• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you prefer voice chat or text chat in games?

Text chat, I have phone anxiety and that absolutely transfers over to voice chats.

This, the only people I can talk to is like authority people because I can go into that role...I hate talking to family and relatives.

Voice for close friends and text with acquaintances and strangers. I'm really anxious about speaking / my voice / potentially not understanding someone's accent / having mine misunderstood, so I tend to only feel comfortable talking with someone I've known for a while. Though I do actually feel more comfortable talking to someone new while I'm already in a group call with close friends. That's kind of dumb, I guess, but it just reassures me ;v;

I'm lazy. So I feel using voice is faster/easier - if it's with people who speak my language Japanese. I like talking through voice with people who speak English too. But the thing is, my listening ability is not so good. ( It's getting better and better as I'm taking a class, so. Still; ) So, if it's those who talk in English, I need them to be people who I'm personally close with, so I don't feel very uncomfortable when I have to ask what they said, when I didn't get them partially.

Text chat is fun in different way also. But from personal experience now I know sometimes the person I think I know is very different from how they actually are, when we only use the text chat. So... if I had better ability of listening in English, voice chat, I think.

If the typing is especially tedious I prefer talking. I wish there was a voice option in AC:NL. That would make online play a lot more fun.

I prefer typing if its with complete strangers otherwise i just feel so awkward but if i'm playing something with my friends i'd rather voice chat as it is more fun than just typing, i rarely ever play games with my friends so mostly im just text chatting.

Voice chat with friends only on Xbox live but no way with randoms. It can get toxic in certain gaming communities if they hear your a girl, sadly.

i'm fine with both honestly
either way, finding people that you just seem to really click with is always a blast

Last edited:
I prefer voice chat in many of the games I've played. For me, it is a quicker and easier way to communicate.

I prefer text chat. I wouldn't want other players to accidently hear someone else talking to me in the room for example. Also I play Assassin's Creed online and not all, but a lot of the people who use voice chat tend to swear a lot. It annoys me and I have to turn the sound off, which makes it hard to know when enemies are nearby.

Text chat, but i would like to try voice chat sometime :p

I always use voice chat via other software when playing with friends or in my guild. Otherwise I really dislike when games come with voice chat by default.
Hello, Steam? :mad:

I prefer voice but have to use text because I have a paralyzed vocal chord and if I overuse my remaining functioning vocal chord I lose my voice.

Unless I'm playing with my siblings, I prefer using text chat. I find voice chat to be a lot easier, but I feel really shy using it with strangers or people I've only met over the internet.

I want to use voice chat since text is so inefficient but most people don’t wanna voice chat, and I don’t like my voice either so :)

I prefer voice chat because text chat is too hard when you need to communitcate something quick to your teammates. The downside to voice chat is people just being plain rude because of what you sound like. Or y'know. 9 yr old squeakers who constantly threaten to blow my house up or something

Well, I never tried either of these. I would do voice chat but I’m a bit shy on that and I wouldn’t want my family members to find out who I’m talking to. I would love to if my shyness over voice chatting didn’t take over.

Back