• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does Listening to Music Distract You From Doing Schoolwork?

Does Listening to Music Distract You From Doing Your Schoolwork?

• Yes. Any kind of music distracts me.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Depends on the type of music.

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Nope!

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
Other. I don’t really listen to music that often, therefore when I’m studying all I’m focused on is the work.

Sometimes it does. It depends on how much I'm into the work. Usually songs with lyrics distract me more than instrumental ones.

My brain is so scrambled so often that I usually need music to concentrate. My music taste is so varied that I’ve never really had problems with specific genres, I listen to anything and everything from celtic music, to classical music, to Modest Mouse, to Man Man, to The Doors, to the Talking Heads, to The Growlers- a whole big mix of everything possible. I love music, a lot. But sometimes it definitely depends on my mood.

If I'm not listening to anything I find it very hard to focus, but anything with voices also distracts me, so I typically put on repetitive instrumental music. Animal crossing hourly songs are perfect!

It depends on the type... I find that if it's more trashy rap that I get really distracted because it usually ends up with me dancing in my room and by dancing I mean flopping like one of those car wash mascots

personally, it depends on the type of music and the type of schoolwork (i.e. math problems vs. readings)

when i was pre-med, my roommate's bf visited our dorm often & he was annoying and distracting so i listened to 'epic music' on youtube at full volume lol

now i prefer to listen to lo-fi music at a low to medium volume for just about anything

Music actually motivates me. But that's ONLY if I chose the music & it's what I'm in the mood for. Otherwise, if it's someone else playing the music it's a complete distraction. Use headphones please.

I agree that it depends on the work. If it's something that I have to focus on really hard, then music can be distraction because i like to sing the lyrics in my head and the work and the music tend to fight for what my brain is working on xD

Back