• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Harvest moon/Story of Seasons

My first was the gamecube game Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. I also played the female version Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (because in A Wonderful Life you could only play as male). That game had a huge impact on me and I played it daily for years. I especially loved the music.
Second, I played Magical Melody, which I also loved. I also played daily for about a year, but took a break because I accidentally saved over my first save file after already having a baby. I was so upset 😭
Then I played tree of tranquility, and most recently animal parade. I definitely liked both tree of tranquility and animal parade. I just love everything about harvest moon! In animal parade I married the harvest king.
Side note: I love mining the most and always grind out the most mining.

For a while the only farming simulator I played was Stardew Valley. Being absolutely infatuated with that game, I made sure to try the games it was inspired by.

The modern Story of Seasons games are decent, but none of them particularly blow me away. They kinda feel like the bare minimum of what a farming simulator can be. Trio of Towns has a great selection of characters though. I loved seeing how each town’s culture interacted with one another.

Aside from a little Friends of Mineral Town, the only retro Harvest Moon game I’ve played is A Wonderful Life. The PS2 “special edition” is a clunky mess. There are loading screens everywhere and the game slows to a crawl while you’re outside. It’s almost unplayable. The GameCube version on the other hand is fantastic. Everything moves at a decent place and the characters are very pleasant. My only complaint is that the game isn’t very good at conveying how to sell items. I had to do multiple Google searches just to sell some milk. Despite that I’d say it’s my second favorite farming simulator (only the GameCube version).

What do we all think about the Direct announcement?

I played it originally on PS2 (which I've heard is inferior to the GC one haha) so I'm wondering what they'll change in the remake. I remember as a kid sleeping a lot to through to rush through time, I hope there's more to do in this one or that it's a bit faster paced personally.

Reviving this older thread for a minute!

I started playing Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town last weekend, and I'm really enjoying it. I have quite a lot left to achieve.

My only complaints so far are that I'd like to have a dirt path (which I don't think I can make?), and secondly, there are so many maker machines. I started placing them all next to each other, but as I build more and more, it's just too many machines. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to place them so that my farm still looks cute and farmy, and not like a factory! 😅 Open to ideas?! Minor complaints.

This is my first Story of Seasons game, but I think I'd like to get the Story of Seasons: A Wonderul Life remake next month too.

Reviving this older thread for a minute!

I started playing Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town last weekend, and I'm really enjoying it. I have quite a lot left to achieve.

My only complaints so far are that I'd like to have a dirt path (which I don't think I can make?), and secondly, there are so many maker machines. I started placing them all next to each other, but as I build more and more, it's just too many machines. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to place them so that my farm still looks cute and farmy, and not like a factory! 😅 Open to ideas?! Minor complaints.

This is my first Story of Seasons game, but I think I'd like to get the Story of Seasons: A Wonderul Life remake next month too.
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! I'm currently on Winter year 1. The maker machines are the worst thing ever. I have them shoved close to the beach but they're still an eye sore. I've basically had to limit myself with them by only having some out at a time or otherwise it'll look like a factory like you said. Honestly the maker system is my only complaint about the game. I love how many varieties of animals you get. I come from Harvest Moon DS so this was quite the upgrade!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! I'm currently on Winter year 1. The maker machines are the worst thing ever. I have them shoved close to the beach but they're still an eye sore. I've basically had to limit myself with them by only having some out at a time or otherwise it'll look like a factory like you said. Honestly the maker system is my only complaint about the game. I love how many varieties of animals you get. I come from Harvest Moon DS so this was quite the upgrade!
I just put a bunch of the makers in storage too, and I'm much happier with how my farm is looking!

I love the variety of animals I've gotten so far as well! They're pretty adorable. I can't wait to expand my barn, or get a second one! 😊🐮

Glad to see I'm not the only one put off by makers in Olive Town! They're ugly and take up so much space. Olive Town is in dire need of a physical building to throw all of those in.

I think I made it to fall of year one before it annoyed me (using a maker to make one thing that was then transferred to another maker to make it something else,) and having to repeat that process so many times. I felt like I needed multiples of all of them to churn out more items, but I didn't have the space. Other than the makers, I remember enjoying everything else about the game immensely (except for the silly puddle mechanics with the bucket). Maybe I'll need to try starting a new save and make use of storage - only bringing the makers out for one in-game day before throwing them back in.

///

As a side note, the Marvelous showcase yesterday announced a new Story of Seasons game was in development with a focus on multiplayer. It'll be interesting to see how that takes shape.

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one put off by makers in Olive Town! They're ugly and take up so much space. Olive Town is in dire need of a physical building to throw all of those in.

I think I made it to fall of year one before it annoyed me (using a maker to make one thing that was then transferred to another maker to make it something else,) and having to repeat that process so many times. I felt like I needed multiples of all of them to churn out more items, but I didn't have the space. Other than the makers, I remember enjoying everything else about the game immensely (except for the silly puddle mechanics with the bucket). Maybe I'll need to try starting a new save and make use of storage - only bringing the makers out for one in-game day before throwing them back in.

///

As a side note, the Marvelous showcase yesterday announced a new Story of Seasons game was in development with a focus on multiplayer. It'll be interesting to see how that takes shape.
Oh god, the bucket. I forgot about that. I have so much clay due to it. They really needed to fix the spawn rate fo puddles. It literally would take my entire day to just clear my whole property that I gave up and only focused on my main area.

Oh god, the bucket. I forgot about that. I have so much clay due to it. They really needed to fix the spawn rate fo puddles. It literally would take my entire day to just clear my whole property that I gave up and only focused on my main area.
Omg, I know. Who thought that was a good idea? 🙈

IIRC, you can get something automated later, but it just seems like another unsightly thing to add to the farm.

I was really feeling an itch last year to play and was interested in the remakes but wanted to try something new, so I picked up a copy of Animal Parade!

However, I have not played it in several months oops. I was still in the very beginning of the game. I'm a bit busy now but hopefully when things calm down I can get back into it and use a guide to remember what to do in the story.

Back