• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you prefer to end a multiplayer session?

How do you prefer to end a multiplayer session?

• Let visitors leave as host/Leave via the airport as visitor

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Let visitors leave as host/Leave via the minus button as visitor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let visitors leave as host/Let host end session as visitor

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • End session as host/Leave via the airport as visitor

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • End session as host/Leave via the minus button as visitor

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • End session as host/Let host end session as visitor

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

~Kilza~

Staff
Bells
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
So this post in another thread got me curious, how does everybody prefer to end a multiplayer session?

Personally, I prefer just letting people leave via the airport as a host, and leave through the airport myself if I'm a visitor. I still remember the early days of NH where people were warning against using the minus button since it risked things not saving (and in rare cases could cause save corruption?), so I've always taken caution to just use the airport to leave and let my visitors do the same.

That said, I'll mention the only time I'll ever end the session as a host is if somebody either goes AFK or somebody tries to run further into my island when I'm not expecting it (i.e. during a trade).

I usually end the session if I'm hosting because I don't feel like waiting for people to leave and I can close my gate without going to the airport. I leave via airport on other people's islands to avoid errors.

i’ve kept the warnings against using the minus button to leave in the back of my mind since i heard them. i had used it a few times prior, usually when i was visiting an island that had multiple visitors, but i haven’t since.

nowadays, i only open my island and visit other people’s islands for trades. if i’m the visitor, i always go to leave by myself via the airport once the trade is done, and the host will either end the session when i’m in the airport, or they’ll let me leave on my own.

if i’m the host, i let people leave on their own since they usually do, though i did have someone tell me to end the session once after a very awkward min of silence LOL. i’ve thankfully never had to abruptly end an session because my visitor tried to go further than the airport area without permission.

being the host has always made me anxious because while i’ve gotten into the habit of letting and expecting my visitors to leave on their own, there’s usually always a moment when the trade is done where i have no idea what my visitor is going to do or is expecting me to do— they’ll stand there idly for a minute, and i’ll have no idea if they’re typing via the nso app or if they’re expecting me to end the session, and it’s so awkward LOL. i might start just ending the session myself so that this maybe happens less 😅

If I'm the host, I prefer to let visitors leave on their own. It just feels like nice etiquette. If I'm the visitor, I'll leave via the airport, and if the host wants to end the session while I'm on my way to the airport, then that's ok too! Regardless of why I'm on the island, when I arrive, I'll always greet the host first, and after I'll say goodbye, just so they know I'm actually leaving (and also, it's polite lol). 😊

I honestly have no idea .__. I actually made a post in the random thoughts thread about this (that you linked ^^).

Don’t get me wrong, I love trading with people on here, but regardless if whether I’m the host or the visitor, it gets really awkward in deciding whether who should be the one to initiate the ending of the session. ._.

Last edited:
Whenever I'm visiting myself I press minus to end the session

Whenever I'm trading with people who I don't know I allow them to exit the airport after the trade is done and then I shut down the session.

On simple trades I prefer that the airport is used, but if there are several people on the island I think its alright to leave using the - button. Otherwise its just wasting peoples time, if there are a bunch of people visiting to sell turnips f.ex. :) Ive only experienced someone "kicking me out" by using the - button once, I thought it was a bit impolite. I was right by the airport and wouldve preferred leaving via it, as we were the only people there and it would only have taken a few extra seconds.

I tend to let visitors leave at the airport, and I usually use that same method to avoid everyone getting thrown back to the airport themselves.

I don't mind hosts ending the session after the trade, or when people use the minus button to leave if they're the only guest. I just hate it when people use the minus button on a crowded island - you lose everything you had done prior to the last save point, which can sometimes be a fairly long time, then you get bundled back at the airport with the other visitors. I've lost some good items on giveaway islands because of people leaving through the minus button (despite being told not to).

