• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games that your regret buying/getting

f.....fire emblem warriors.....😅 i really loved hyrule warriors and thought few would be cool too...it was for a little while! and i really like awakening's cast (half the reason i got it was to play as my daughter lucina...) but a lot of the characters in that game dont have unique movesets, unlike hw where legit every character was unique,,,ran out of stuff to do really fast too 😔 additionally i dislike fire emblem fates and it had such a HEAVY focus on it...wack

edit: its a real shame abt cyberpunk 2077, it has so many problems and from what i've heard is really kind of an embarrassment to the genre 😔😔😔 i really like the idea of cyberpunk (the genre) and i love the aesthetics, but i knew this game was troubled from the get go so thankfully i wasnt ever in danger of having it be a regretted purchase!

Last edited:
Three comes into mind immediately:

1) final fantasy XV. This was another majorly hyped game, in the brewing for over a decade and failed to deliver up to expectation. The gameplay itself was fine, open world map what not and cool graphics, but the story is a major let down. I’ve seen the infamous 2013 trailers, of what was then final fantasy versus xiii - looked like a complete different game to be honest if not for the character design. Too bad we could only speculate what it could’ve been had tetsuya Nomura continued on the project. this one disappointed me the most, because I paid full price for the game on release day and it was a major let down.

I personally really like FFXV, but I will say that I didn't buy it at launch, when the game was still buggy and incomplete. It's pretty darn good now!

The only downsides now are 1) part of the story is told in other media (a movie, some anime, etc), and 2) there was some stuff that was planned to be put in the game as DLC but then Tabata left Square Enix. That story has been created as a novel, but it's just more other media shenanigans. The game is perfectly enjoyable without the other media, but there's pieces of the story that are harder to understand without it.

Personally, not sure if Nomura would've made it better. But I have strong opinions for Kingdom Hearts, feeling like that entire series is way overhyped, and think it might've been better without him.

I personally really like FFXV, but I will say that I didn't buy it at launch, when the game was still buggy and incomplete. It's pretty darn good now!

The only downsides now are 1) part of the story is told in other media (a movie, some anime, etc), and 2) there was some stuff that was planned to be put in the game as DLC but then Tabata left Square Enix. That story has been created as a novel, but it's just more other media shenanigans. The game is perfectly enjoyable without the other media, but there's pieces of the story that are harder to understand without it.

Personally, not sure if Nomura would've made it better. But I have strong opinions for Kingdom Hearts, feeling like that entire series is way overhyped, and think it might've been better without him.

Yeah I think you are right - the story during initial release felt like in particularly incomplete and I was especially disappointed by how they choose the handle the romance between Noctus and Lunafreya (to me the way they portrayed their bond resembles more like one between siblings than lovers/couple). Perhaps this is later remedied in DLCs or other medias like you said. I did hear about a spin-off movie and the anime, but didn’t know there’s also existed a novel. I may have to check them out now since I’m kinda curious on how they decide to patch up storyline. Can’t really comment on kingdom hearts though since I never really played any of the main titles (only played dream drop distance on 3DS but I think it’s more of a spin-off?)

i have two one piece games, one for the ps4 and one for the 3ds and they're both pretty much garbage, even if you play against friends. it's so boring and monotenous.. i feel like most games based on animes are terrible nowadays though. while i'm at it, although it's a cartoon, but the korra game for the ps4 is also pretty damn boring and has pretty much no replay value. the graphics are okay, but the cutscenes with an animation barely resembling the tv show look very awkward and the story is just not good. the combat system is fun, but you only unlock all your powers after the mainstory and by that point you've already played through every stage. the levels are very samey samey and the enemies are copied and pasted with some color palette changes, completely uninspired.

