• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you prefer anime, or manga?

Which do you enjoy more?

• Manga

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Anime

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters
less of a preferences of one or the other and more of a focus on the quality of it tbh

there's been plenty of great anime, both adaptions and original works. alongside not so great ones that come from otherwise solid source material, and the same can be said for manga too

Manga. Anime tend to usually miss a few things or include filler arcs that have no real impact on the manga its based on, which is always canon. I also usually read the manga first then watch the anime and not the other way around. One Piece is a good example. The manga gives me the new info and the anime fills it in later in animated form.

I used to watch a ton of anime but these days I'm more into manga.

Animation is one of my favourite mediums and I do still sometimes watch anime, but I've been more into reading in general lately and I like that you can go at whatever pace you want with manga. There are definitely appealing aspects to each medium, and there are things you can do in one that you can't replicate in the other. It's a pretty different experience so it's hard to compare them.

Last edited:
I like both, but anime is easier for me to consume because my vision is poor. With manga, I have to squint a lot for physical releases, and constantly zoom in/out digitally.

I tend to gravitate towards romance manga, and enjoy a variety of anime genres (SoL, historic, action, supernatural, sports, drama, etc.).

I would love more of your BL recommendations if you're open to sharing! A few recent ones I've enjoyed:
- Ao no Flag
- Sasaki to Miyano
- Doukyuusei

Honestly I'd do neither, they aren't my cup of tea. But if I had to I'd pick Anime.

No hate to the book fans, but I see that stuff as a snoozefest.

I’m not super into anime, but I also don’t think I could process reading a book from right to left, so I pick anime.

Manga! I haven't really watched any anime in a while, although I did watch some when I was younger, things like Naruto, Pokémon, Sailor Moon, Zatch Bell, and Dragon Ball Z. It's nice to be able to pick up a manga and just read a bit here and there~

I don't really watch/read much of either but I picked anime because it's really hard to get myself to read books these days and it's not exactly cheap to go get them either.
I do have at least one Pokemon manga book and one Zelda manga book somewhere though? I don't know where. I think I lost them in this mess of a house.
It's easier to get myself to watch something though I can't remember the last time I watched an anime and actually finished it... I can't even finish Pokemon.
Do I actually have a preference, now that I think harder about it?

Anime. I don't have the funds for a manga collection and I like to do something else.

i like both

hell girl and angel sanctuary are my all time favs
Post automatically merged:

I have never read a single manga. Anime is much more accessible; I'd have to actively seek out manga, whereas I used to watch anime series on Toonami and [adult swim] back when I had cable, I used to watch stuff on Crunchyroll before they were purchased by Sony and merged with Funimation and given a mandatory subscription fee, and there are a few series on other streaming services as well. As the saying goes, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting anime in today's market. It's everywhere.

That all said, I feel like I ought to make an effort to get into manga. As a creative, I prefer to experience stories as they were envisioned and developed by their authors. That's part of why I watch foreign language movies and most anime subbed instead of dubbed, because dubs can be prone to varying degrees of translators/adapters taking creative liberties with dialogue and such. I realize this is a bit of a poor argument since subs can probably be subject to such issues sometimes, but suffice it to say that if I were to learn whatever language a movie/series/book/etc. was in then I would simply watch or read it in its native language without any middlemen. Additionally, sometimes things from the manga don't get adapted when made into anime, like some aspects in Yu Yu Hakusho. That's one of my favorite anime series and I feel like I ought to read the manga to deepen my appreciation for the series I've loved for so many years.
start with shorter series

i personally reccomend goth as one such example

I used to read a lot of mangas as a teenager, I have hundred and hundred in my bedroom but I don't buy them anymore for years now. Not enough money, no place, I don't enjoy them anymore. So sometimes I watch something. It's rare but it happens. I'm not a big fan of Japan as I was as a young, I prefer cdrama and everything around Chinese culture but still.

I definitely love both. However, manga is so much easier for me to focus on. With never owning a television in my room growing up, I had to resort to watching anime on my computer. But there’s so many tabs that distract me!! I find reading manga easier c:

I like both, and although my manga collection is much larger than my anime collection, I'd have to say I prefer anime. I feel that anime brings characters to life, and I like experiencing the stories in colour and with voices and music.

As of recently, I prefer manga. I find it easier to pull out and just read a few chapters when I have time rather than devoting 20-30 minutes to finishing an episode. I also tend to get distracted when watching things whereas reading I am physically holding something and paying attention to it.

Depends on the title I guess. For example Kakuriyo a bed and breakfast for sports the anime came first the the manga came and it says based on the anime but it is so different from the anime. Other examples Moriarty the Patriot is a great anime but the manga has more story so I would go manga there but the anime is still awesome.

So all in all it depends.

Back