I always let visitors leave via the airport. The only way I would end the session would be, for example: if someone was just standing as maybe their game had frozen or if they wouldn't leave after being asked to a few times. If I'm visiting another island I always try to leave via the airport. There have been times, I've quickly dropped off an item, then headed straight to the airport, and whenever I get into the airport discovered the host has ended the session. Personally, I'm not too keen on leaving via the minus button, I have lost items. This has only happened a few times, but I think it's a bit silly whenever someone has seen me heading into the airport and decides to end the session, as I would be leaving in a few seconds anyway and not risk either side losing items! However, I do respect either choice, as each individual has their own preference!

It seems forever since I visited anyone 😂 The first time I did a trade I was absolutely mortified when I was kicked from someones island. It honestly was so rude!

I would always arrive, say hello do a trade/drop off whatever requested. Then you say goodbye and go to airport. I hate it if someone is so impatient to not even wait two minutes to let you fly off, especially when you are doing a favour. I just like old fashioned manners. Nice to be nice ❤️

I'd rather eject everyone out with the minus button. It's easier and no one has to sit through 1-8 loading screens of hell. I guess if it's just one person, I'll let them leave through the airport.

Hosting is fun but also a little exhausting, and I feel like guests should be fine with being launched into the skies.

If I'm the visitor, I'll ask if they're going to end session or if they prefer me going through the airport, prior to whatever the exchange is for. Most of them have preferred the airport exit but I've been blasted away by friends.

personally, if I’m the host, I like to just let the visitors leave on their own.

And if I am the visitor, I like to just let the host end the session.

It just feels more polite to let the other person initiate leaving/ending the session, regardless if I am the host or visitor. ^_^

Last edited:
I frequently visit certain islands as a member of a club I'm in, and one of their rules states that everyone must leave the island via airport, otherwise the island's gate may crash. It makes sense; you would do that in real life, and there's no minus button you can hit, so why not? Besides, someone quietly leaving is sort of rude, especially if they don't give a notice beforehand.

I’d let the other person leave on their own if I'm the host and I’d leave on my own if I was visiting.

I just let the person end it how they wish. Most of the time they step out through the airport. I myself leave through the airport. There were some errors when the game came out, and I just stuck with the airport and kept leaving through there once the bugs were fixed.

I prefer to leave via the airport when visiting someone else's island, and I also prefer to let people leave via the airport when having visitors to my own island. This is partially due to the save corruption issue tied to the minus button method when hosting multiple people back in the early days of New Horizons; though I know that it had more to do with there being multiple visitors, whereas I've always typically been someone who just interacted with one person at a time, it's just kind of a carryover from the time before that factor was known. That said, another reason I prefer it is because it makes the game feel more "engaging" for lack of a better term, I guess? The minus button is convenient and it's certainly much faster, but I dunno, I just like making the game feel more lived in by talking to Orville at the desk in if that makes sense. All this said, my only real island visiting or island visitors for a while now has been interacting with shop owners here on the forums where I'm either picking an order up or having one delivered.

No complaints when people send me on my way with the minus button though, I don't want to waste other people's time if they rather just move things along and go about their day.

I always let my visitors leave my island through the airport then once everyone has left then I close my airport.

Every time someone has told me they will just close the island which asks me to leave the game crashes and I loose what I just traded or dropped off :(

I always feel too awkward/nervous about ending the session by pressing the - button when someone's on my island, so I just wait for the person to leave lmao.

When I'm on someone else's island, I'll say my thank-yous-and-goodbyes and if they don't kick me out by that point, then I'll go into the airport and leave. 😅

usually i use multiplayer to trade items only and not really play together (other than my sister) so I always end my sessions as host with the minus button and assume that when I visit others they prefer to do the same so that the gates will be closed automatically. its also the quickest way to end multiplayer after saying thank you and goodbye lol

it really depends for me. if im looking to do something quick (trading online being a good example) i usually just use the minus button either way to make things as quick and efficient as possible.

however, if i'm playing with a friend just for sillies, i tend to leave through the airport to get that whole vibe in, and usually will let them leave their preferred way too. sometimes though, if it's someone new to acnh or i'm just done playing and not really in the mood for more shenanigans, i'll end the session myself to make sure that everything we did during that time saves, and i'm not stuck with having stuff i did during that time unsaved. it's the most infuriating thing in the world!!!

Back