• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How many people are you giving gifts to this Christmas? 🎄✨

How many people are you giving gifts to this year?

• Total voters

S.J.

💜
Bells
Island
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
This came up when I was chatting with someone today! Obviously gift-giving is only a small part of Christmas, but I'm curious, how many people are you giving gifts to this year? Who are you buying for?

If I tally up how many gifts I'm giving this Christmas, I've got 6 humans (and 3 dogs) to buy for! Namely, my mum (who is my Secret Santa recipient), and my siblings' children! (And also one Christmas Eve birthday to buy for!) 🎄✨💝

just my family!! 3 peoples. i've been giving hints to my sister about what they're going to get for their bday/christmas present and it's been really fun hehe

this might sound bad, but I don't plan on buying any gifts for people this year. I also don't expect people to get me anything (I haven't really gotten anything for the last few years anyway). finances are still a bit tight for me, maybe next year will be different but I don't know.

I will say, though, that I like to give gifts throughout the year, whether it be a physical item or a piece of art or whatever. that's not something I reserve for Christmas time. when I visited @/Shellzilla_515 back in October I gave him one of my fox plushies as a gift, and I have some ideas to buy/make gifts for other friends in the coming months. I like to give gifts, but I think there's a bit too much pressure this time of year.

I mostly plan on making banana bread from scratch as most people don't need more clutter or want anything in particular. I prefer just to buy for kids anyway as I feel like the family gifting thing is for kids anyway. The older kids get money and banana bread and younger kids are getting older games they never played before. Except one kid, as he isn't allowed to have video games so he got a paper escape the dungeon book with dice ( a potential gateway to dungeons and dragons honestly..) assuming his mom doesn't take it away from him...

It would be a higher number, but half of the family is normally flooded by candy and cookies from one person (like multiple med-large tins of stuff each) so I normally don't make anything for adults on that side because there is just too much... but I'm considering doing it anyway this year due to changes made this year about get togethers on that side.. (not in the poll count) so that person very well may not flood us all with those things... I hope, Idk. I never finish it and since it has chocolate in every item, I can't feed it to wildlife or my dogs so it gets tossed, which I feel bad about but, what am I going to do? No one needs all that or should have all that. I don't want it taking up space in my freezer that's for other things. Some of it is good and some of it isn't.

And honestly we don't see each other except for holidays and sometimes birthdays anyway though we've tried to get them to meet us at restaurants through the year that are near them since they have complained about not seeing people outside of that stuff but.. they dont have time? So honestly just a dinner together is nice as it is.. impo anyway.. idk about their opinion honestly lol. The year we announced we aren't gifting to adults anymore and not to gift us anything, they didn't believe us then some got mad about it.

Though I love giving gifts, that is just one aspect I really don't like about this time of year, the expectation of stuff/duty from others or getting flooded with a bunch of stuff you don't need when your fine just spending TIME.
Like idk about all of you, but as you get older it is noticable about how hard it is to get other adults synced with you just to spend TIME. Just a simple met up for food, as people tend to eat daily.... Is like pulling teeth (do you really want to actually meet up?).
So honestly I really think just having time is a pretty big thing anymore. Or they don't really want to spend time and just trying to manipulate which I'd be surprised if it's that considering soo many people have this repeated pattern it seems..

i honestly don't really give gifts? not lately, anyway. i make it clear that i'm not in a good financial place to do so early on, and i never expect anything from anyone else. my folks do get me some things, though. maybe things will be different in thr future!

already did christmas technically. 6 is what i did. my dad and his gf, my sister and brother-in-law, my partner, and then my bestie who's birthday is two days before christmas. but i'm not being lame and getting her just one gift for both lol, im doing 2 for each. two xmas gifts and two birthday gifts.

Despite my crappy days and weeks. Only one person is giving me gifts and its my mom. I know she and I have our differances but she got something for me. She won't tell me what it is until Christmas. As for me I don't have anything to give anyone.

