• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How many males are here?

Sbwoijwot

I think I should write a custom title.
Bells
Just something that crossed my mind just now. Animal Crossing has always been a fandom mainly dominated by women, with my best friends list in New Leaf consistently having mostly women over men simply because there's a lot more women playing. Of course, that's not really a bad thing, but recently I started to wonder how many men are in the fandom. I suppose I can ask and see how many men are here specifically.
I'm aware of a poll once made here on the bell tree forums, but because of how old that is I can't help but wonder if it's really that accurate these days.
So, out of curiosity, how many men are here? What got you into Animal Crossing?

been playing Animal Crossing since Gamecube. but yes, most of the friends ive made throughout the years playing Animal Crossing are female.

i've been playing since gamecube, too! i guess i grew up in a nintendo household and my parents bought the game for me on a whim and i was hooked, haha. i might be an oddity, but most of my friends who play animal crossing are men. i guess we just grew up playing it together and never really stopped.

I’m AFAB (female at birth), but I identify as non-binary. Not necessarily male, but I do lean slightly more masculine if that counts for anything. I’m not sure how many people here still play the game and are male. I believe there are members here who’ve stuck around despite not playing the game anymore. This site attracts Animal Crossing fans, but it keeps people around due to the liveliness and friendliness of the forum.

Finding males that play Animal Crossing on this site isn’t a difficult task but finding a number for it may be. Commenting here might not necessarily mean they play Animal Crossing, but they just enjoy this forum as a whole.
That poll is definitely outdated, by the way.

I do like the series, but I personally stick around for the community. There are other series that I prefer, such as Super Mario. I know this is a more serious response to a thread clearly created out of curiosity, so I apologize if it comes off as such.

I got into AC because of my continuing disinterest in Pokemon. During the Gen 7 era I began looking at other franchises. One of my 3DS came with New Leaf as part of a promotion so I decided to play it and was instantly hooked. I can see why most males wouldn't play AC but I believe the game is truly for everyone. For me, its a nice relaxing game that I can play at my own pace. I love designing so that's a plus too.

I am a male and have enjoyed Animal Crossing since the GameCube. I do believe the series is really for everyone, even though there's a lot of guys who aren't interested in it.

Was debating whether to comment here or not. Yeah, that poll in the pinned thread really is outdated like Croconaw mentioned, lmao. I'm curious to see what the results would be if a new one had been made in the time since, but alas. That did not happen.

Another male player here. I completely ignore the fact these days about the series being mostly female-oriented, as that so-called "fact" is irrelevant to me. I grew to love this series so much because of how chill it is, the cute villagers telling me I matter to them, and how New Horizons especially got me through a challenging period in my life (and quite frankly, for a lot of others too). I used to be afraid to tell others about my love for the series, as I didn't want to be labelled a "furry" or made fun of for playing a game that's not entirely catered to males. Three years past New Horizons' release, I finally decided to join a few communities, and began to realize how well I vibe with other fans; those on TBT especially. I ultimately decided to spend most of my time here because almost every user I've interacted with has made me feel welcome. I can pretty much share my interests, opinions and frustrations and not be harassed, which is fantastic.

It really goes to show how you can find who you really are if you look deep inside an interest, regardless of what gender you identify as. My advice to other males who "shamefully and secretly" play Animal Crossing would be this: It can be hard to admit your interest of a cute talking animal game to other males, but if it personally makes YOU happy, that's all that matters. There's a reason why every Animal Crossing game is rated E - it can be for everyone.

According to the pinned thread 28% of users here are male. 😊
I am aware of the thread that was made. I didn't know it was pinned though.
I figured i'd make this because of how old the poll is. Most of the users who voted probably don't even use this site anymore. I figured i'd make this post just to see how many men are here these days I guess. I kinda wish polls could be sorted from newest votes or users who have been active within the last few months.

Last edited:
I too am in fact a male as well. (Says so on my username if you couldn't tell)

When I got interested in this game, way back in 2006 when I thought this game was lame. It wasn't until my brother's birthday where he got a copy for himself. I found out it was real, I wanted a copy for myself. I got one that day, and weeks, months and years after I could feel the joyous yay! Now I love the series very so, I won't ever put the game down no no no!

(Yes, I had to rhyme every sentence in this post. I don't normally do that, but I wanted to in this one the most)

Hey, actually, could I make my own gender poll? Or would that just get removed since there's already a gender poll?
I am aware of the thread that was made. I didn't know it was pinned though.
I figured i'd make this because of how old the poll is. Most of the users who voted probably don't even use this site anymore. I figured i'd make this post just to see how many men are here these days I guess. I kinda wish polls could be sorted from newest votes or users who have been active within the last few months.

Its funny cuz I think the original Animal crossing games were moreso trying to target the male (and potentially, stoner) audience. I'm fairly confident in guessing that TBT used to be primarily male back in the early days

I'm a dude and I like Animal Crossing. 💪 I like it because I've always been a creative and imaginative individual. I'm rather introverted and calm, so games like Animal Crossing where you get to express yourself, discover new things and play at a calm and care-free pace seemed fun to me. 🦋 I also never had many friends, so interacting with the villagers and playing with others online let me interact and socialize with others without any pressure. 😁

I remember in the 3rd grade in primary school, I had a crush on a classmate and she played Animal Crossing too. I gave her a Mallary keychain from some gachapon machine and I had the human male one. We would sometimes play pretend with them during class and while nothing ever materialized from that interaction, it certainly further cements my adulation for the Animal Crossing series. 💖

Its funny cuz I think the original Animal crossing games were moreso trying to target the male (and potentially, stoner) audience. I'm fairly confident in guessing that TBT used to be primarily male back in the early days
Ehh, was Animal Crossing ever really geared towards one gender in particular? GameCube/64 let you select between male or female so they clearly had women playing as well in mind, and "girly" furniture sets (specifically the lovely series) has been in the series since Doubutsu No Mori up until it's retirement in New Horizons. I guess the gaming landscape was almost exclusively male back then so maybe they mostly had men in mind, but I don't really see anything in the games that really implies that.

let's go fellas

tumblr_nv6goeKGGX1udb6k9o1_500.jpg

I saw my sister and her boyfriend (now my brother-in-law) playing this stupid looking game on a regular basis. While crossing the room one day, I saw that they were sending each other really offensive letters. I found it funny, decided to try it out, and got hooked.

I was female when I first got into AC, but since then, I've transed my gender 👍

As for when I first got into Animal Crossing, my grandma bought us the game for Valentine's Day 2021. We set it up on the Switch that we got for Christmas and I've been an addict ever since.

Back