• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you like public transit?

Do you like it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • I have no choice but to take public transit, but I would prefer a car

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have no choice but to use a car, but I would prefer public transit

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
i get this because i've seen it before but i also disagree, only because i know people who have moved specifically to places that have it.

look at japan for example. if that kind of public transit was available everywhere, i do sincerely believe LOTS more people would be in favor of it. it's quick, cheap, runs frequently and usually set up for major areas to get wherever you'd want.
I have visited Japan five times — I already know it’s very good and enjoy it very much whenever I’m there! Even as just a tourist though, I’ve observed shortcomings (Kyoto is an utter disaster in terms of transit lol) and I imagine as a local it would be more noticeable. Some of the examples I had in mind are the same as what Flyfell mentioned: transporting larger goods and getting farther out of the city. I suppose it depends on your personal tastes, but nature is quite important to me. Another important one is end of service time where many cities have their trains shut off not long after midnight, even on a weekend night.

There are also societal aspects that make the experience less desirable here too I think. As an example, NYC has relatively speaking good subway service (all night service too!), but I was shocked by how much noise disturbance and uncleanliness there was. Some better funding could make minor improvements sure, but I believe a lot of is just cultural differences and you can’t simply copy paste Japan over here.

To be clear, I still think public transit is great and we need better services everywhere. I just tire of the attitude I see in online spaces sometimes that it’s somehow a magic bullet without faults and nobody would ever possibly want a car. :p I don’t think that’s anyone in this thread for the record, more of a general thought from say Reddit or Twitter.

By the way, I’d be curious to know what country you’re from Flyfell — I don’t have too much experience with transit in Europe and wouldn’t mind learning more, I’ve only used it in Paris and Barcelona.

yes i generally like public transit. i wish it was cleaner or more on time sometimes but it's a cheap method to getting around instead of ubering so it's necessary for someone who doesn't drive. the only thing i honestly really hate is when people try to talk to u on the bus/train when u clearly don't want to ugh that's the worst 😭

Back