Last edited:
I used to draw as a gift to my family and people here and there that I met and then fallen off and stopped because I didn't feel people cared for my gifts. I don't blame them they aren't useful, they're just drawings. Felt they were unwanted so hand crafted gift are only really appreciated if they are useful. So big lie there that handcraffed gifts are always the best that is not what most people think even well meaning ones.
I am currently on my journey to become independent financially so I can't be spending much money on others unfortunately so I decided I gift for birthdays and that's all. And they are usually very cheap yet useful gifts like pens or notebooks for example. I don't know many people anyway so it is not much of a worry to me, the friends I have are long distance and we just wish happy christmas to each other. The only people I have presently with me is my family, we're only 4 people. We don't put a huge importance into gifting to each other so we just enjoy each other company and for all holidays I have been taugh that. For me is more important to be present for your loved ones and celebrate together than to gift. I met a few people who are the opposite and find gifting super essencial they find me and my family weird :ROFLMAO: . But in the end it is just different. I certainly prefer not to be pressure to gift when I sadly can't and reassured that my presence in the celebration is welcomed and more than enough.

Last edited:
This year I'm only buying for 4 people. I always usually buy some gifts for family (who I'm buying for this year) but I'm not exchanging gifts with friends or coworkers this time.

Just my sister, her husband, and my nephew. I got them each something nice that I believe that they will really enjoy. I like to put some thought into my gifts and try to pick out something I know the recipient will truly enjoy.

I bought/made presents for 6 people this year. My parents, my aunt, and my 3 closest friends. My love language is gift giving so I absolutely love getting presents for the people who mean the most to me^^

I don't really give gifts, which sounds bad, lol. I did get my mom two things (with my dad) which she will be getting on Thursday. She lives about 15+ miles away and I do not see her often. She got a foot massager with a built in foot warmer, and a crotchet blanket. She's always freezing.

I gave gifts to my extended family since I'm staying with them. Funnily enough, I don't think I got anything for my immediate family, but they don't really care. We're trying to save money right now anyway.

As for me, I haven't really received anything, but also don't really care! I'm older now and don't really need to receive gifts every year anymore. I'd rather people either save their money or surprise me if they're going to get me something. c:

The most important thing about the holidays to me is not the gifts, but the people you spend time with. 💚

Six, just my family. Although one of my relatives isn’t coming over this year, so it’ll technically be five on Christmas day.

I bought gifts for 12 people this year, but 5 of them are kids.

It's important for me to spend a lot of time picking out the perfect gifts for my niece and nephews because I only get to see them a few times a year. The gifts are things that I hope they will love and treasure and will remind them of me when we're apart.

In addition to the kids, I buy gifts for my mom, my aunt, my uncle, my husband, my MIL, and my FIL every year. I also started buying gifts for a friend last year because he bought gifts for me and I feel a need to reciprocate even though he says it's not necessary.

I like gift giving, but the expectation of it during the holidays becomes too stressful sometimes. I'm not currently exchanging gifts with the people in my generation except for my husband and the 1 friend. Siblings, cousins, etc don't seem to mind. We either never started or it faded out due to life's circumstances. I imagine that once the older generation has passed on (not that I'm rushing that!), focus will just be on the kids and I'll be fine with that.

I am buying gifts for my side of the famiy, my in laws side, my husband and kitty (of course)

Good thing I am really organised and had most of it all done and already wrapped by December.

Me voting six until I counted and realized it was ten - all immediate family and in-laws.

I hope to find a new group of friends here next year to swap gifts with because it's something I used to do & enjoy every year. I love coming across gifts I know certain people will love! 💜

13 total. I used to shop for more, but over the years I've stopped with some because of a number of reasons. Some of the ones I shop for now I started with gift cards this year. It's just easier. They never tell me what they want, I have to pull teeth with them, and they're always super picky. So take the money and get the crap you want lol.

I'd rather focus my thoughts on presents for the others that I spend more time with.

Back