• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games like Animal Crossing?

One game I can think of is Stardew Valley. You build a farm, plant crops, cooking, buy animals, buy buildings like barn and coop, talk to other people, and more.

This game is amazing and fun!

Depends. Is the realtime part of the draw for you? Magician’s Quest is definitely the closest equivalent, though I’ve also heard interesting things about recent release Cozy Grove.

Like the interacting with villagers and cozy vibe? Story of Seasons, Rune Factory, Stardew Valley, and cozy sims in that style are where to look. Of them, Stardew has an emphasis on customization, Rune Factory on character development, and for those who haven’t played, SoS is the mother of all farm sims. (Though I recommend Friends of Mineral Town or the 3DS games above newest title Pioneers of Olive Town. It’s fine, but… not their best offering.) Recent games also offer some nice character customization.

In ‘cozy sims in that style’, My Time At Portia features an emphasis on crafting that fans of New Horizons will likely enjoy. Littlewood does a fantastic cozy townbuilding game, with time passing only as you do actions like gathering, complimenting villagers (talking is a free action,) or catching fish and bugs - walking around costs no stamina and thus no time, which is nice because the accelerated time for these games sometimes does get a bit much. I’d say it probably comes closest to the fishing/insect hunting-interior design-social sim combo Animal Crossing focuses on. I’ve heard of a couple interesting fishing-specific sims - Moonglow Bay, Luna’s Fishing Garden - but haven’t tried any of them out yet in detail.

If you want a townbuilder with a more Minecraft-Meets-JRPG vibe, Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a delight I’ve been replaying lately, and the island theme of New Horizons and terraforming caused me to name my secondary character on my island after major character Malroth from this game. Also in RPG with vaguely similar vibes if not gameplay, the 3DS’s Fantasy Life. Less focus on collecting and social, but there’s plenty of crafting and decorating. (EDIT: I just remembered a very important feature in DQ Builders 2’s favor: Do you like the terrible puns when catching fish and bugs in Animal Crossing? This game has puns. Oh, how this game has puns. The central conceit is that the Children of Hargon, a villainous monster cult from the second Dragon Quest game, have a serious foothold on the island archipelago you’re living on for Reasons and have thus outlawed all acts of creation, especially that dastardly Building. I am currently on an island themed around farming, and have managed to convince the local pastor of the island of the magical ways of building and farming. Said pastor’s name is Al. Pastor Al. This happens more than once that I remember offhand, and I played this game three years ago. The puns are TERRIBLE and I cherish them.)

And if you want a really good dressup game and have a 3DS (or the Wii U, I guess) Style Savvy is a phenomenal boutique sim with very, very good fashion options. Three installments on the 3DS, Wii U has the original DS on the virtual console. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
If you are looking for more AC, one option could be to go back and play the old games. Even though they are limited, they can still be fun to revisit.

There's also this game called Hokko Life, but it's PC only right now and still in early access. It looks very inspired by Animal Crossing, but it's probably not the same level of quality. It still looks like it might be interesting, though. Hokko_Life

No one ever mentions this but I think not many know it is like that. Dragon Quest Builders 2 available on Switch and PS4 (and whatever else) you go through the main little story to unlock all the building items and in each world you have to build these super cute facilities. allllll are usable and residents ACTUALLY USE THEM. There's like 100 different usable facilities you can build. I'd recommend looking up some YouTube videos of what others have built, because it's soooo cute, and cool and just there is no limit. You can make a whole island in the sky with your residents. It is NOT blocky and unattractive looking (imo) like minecraft. You grow crops, you can grow special crops, rare crops, make dishes, etc. Dye factories, clothing factories. Etc. Like, please check it out, I believe you will not be disappointed once you can see all this game can do.
EXXZiURUYAAp9gK.jpg
34c58c42f9cf5de6783805eb7742113b.png

The plants and bushes are gorgeous, you can have pink trees whenever you want! You can place fishes and things in the water! You can make an outdoor spa and they use it! You can make an aquarium! Whatever you want, as cute as you want or not.

Screenshot_20211207-131320_Instagram.jpg

This is a small area of my outdoor spa bath!

P.S. it has CO-OP and you can design and build together as well!!!!!!! You have to complete the first island entirely to unlock it though! Everything about this game is superior to animal crossing and everything about it was enjoyable.

Back