and gay and that for some reason makes them 110% more likeable to most teenage girls inc me tho why I have no clue)
So anyway I'll probs have to say who they're based off when I'm going into detail and asking for helppp xD

Ayy so basically Max has been through a load of *insert swear word here* that I put him through my poor baby, so a lil tragedy back story for Max is here I guess...

So Max only lived with his parents until he was two, their jobs forcing them to travel a lot and they wanted Max to have a good childhood so he moved in with his grandparents on their farm (you get 1 guess as to who he's based off lol) and then when he was three his parents missed his birthday and he remembers crying because his mum and dad weren't there on his third birthday. On his fourth birthday, his parents promised to be there on time, but they never made it. Max was told that his parents had both died. So basically now he hates his birthday. But he didn't know his parents too well, though obviously he's devastated etc but life goes on.

The other young boy in the neighbourhood is called Arlo and they become ish friends, not too close as Max prefers to spend his time on the farm and at home etc. at the age of six his grandmother died, and she had been his major mother figure up until now and him being just that little bit older means that it impacts on him an awful lot and for a while he's closed off and doesn't like doing much except reading and spending time with the animals, and his grandfather doesn't really know what to do.

Between the ages of 6 and around 11 Max becomes a little bit of a jerk towards Arlo and always wants to prove he's better (and subconsciously it's because Arlo has a mother and father and little sister and that's what Max wants) and so the two get into spats a lot and they end up not really liking each other that much.

But when it's time to go to secondary school, Arlo goes to a different school which is a little way away out of town and busy with school work etc, the two try to stay out of each other's way and they only ever see each other in passing.

When they're 16, just finished exams and have an extra long summer, Max and Arlo reconcile and become very close very quickly. They spend the summer almost every day together and when there's around 2 weeks left, Max realises that he's fallen in love with Arlo.

He never gets the chance to tell him, however because Arlo is going off to college (as is Max) however Arlo's college is far away and he's boarding there so he's not going to see Arlo for a long time.

(Idk what Arlo's dream is but his uni is abroad too so...)

When he's eighteen, Max meets a girl called Lilla and they date for around 5 months and he loves her a lot. Their relationship is easy and good and they hardly ever fight, it seems as if they'll be able to stay that way forever but (again) tragedy strikes and on the way back from a pub, Lilla gets hit by a car and though they're both rushed to hospital, Lilla doesn't make it.

So after this obviously Max falls into depression and loses the will to live (I think maybe he at some point tried to commit suicide, my mum said that seems likely with everything he's been through) and so yeah he tried to commit suicide and (possibly is on anti-depressants) but he falls into the alcohol thing, you know what I mean, he goes to the pub every night and gets completely wasted, trying to drown his pain away in alcohol and ends up going home with / bringing home a different girl almost every night or other nights he drinks by the fireplace in his office (idk his job yet) and cries for hours.

So yeah that's all pretty *swear word here too* and wow I feel like a horrible person

Did anyone actually read all of that?

So the fanfic actually starts around here, and his grandfather is like Max you can't keep doing this you need to work but Max's parents left him a small fortune and he technically doesn't /need/ to (did I mention he didn't tell anyone what happened to Lilla he just told his grandfather they broke up bc she moved away)

And it starts with a knock at Max's office door but Max is asleep and he opens it and Arlo is standing there (now 19 and so is Max) and Max is even more closed off with walls higher than ever before but with Arlo's bubbly personality he perseveres and eventually they rebuild their close friendship

Idk how I'm changing it in the fic but they end up confessing their feelings for one another and things start looking up for Max, he's feeling a lot happier for the first time in literally freaking years or smth and his grandfather is the number one shipper of #marlo its amazing but dun dun dun more freaking plot twists because not enough stuff has happened to Max yet

So I mean tbh he already knew about this but he has to leave Arlo at his house suddenly be he has to rush to the hospital bc he has to be there with Megan who is in labour because yes during all that sleeping around he didn't get an std but he did get a baby (wtf was i thinking when I came up with that?!)

