I'm worried!

I'm sure you'll have a blast, just always do your homework and everything should be fine :p

Yes, always do your homework! That is a must. I've never had a detention simply because I did what I was supposed to do and I did my homework. Although, I you do miss out on it once just say you forgot and you promise to bring it in tomorrow during lunch. My friends have done that before, works amazing.

Oh trust me, you'll be fine. Just be yourself, stick to a few friends at first, don't be a total goofball. Go out of your way and be nice, help people and you'll be loved in no time :')

Last edited:
you should be fine c: its really not as bad as it seems tbh, for the student count--yeah, the halls will most likely be really crowded like any middle/high school, but you'll survive. helpful advice; if its difficult to get through the crowd, shoving past people wouldnt hurt..i've done it without an issue and it worked haha..

i doubt it would be crowded before/after school either, it'll most likely feel like your elementary school before classes start. if its as big as you say, all the students will be scattered around like in the cafeteria, basketball court, or just anywhere outside--at least thats how it is for my school

im sure everything will turn into a great experience, just try not to overthink the small things

You'll be fine, trust me. I went from a school of ~280 to one ~2100. If you're friendly and avoid acting obnoxious you won't have any problems.

I just finished my first year of secondary, and there were 180 kids in my year/grade aswell! So I guess I have first-hand experience. Pretty much, older kids might laugh and stuff in the corridors, but just blank them. Stick with your friends. Or make new friends, either works. Don't get a bad reputation, get organised, do your homework, but most importantly, don't stress. :)

Last edited:
That's really not too big, you'll be fine!
I just got out of a really small middle school. My grade had around 180 students too.. approx. 400 students in the whole school.
Now I'm entering high school, where my grade alone is the size of my whole middle school. The whole school has about 1500 students. Fun..

Even as I say that, I know I'll be fine too. Everyone adjusts :)

Last edited:
In three days I am joining secondary school (7th grade-11th grade) and it's HUGE! Literally one of the blocks is the size of my old school. And there are over 180 kids in my year! There weren't 180 kids in my whole SCHOOL!
Advice ASAP please! I'm freaking OUT!

All I can say, is slay my queen. Slay.(◕‿◕✿)

The high school I attended had over 2000 students and the university I'm attending currently has over 30,000. 180 per block doesn't sound big at all. Making friends was easy at that age anyway.

Is anyone from your primary school going to secondary with you? It's the best of both worlds if someone is, because you have the comfort of knowing at least someone else, but you'll also have loads of opportunities to meet new people and make new friends. I'd second the advice of what some others have said about clubs and societies; I was in the choir at school, even though my singing's terrible, because I made loads of friends there.

Don't worry about it. Honestly I do remember my first day of year 7 and it was incredibly daunting. The first week is the scariest. After that it is much easier. You will settle in and you will get used to it. It is different, of course. You do have much more freedom and you're treated with much more respect since you're older now.

Really, if there's one bit of advice I can stress to you, it's this. Just get out there and be positive and be yourself. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Don't worry. There will be silly little boys and silly little girls in all of your classes who love messing about and showing off to try and seem cool and funny. They'll probably say bad or nasty things... Some people just don't grow up. That happened to me, of course. It ruined my self-esteem and confidence badly. But I know if I had not let them get to me, I know that if I had realised I was much more mature than them because I actually grew up over the summer holidays from year 6 to year 7, then I would have probably enjoyed secondary school a bit more. I don't want this to frighten you or anything, but, you're going to get nasty people no matter where you go. That's life unfortunately, and I met a lot of them at secondary school. But... If there is one thing people will respect you for, it's for being yourself and being positive and always doing your best. I remember, one of the "cool kids" in my class actually said to me in our last year of secondary school that he thought I was really cool and admired me because I never followed the crowd and just liked to be my own person. And people respect that. There is nothing wrong in following the crowd at all, but if you just act yourself, people will like you for that and WANT to be your friend. Put yourself out there, join clubs, get involved with school life, seriously just do it. I never did that and I wish I did. And enjoy it.

