• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think villagers are different ages?

I don't think I've ever thought about the villagers as having specific ages or age brackets, but I've definitely thought about them having different levels of maturity.

Fang is a cranky (and has the cranky, sometimes age-related dialogue), so he's a bit more mature. Dobie's whole appearance is a bit older, but Curt on the other hand, doesn't feel quite so mature, so I think even with the same personality type they can feel different.

Other villagers, like Joey (lazy) and Axel (jock) feel less mature because of their appearance.
edited for spelling! ๐Ÿ˜†

Last edited:
Most of the Kangaroos are definitely adults as all the females are mothers and Walt is sort of like a grandpa type villager. Rooney is a bit harder to place but Iโ€™d say heโ€™s at least a late teenager at the earliest and young adult at most. The Bears also are all different ages as some seem much older than other villagers and there were the two from the earliest games that were confirmed to be father and son.

I don't think I've ever thought about the villagers as having specific ages or age brackets, but I've definitely though about them having different levels of maturity.

Fang is a cranky (and has the cranky, sometimes age-related dialogue), so he's a bit more mature. Dobie's whole appearance is a bit older, but Curt on the other hand, doesn't feel quite so mature, so I think even with the same personality type they can feel different.

Other villagers, like Joey (lazy) and Axel (jock) feel less mature because of their appearance.
That is actually a really good point !

Of course, some personalities like cranky I immediately think are older due to their dialogue and interests, but in my villager canon, everyone on the island is "older" than like, 18 at the minimum. I'd like to think they are older if they are going out on their own on this desert island package. Maybe it's because they are mature enough to do so? Or that I also don't want to be responsible or baby anyone on the island lol. I thought that way in all the games actually. Even though it doesn't really apply, I like to look back on the ACNL April Fools guide when I imagine background stories about my villagers and assigning their age. For example, my Hamphrey (cranky) seems like a benchmark for the "oldie" on the island - he wants to be a fisherman and is the eldest of eight. My past villager Freya (snooty) however, I imagine to be a similar age to Hamphrey - she's also the eldest of her siblings and wants to be a judge. Sure, young folks can have aspirations too, I just think some are more suited for like... a certain age bracket than others lol. The "youngest" on my island would definitely be Dizzy. But that's only because I imagine that he's somewhat related to my other villager Cyd, and that they look out for each other. I don't know - but I guess when it comes down to it when not considering dialogue (which is pretty bland in this game) I'd just assign by appearance if I didn't do further research.

Never thought about it, but apparently I don't have any "cranky" villagers. I've assumed that all are young adults.

Back