• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think villagers are different ages?

apeisland

primate and tucker lover 💗🦣🦧
Bells
I don't know if this topic has already been adressed, I have been looking and haven't found anything but sorry if I'm wrong.

I have noticed some villagers appear to be older tan others. For example, Cesar always talks to me as if he were the stereotype of a "boomer". I can't quote the specific language he uses because my game is in Spanish, my native language, but he even references how techonology is the decay of civilisation, how "kids today" will turn out... I thought maybe it was just with me but the other day he was talking to Boone and Boone was saying that Cesar was "too old" and he was worried thy couldn't play some game since it could be dangerous for "the elderly". He kept making jokes about it and Cesar angrily answered, calling him "youngster".

I am guessing this age thing probably has to do with personality types? Have you noticed this too? Cesar is a cranky gorilla. I have noticed for example Deli, a lazy monkey, often references his mum, which makes him appear younger ("I brought you a present because my mom told me it is polite to do so" he says when he comes over). Also, Tucker, a lazy elephant, always references the toys in my home and expresses he likes them, pointing out they are "not only for kids" and in toy day he told me he loves the day because we can get toys without being considered immature.

You tell me.. what is you experience with age in animal crossing? Have you ever thought about it? Maybe it is well known and I didn't know !

Last edited:
I think Cranky villagers are the only ones that specifically talk about their age and they usually talk about being older. Jock villagers are probably on the younger side given that's when they are at their physical prime. Peppy villagers seem younger because of how energetic they are. The other personalities feel like they fit in all age groups. There are some villagers who look older or younger by their appearance.

Cranky villagers frequently mention or hint towards age. I think it’s because of their personality, like a cranky old soul. I haven’t thought about villagers having an age, but I rarely ever think about age in real life anyway. Very rarely do I talk to someone and their age is fresh in my mind.

I like to think so. There's one wolf villager that is cranky and I think likes to read books and he seems like he is much older than others. Gives off the air of living through many things and just wanting to take it is like Joel from the Last of Us.

I'd assume so. Cranky villagers are definitely older, and I'd say Snooty is older (but not as old). Peppy, Jock, and maybe even Lazy seem a bit younger, but as the above said, I'd say all the other personalities could fit a range of ages from really young to a bit older. Obviously, appearance is a factor too, like Dobie definitely being much, much older.

Several villagers definitely show age because of their designs, such as Dobie, as mentioned above, being a grandpa compared to other Crankies. Or Joey probably being the youngest because he's eternally wearing diapers. Boomer also looks mature compared to other Lazies. Female kangaroos are all mothers, which put them above most female villagers. There's also the robots (Sprocket, Ribbot) which are technically ageless.

I really hope in the next Animal Crossing game they will focus more on villagers aging and one day actually have different personaltiies to them. I don't want to meet the same villager who talks the same way as the others. To answer the OP question no they are no different and if they didn't talk the same way as each other maybe it would've been more interesting.

I say that the older villagers are Cranky/Jock/Sisterly/Snooty/Smug and the youngest are Normal/Peppy/Lazy. Thats how I see it in my opinion.

Not with specific villagers, but with personalities. I imagine that jock, smug, peppy, sisterly, and lazy villagers are on the younger side; Normal and snooty villagers are mid, and obviously cranky villagers are the oldest.
There are certain villagers who look young / old, like Dobie. Makes sense that he's a cranky villager. But then I guess it makes all the other crankies look younger?

Yes and no in my opinion. It's more of a personality thing than age cannon is how I see it. For example there are young people today who act old, and old people today who act young in similar ways the ac dialog speaks. I feel like that is what it is trying to reflect. You know old people enjoying things like carnival rides, jokes, and plushies. Younger folks criticizing thier own age group but calling them kids, annoyed with tech, or wonder why things can't be more of thier definition of simple and straight forward.

But if you want to view it as actual age rather than a personality quirk regardless of age... Impo...
Older: snooty cranky
Midage: smug normal jock sisterly
Younger: lazy peppy

I see their ages in ranges based on personality, with design then swaying them to the older or younger side of that range:

Cranky: 50–80
Snooty: 30–50
Normal: 25–35
Smug: 25–40
Sisterly: 20–25
Jock: 15–30
Peppy: 15–20
Lazy: 10–40

Lazies seem to have the widest range to me, because some look like children (ex: Joey), some teenagers (ex: Sasha), some adult (ex: Punchy), and some middle aged (ex: Boomer) or even older.

Snooty is interesting too, because some read as young women (ex: Whitney) and others clearly middle aged (ex: Blanche). Same with jocks, where most are probably in their early 20s, but a few skew noticeably more childish (ex: Dom) or mature (ex: Bud)

I used to not put much thought in it when I first played the original gamecube version. Like I just assumed they were all the same age as young me lol. Which didn't make sense, but I just went with it at the time.

I don't think the villagers are different ages so much as the personalities. So like Snooty, Smug, Jock, Peppy, Normal, and Sisterly are in their mid 20s or early 30s and cranky are 50ish.

Cannonly I believe the villagers do have some age? But it kinda varies per design?

For example Dobie looks pretty old, while another cranky wolf Chief looks pretty young. So I think its mostly up to the player to decide. Because Chief doesn't really strike me as being an older villager. So I think its up to the player to decide they're villager's ages, regardless of appearance.

I think I just assign the age I feel they are when I'm talking to them. Marshal and Beardo are the same type but Beardo seems much older to me. So, that's how I end up thinking about them. lol I could be insulting them this whole time but have no idea.

When I picture the villagers on my island, I tend to imagine them as being more or less the same age, except for those who have features or design elements that make them look older.

Back