Also, do your homework. Seriously. x_x You will get a lot (or well it seems like a lot at first lmao - but you get virtually none if primary school) but if you keep on top of it you will have little or no reason to feel stressed at school and you will get into good habits for when you're in the older years.

And, don't let the older years get to you. x_x And by the older years, I mean the year 8s and 9s. Suddenly when year 7s join they think "omg wow we're not the youngest anymore" and it boosts their egos and they think they suddenly 'own the school'. x3 Just remember they're stupid little brats and will probably grow up... soon. And no offense to any people who might be in year 8 or 9 reading this - you are probably not like this but there are people who are. :(

;v; Year 7 feels like a long time ago for me. I'm in my last year of school/year 13 now - welp, I'm in sixth form anyway. It flies by..

eh i am in 6th grade, and its only the "best" school in texas :c

it actually was last year idk

If I had to give you any solid advice for those grades, it would be for you to just be yourself.
I find too many people at that age try their hardest to fit in and in the process they lose themselves, and drama ensues.

You don't want drama.

Seriously, just be yourself. People at my highschool would jeer at new freshmen when they would try to act like something they weren't to fit in - it's extremely easy to spot and it makes it hard to take somebody seriously.

Also, just a huge piece of life advice in general:

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff, but too long to take unnecessary crap.

Last edited:
That's kind of like how I went into high school. I went from 30 kids in my year to 180 kids in my year. My situation clearly wasn't as drastic as severe as yours is, but there's no need to worry. Just hang around some people you already know and slowly start to branch out. Good luck.

Hi,
Secondary School in the UK? You should be fine :)
I'm going into Year 9 on Monday, and I've been through so much I'll try to share as much advice as I can
Making Friends- I was the first and only person from my Primary School, so I knew nobody. Then again, I was very hostile and didn't even TRY to make friends. Talk! Find some shy people. They can make the best friends. It's best to just have a few close friends rather than a lot of friends who don't really care about you. In fact, the shy people are the ones I stay up late talking to on Instagram. You can make friendships that last a lifetime- so make an effort and be friendly and approachable! No need to be shy, everyone's the same age as you. If you see someone lonely, talk to them!

Ah, big schools can be daunting. My Primary School had 400-500 pupils and then I enter a school with 1,000. There are also around 180 people in each year. Don't worry! Yes, there can be massive crowds and all, but hey- more people means more friends, right? :)

Workload- it's never too bad in Year 7, but it will increase. You'll get tests at the end of each topic (or at least that's what I've been getting). In Year 8 my history teacher always gave massive homework- essays, posters, ugh. You'll be writing essays, yes. Don't worry! You can manage this by doing some work at school, and then some at home. If you feel you can't manage- stop!Take a break or carry on tomorrow. Do half-term and holiday homework the day you get it to have a relaxing break.

You'll survive! It's harsher than Primary School, but also better in many ways. You get independence and have unforgettable bonds. I say- dedicate yourself, work hard and make great friends! Enjoy every last minute of it.
Year 7 & Year 8 are OK- In year 9 it gets real. Enjoy yourself!
Good Luck! x

I'm probably moving out of the country at the end of the month and so I'll need to get used to a very different and harder school system, plus I feel more used to speaking English, so speaking Polish will be quite a big change. I'll also need to make new friends >o<

Last edited:
I'm going into year 9 now so it hasn't been too long since I joined secondary school. I was quite nervous when I started but I was fine after a few weeks. I'd stick with any worthwhile friends from primary but also try to make new ones. Try to avoid the buttheads and try to be friendly to people, but don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.
Make sure to watch Dan's 'how not to survive school' video before you go. I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck! <3

The high school I attended had over 2000 students and the university I'm attending currently has over 30,000. 180 per block doesn't sound big at all. Making friends was easy at that age anyway.

It might not be easy for others, keep in mind.

Back