How many times did you reset to get your map?

I'd say somewhere around a hundred and fifty times for my current map, but the one before it took three full days of constant resetting as I went about my normal activities. If the opening sequence takes under two minutes to get to the map reveal, that's a shamefully high number of resets just to cater to some really specific demands I had in mind.

In my defense, I kept screwing up the placement of my house.

Between 15 and 30 resets for me, and my map is pretty much perfect. I didn't have anything too specific in mind, that may have played a part in how quickly I found a good map.

I've been trying to get a good map for a day. I want my beach on the right. a river that begins in the middle of town and flows south. A peninsula for my house. That there is no secret beach. That the access to the motorhome area is clear without buildings in front.

Pretty sure it took me at least 50 resets for Litheon back then and believe me I was lucky that it didn’t took me days or weeks. I was super picky, had a list to check that included:

-Exact one map shape, I didn’t want anything else
-Circle grass
-Cherry fruit
-Campsite entrance is right at the left top most, next to plaza
-Town hall is on the other side of plaza, close proximity
-Retail is on the bottom part of the map and at a desirable place
-No villager house on the right top part of bottom slice of the map, where I wanted my mayor’s house to be
-2 or 3 ponds, no more no less

edit: current map for reference
C286038A-92CA-435D-A8AC-8F1697C22149.jpeg

Last edited:
I did not reset at all for my first town, Sakura. I didn't have anything specific in mind, so I just picked my favorite of the first 4 maps that Rover showed me and I've been very happy with it. I did want cherries as my native fruit but I never considered resetting for them and luckily I got them anyway.

For my second town, Nocturne, I had a couple of requirements:

1. I wanted the river that cuts diagonally through town and looks like steps.
2. I wanted a large open space somewhere in the northern part of town to place my mayor's house.

I didn't care about grass patterns, native fruit, villagers, or anything else. I can't remember exactly how many times I had to reset to meet those two requirements, but I know I was resetting for around an hour. Not too bad, in my opinion.

I've never reset my town for my map or reset it at all. I feel that my map layout is a bit weird since there aren't that many open spaces and there's a piece of land that's narrow and far away from everything else which also made my beach cut in two and for the other part to be a very small piece of land. But I don't feel that it's a big deal and nothing worth resetting over.

My main island, 0. I knew the cans and can'ts of terraforming from before release, so I took the first map I seen with a west/east river outlet. At this time, I didn't know there were 2 different sizes of docks or the fact that some beaches have huge boulders obstructing them. For whatever reason, I didn't concern myself with the Town Hall's position, which is bothersome now. I'm guessing I was just too excited to get started that night. That last thing is I didn't know the importance of the airport color. Though I did luck out and get Yellow.

On my second island, I reset probably 10 times just to get the near perfect beach, dock, airport color, and Town Hall placement.

back when i created my town almost 5 years ago, i barely had a clue what to look for in a good map, but i had one of my friends help me decide! all i was really looking out for was a good placement of the re-tail store and the town hall! looking back though i was also really lucky with how my river was flowing in my town so over all i'm still happy with it all those years later :) .. oh i suppose i forgot to answer your initial question lol!! i only had to reset once i believe :D

I’m going through the exact same thing...Still. I started 2 days ago and still haven’t got one my requirements are
•Re-Tail close to dock
•Plaza and town hall close to train station
•Limited Ponds
•And the map has to feel right

Back then I didn't even know we could reset to get another town layout so I didn't restart at all. When I found out that you could, I felt tempted but I had put so much work into it that I didn't want to lose all the work I had done. I don't regret it because I love my map and I don't think I would've been able to find a better map but I do wish I reset for different native fruit so I could have a better perfect fruit like perfect apples. I made it work in the end though. I reset my New Horizons map like at least a hundred times though because I didn't want to have any regrets.

I didn't think of resetting for a good map! :'0 I got a pretty decent map though. I'll probably going to put fake water paths down and have a lot of flower patches. I haven't played New Leaf in a while, since I'm still planning what I want to do with my town ^^;

I actually didn't reset for my map but for getting Stitches. I even remember that when I finally got him, I chose a map I didn't like because I was almost giving up. It grew on me, though, and took around 7 hours to get. I still remember this very well since I was so excited to play the game but couldn't because I spent all the time resetting 😅

I was planning to reset for my map when I first started, but I ended up not needing to. The main things I was looking for were a central town tree, not too many ponds, and a river that didn't create a narrow strip of land at the top. One of the first maps Rover showed me fit the bill pretty well, so I went with it.

I simply didn't. The map layout wasn't extremely important to me and somehow I also got 2 villagers I wanted immediately so I didn't reset at all.

Back