• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you like violent video games?

I guess it depends on what you'd call violence. I don't like gore in my games but I'm fine with weapons. I usually just play 2d games so most of the time the "violence" is jumping on an enemy or hacking/smacking/shooting an enemy and they just turn into coins or something. To me, that isn't violence. It's just common game play.
I also don't like gross sounds in my games either.

I'm more worried about the quality of the game, rather than the violence, itself. I've accepted that video game worlds are often brutal and harsh. Violence is just a natural part of life that bleeds into everything we, as a species, create as art and entertainment.
I am not really a big fan of them...NOT for the sole reason that "tHeY aRe vIoLeNt", I am just not a hardcore gamer. I feel like violent video games get too much hate just for being violent. I get that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that some people just do not like violent-related things, but the problem I have is people blaming these video games for teaching violent behavior when it is the parents/guardians' fault for not teaching their children that violence is wrong.
This shifting of the blame towards works on fiction has been an issue even before video games existed. We've had parents blaming Rock 'n' Roll for "instilling Satanic messages" on to children, and I'm sure books were accused of perpetuating this same thing, as will.

Some people just shouldn't have kids, honestly.

Last edited:
I already wrote that on another thread, but I don’t get why people would like violent video games. Being entertained by the suffering or even death of others is just not right. Of course the characters are not real, but that doesn’t make it any better for me.

If it's fighting games or stuff like TF2 or Splatoon then yes but not a fan of realistic war games.

I don't like violence for the sake of violence, but I think it's sometimes necessary to portray different types of conflict so it would be reductive to say that it doesn't belong in games at all (I don't think anyone here is saying that though). There's violence in real life after all, so it's going to show up in fiction as well. Even so, if it's going to be present then personally I prefer playing games with 'fantasy violence' that's more detached from reality.

I've got some more thoughts on this a couple years later—I don't like gore or over-the-top violence, but my attitude for most things is live and let live, "if it's not hurting anybody, what's the problem" etc. I've never believed in the "video games bad" rhetoric that graphic games somehow make people become violent, which is silly (and a massive oversimplification of how internalizing things from fiction works).

But where games with hyperrealistic graphics are concerned, I keep hearing about animators and artists being pressured into using images of actual death and violence as reference, and I find this really disturbing. I'm not just referring to the MK11 article on this either. I've always assumed that this stuff came from anatomy textbooks and other images in pop culture (which obviously there's some basis in reality for, but I don't think it's necessary for video game artists or us as players to know where that line is), but this is the kind of thing that can take a truly heavy toll on someone's mental health. I don't think most players who enjoy violent horror or the ridiculousness of over-the-top gore find a heavily grounded basis in reality to be necessary (or even remotely desirable) for their experience, either.

Alongside issues like crunch time, etc., I feel like this is a serious ethical concern for the gaming industry.

Yep, stuff like madworld and no more heroes are just some of my favorites to name a few.

Resident Evil is also pretty good too and i highly reccomend marhawa desire and heavenly paradise.

Back