So being a stupid idiot my poor baby doesn't know how to broach the subject of having a daughter now with Arlo (they are only 19) so he tries to stop Arlo coming over one day (bc he has the baby for a week every month which apparently according to my mother isn't v realistic or smth) but anyway Arlo comes over anyway and sees the baby and they get into a MASSIVE argument resulting in a lot of things being said in the heat of the moment (eg the baby is a mistake how could Max be so stupid etc and Max telling Arlo to get the hell out of his life etc)

So two weeks pass by and they're both miserable and stuff and blah blah but Arlo shows up on his doorstep and they make up and it's all cute and emotional and ugh and then it's all good, Christmas goes by and new year but Arlo has to go back to uni or wherever the heck he was that allowed him 6 months off and Max is like no I can't keep you from your dream you have to go

So Arlo leaves and they're long distance dating and it's all sad and lonely etc and anyway, whatever the hecky Max's job is allows him to go abroad for the job and he schedules (with one of Arlo's friends he knows) a 'run in' with him and they have a few days together and that's all cute and good and awe but then Max has to go back and he's like ugh I wanna be with you Arlo so whatever his job is is like ah actually it would be good if I stayed here with you bc then i can do this!

So if you didn't know yet they're loosely based off Gary and Ash from Pokemon yay so Gary's job is as a Pokemon researcher and Ash obviously is going to travel round Kalos and reach his dream and then Gary decides that travelling with Ash would be good to be able to do research so that's how that works so I'm not sure what to have Max and Arlo's job / dreams be...

Um if you managed to get through all that I applaud you bc I wouldn't have
Any thoughts? Or anything or help or drawings or something or just a wow well done you typed a lot friendo

So me and my mum have taken to talking about max and Arlo when we walk our dog so that's been useful and good to have in depth talks with another person.

So we've decided Max is a writer, and that will consequently allow him to travel around if needs be but he prefers to stay home but that way he can temporarily move to where Arlo's uni is.

Arlo wants to be a film director and we've changed the timings so that when Arlo leaves its in September to go to uni and Max decided not to go to uni and just write (Arlo took a gap year which is why he's only just going at 19)

I added more art yay I did one with clothes but I couldn't be bothered to tidy them up or colour properly so I hid them and just did a head shot of Max for now

I should've been drawing Arlo I knowwww but I like drawing Max too much and idk what to do Arlo's hair like, it's black and he has blue eyes and ugh I have no clue help me

Last edited:
Oh, yay! You decided to post your OC! :D

I wouldn't worry about them being too similar to existing Pokemon characters. I mean, when you point out the fact that they are based off of Ash and Gary I can kinda see what you're saying, but if you hadn't mentioned it I don't think I really would have thought of it. You've added darker content (alcohol binges, suicide attempts) that isn't present in the Pokemon universe, so I think you've set them apart from other characters through their backstories.

Nice job! I'm looking forward to seeing a sketch of arlo! :)

Oh, yay! You decided to post your OC! :D

I wouldn't worry about them being too similar to existing Pokemon characters. I mean, when you point out the fact that they are based off of Ash and Gary I can kinda see what you're saying, but if you hadn't mentioned it I don't think I really would have thought of it. You've added darker content (alcohol binges, suicide attempts) that isn't present in the Pokemon universe, so I think you've set them apart from other characters through their backstories.

Nice job! I'm looking forward to seeing a sketch of arlo! :)

Ah thank you :3 I'm glad you think they're not immediately recognisable as who they're based off I was worried about that aha
I should have been doing sketches of Arlo..... But I drew Max again.... Oops...?

Ah thank you :3 I'm glad you think they're not immediately recognisable as who they're based off I was worried about that aha
I should have been doing sketches of Arlo..... But I drew Max again.... Oops...?

If you're more in the mood to draw Max than Arlo, then I say go for it! I find things usually turn out better when you're feeling inspired. Arlo will get his turn sooner or later. ;)

Edit: I just saw the update to the first post! It's so great to see more art of Max! :) Is the outfit on the Mii what you envision him wearing? It's good to have a full body ref like that.

Last edited:
If you're more in the mood to draw Max than Arlo, then I say go for it! I find things usually turn out better when you're feeling inspired. Arlo will get his turn sooner or later. ;)

Edit: I just saw the update to the first post! It's so great to see more art of Max! :) Is the outfit on the Mii what you envision him wearing? It's good to have a full body ref like that.

I think so, I think the cardigan would maybe be undone but it doesn't really matter whether it's buttoned up or not, does it? He might have just been cold haha

Ah I'm glad you like the art aha it turned out better than the others so I'm glad about that at least >_<

Back