Pokemon sword. I have never gotten into the series before but had heard great things about this game. I found it pretty boring and not within my particular gaming interests. It was slow, not immersive, poorly designed in terms of graphics- t(his isn't a huge issue but it doesn't help) and just didn't have anything interesting about it. Catching or battling pokemon wasn't particularly fun. That being said, I can understand why a Pokemon fan would adore this game, it's just not for me. Luckily I didn't pay much for the game so I was able to give it to a friend who would appreciate it more.

Only other game I can think of was on the DS.

Sonic colours: Never was a sonic fan and this was no exception

the ratchet and clank remake was such a disappointment ;; and i loooveee those original three games

almost everything in my library. My library went from maybe 25 games to almost 150 in one year and now I face the dilemma of one at a time vs. playing them all here and there. Makes gaming way more stressful than it needs to be :(

I saw a few videos on YouTube about this game called House Flipper. The videos were really cool and basically you went around flipping houses to sell again.

I paid $30 for it on Xbox and it sucked. The graphics looked bad, the game was poorly designed as I couldn’t even do some things it was telling me to do, and the gameplay was really boring... welp.

If you want my honest opinion? ACNH, not that I hate it but it's... underwhelming compared to how people were making it look on social media.

Still playin' tho.

Most games I buy I research enough about them to hopefully make sure I won't be dissatisfied but these are a few where I probably didn't research enough and wound up not liking them much.

Super Mario Party for the switch. I grew up loving almost every mario party game that came out, but this one was lacking in a lot of ways. Not enough boards and disappointing online gameplay.

Fall guys. I thought it would be a fun game to pass time but realized there were too many cheaters and just rude people on the game. It brought down the experience a lot plus just the game in general got old quickly.

Genshin Impact. I thought it was awesome it seemed to be inspired by one of my favorite games (BOTW) but playing it I realized this wasn't just inspiration, it went beyond that and every second playing I just wound up being reminded of BOTW and craving playing BOTW instead. To me it's not even that it seems like a cheap copy of BOTW, it's like a very well done copy with a couple changes here and there, but those changes aren't exactly to my liking so I thought there wasn't much point of me playing.

Shadow of the Colossus for sure. While the first two Colossi were fun, the third was so annoying to fight that it killed any interest I had in the game. Wanted to give it another chance and went to fight the fourth, but I just didn't feel like playing anymore.

I got a copy of Miitopia two years ago, enjoyed playing through it, and still do enjoy it! However, now that a Switch port has been announced that looks better graphically and has more customization options, I sort of have a bit of buyer's remorse. I don't really want to buy the game again so it's just kind of a bummer.

Fire Emblem Awakening greatly disappointed me since it felt like a departure from what the series had been up to that point, and opened the floodgates to the generic anime and fanservice sort of stuff particularly in Fates, but also with regards to stuff like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and some of the stuff in Heroes. There's not much I enjoy about Awakening, but I just keep it as part of the collection. The one good thing about Awakening for me is that it threw up the warning signals and saved me from actually spending any money on the Fates games.

Those are the two that immediately come to mind. If I recall any others, I'll make another post.

What are some games that you have regretted ever buying? One game I can think of that I regret getting was My Sims Kingdom, Mario Party DS, and the Cars (The Movie) game for the DS.

I regret buying Mountain on steam.. I don't know.. what I expected. Haha.

My biggest regret was buying 1,2, switch. I thought it would be like Nintendo land but sadly it was not. It has potential but the fact that most of the mini games happen outside the tv is kind of lame. Club house games is a better option in my opinion, it has 51 games vs 1,2 switches selection. To this day I still have yet to pick it back up.

I regretted buying (or asking for xmas) Dissidia for psp (the first one) and selling it for gamestop for crap return. The game did get me interested in FFX, but I really didn’t like it or the story that much.

Tales of Zestiria - then again, I really liked Dezel and his voice actor Daisuke Ono 🥰. Still, was very disappointing.

Fate/Extella - I knew the story was bad and gameplay was repetitve but being a sucker for bonus items i asked for the edition for christmas that had some cards and a wall cloth scroll in it.

Back