• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

For those of you who don't use custom paths, why?

Yes!
The fact that there's no touchscreen for custom designs is a huge problem.
I'm not an artist myself, but I feel like people draw easier with their hands/stylus verses button pushing.
Agreed! I made a rose and vine phone case and I was over it within ten seconds of starting lol. The burning desire to swap to touch screen hit me immediately.

One reason I'll add that hasn't been mentioned yet: limiting myself to the paths the game provides makes it easier to make decisions when designing. Once you get into custom paths, the amount of options you have to pick from can become overwhelming.
I definitely like to use all the items at the game has planned out.
I got the need for customization in this type of game because it's absolutely one hundred percent necessary to have something like that in this type of game. I'm just super jealous of people who have these nice paths and everything and I get jealous naturally.
Like I wish there would be a little update and diagonal pass or like have rounded edges. When I mean by this is that so when you have an exterior curve. Like when you make little heart designs or circles.
I want the option not to have blunt right angles between paths

My only reason: unnatural footstep sounds.

I could've used the "path" a long time ago but the sound of footsteps is a dealbreaker. Also, accidentally erasing them can get annoying in the long run.

I don't like how they look. They just appear out of place with the rest of the game's aesthetic to me.

I think it comes down to just not getting around to it. I’ve used what the game offers purely for convenience and they’re good enough.

For me, it can be very difficult to find a path of the same quality as the rest of the game's graphical style. I've had paths I was interested in, but they just looked cheap and of a much lesser quality that they really stood out and looked bad. In other cases, I also don't like how there are no sound effects, and they don't show up on the map either.

I have used custom paths in the past and enjoyed them, but for my current island, I chose to go for a more classical animal crossing vibe, so I am using the in game paths. I am however, trialing some custom path edging that I think brings some new life to the in game paths. The only downfall is that placing them down on my paths has taken the sound effects away.

I use them sparingly, but in areas where nobody will be running around. They just smudge too easily :(

I don't use 'em either cause they are so complicated.
I think the normal path looks just as great too.

I don't plan on using custom designs for a path on my current island. My biggest gripes with them is the lack of a sound beyond this weird muffled rubber sound, and I hate how it easy it is to accidently erase the path instead of picking up an item. You have to be right on top of an item in order to pick it up and not erase your path.

Beyond that, I noticed lag tends to show up when there are alot of custom designs near by.

The lack of sound effects and also, idk, I'm satisfied with the in-game paths. Custom paths also tend to look fake. I do have like 6 different variations of loose cobblestone custom designs that I use as a pathway in one area of my map, but I also throw in tiles of the in-game stone pathways for the sound

In my old island I used custom pathing and it was super aesthetically pleasing minus a few tearing incidents sometimes when I’m running really fast. It also got annoying when accidentally erasing them when picking up stuff. This time around I plan to use minimal custom path and just go with the in game paths just because of the sounds and at least they won’t get accidentally erased when I’m picking up stuff…

I don't use them because it seemed like every single time I walk/run over a design on the ground I pick it up. would've been nice if placing a pattern with the island design with made it so it couldn't be bothered, like regular paths.

I have one area that I use a custom path - the decking for my treehouse.

I'm not a fan of the sound, or lack of sound, with customs. I also have a very rural design, and most are a bit too much for my look.

I'm happy with the in-game paths.

The only 'custom' path I have is the one I did to have my towns name on the stone path at the entrance to my town. I don't like custom paths because, well simply. they would take up room. I mean, once I put it down, and then I want to use that slot for something else, the custom path is gone. I have alot of face-paint bangs that I use. I also have a few custom things like my flag, and a few for special items.

While pretty, they tend to look out of place, so I only use them sparingly for non-path related reasons.

I like the look of the paths they gave us. When I made paths in the previous game, I just made them straight like that anyway. Areas that are too wild for paths to be appropriate are just left grassy in my game. I think custom paths would bother me too much when looking at them closely.

sounds,, sounds all the way. love the dirt crunch. also imagine running on concrete (especially on a urban island) and it sounds like cloth,, doesn't work at all.

Back