• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you prefer voice chat or text chat in games?

I tend to prefer text chat, especially if there's strangers.

If I played more games that require lots of coordination on the fly, voice chat would probably make it easier but I don't usually play games like that.

The only recent game where I absolutely hate text chat is NH, typing is such a pain! I know you can use the app to make it easier but if I'm not using my phone it's just so clunky.

While text is really frustrating I couldn't do voice chat, I'm too shy and anxious for that stuff. Would consider it with a friend though
Post automatically merged:

Even better if I can get away with just using emotes when around strangers though

Text chat for strangers and voice chat for friends. Co op and boardgames are just so much faster with voice chat.

Simply put...I hardly ever play online with anyone. If I'm playing with friends, I would definitely prefer voice chat...but I usually can't do that because of the hours I would be doing that (other people in the house would be sleeping during these times). So...yeah, if I do play online, I'm usually forced to just text with my friends on the phone, because that's the quickest way for me to communicate when it would otherwise be too loud to actually talk on a headset.

I prefer text with strangers and voice with friends and people I'm close with. I'm very awkward and easily nervous around people, so I tend to avoid voice chatting with random people.

For random people I definitely prefer text chats. In Rocket League I have met a few strangers through games that I got along with so well that we partied up though, and I've switched to voice calls a few times when that happened!

That's honestly the only game I can think of where I voice chatted with random strangers though. I hate it in most games.

Unless I am playing with friends, of course, because being able to communicate without interrupting a game is obviously nice.

Text. I don't really ever play games with voice chat. I could see myself playing voice chat games with friends but if it is strangers there is no way I'd ever feel comfortable using voice. Especially because my voice is effeminate and I don't want people to be rude or make fun of me when I'm trying to relax or have fun playing a video game and gamers are notoriously homophobic and gross.

Text chat. Don’t talk to me, I can’t stand it lol

usually text chat, i'm way too insecure to use vc unless its with really close friends. seriously, people always comment on it. >:/

text chat always! only game I ever remember playing with voice chat was COD and even then I always had my mic muted. I just liked listening to all the dumb stuff people had to say. I’ve never tried the voice chat feature on the Nintendo app yet though. wonder if it’s any good? I’d probably still stick strictly to text chatting regardless though, less awkwardness.

this must make me pretty "old school"... but i prefer my games without any chat, text or voice :)

Text all the way! I can't type fast but it's better than being screamed at for being a girl.

I prefer text chat with strangers. You never know when some troll will yell in their mic. With friends I prefer voice chat. Tone is easier to pick up through voice and you don’t have to multitask with a keyboard.

Back