• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you prefer voice chat or text chat in games?

I definitely prefer text because whenever I’ve been in voice chat people have always made comments about my accent lol, I don’t mind it if I’m playing with irl friends though

Text chat most definitely. I’ve always gotten made fun of in the past because I have a lower voice for a woman. I think it’s pleasant but other people have told me it’s not girly enough. So me and my “man voice” decided to bypass the anxiety around that and text chat! 😂

Text chat. I can’t imagine doing voice chat with a bunch of people I don’t know, I’d be way too nervous. But if it’s with friends I know IRL, then definitely voice chat!!

Definitely text only when I don’t know the person. However, for friends and family, voice chat is nice to have. Get messages across faster than text.

If I can use my mother language and I play with at least one friend I know irl, I'm ok to use voice chat otherwise I prefer text.

Text. The few times I did vc with random people on discord, I hardly spoke because I was afraid of how my voice sounded compared to the rest of them. But for friends, I'm fine with vc. I mostly don't like vc because of the fact that people judge me cuz of my voice. I'm just more comfy with texting.

I don't play games that require voice chat, but I remember once I wanted someone's help to clean up my island and I offered to explain everything over voice chat!

I'd probably prefer text though if I ever did play with randos online since I'm a ~girl~ and don't wanted to endure certain comments ha ha...

I like voice chatting a lot. It depends on the game but if it's more casual, I will definitely try it out with strangers. Talking and being able to hear other people's voices is fun.
I also don't mind typing/texting either.

Usually I prefer text chat, though I recognize that for games like shooters you basically have to use voice chat if you want your team to be coherent.

voice chat for friends, text for strangers I guess. honestly the idea of talking to people I don't know in online games really irritates my social anxiety. games like overwatch have ruined both voice and text chat for me tbh

I prefer text chat though i used to use voice chat in overwatch. I no longer play overwatch (mostly because i have no sub) and either way, I always prefer text chat since i really can’t articulate my thoughts or form my thoughts fast.

text in general, voice for friends. honestly i don't really like to talk much in general when i'm playing multiplayer games unless i have to, and so in that case i'd prefer text chat -- but i play a lot of games with my friends that require voice chat to work smoothly (we've been playing don't starve together lately, for one, and i think it's a lot easier to warn them that i just accidentally spawned a giant tree monster verbally than via discord chat) so if it's with people i'm comfortable with, i'm good

I think it varies depending on the game and who I'm playing with, but generally I prefer doing voice chat with my friends, but text chat with people who I don't know or who I'm not that comfortable with.

I use text chat. I don’t like my voice, and honestly I keep my gender a secret when playing online. I’ve had a few people on XBOX Live harassing me and telling me I should go back to the kitchen after finding out I am a female. That’s why I’ve stopped using voice chat. I used to use it all the time during online play for NHL, but half the tine people would literally ask “who’s the chick?” after I say even one word. It’s a shame that people freak out if they see a girl playing sports games online.

I like the idea of voice chat, simply for speed, but I haven't tried it, and I still prefer text.

i prefer text chat. if i did voice chat my mom would yell at me for talking to strangers, and plus i dont think anyone would want to hear my voice.

Back