• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you like having multiple save files? Or just one game.

My partner and I game share so technically, I could have two islands.
I used his 3ds for another island on new leaf :3

Was considering creating another character for the house but now that dlc allows you to customize interiors, idk

Prefer more than one file.
With Pokemon you can try out different teams and get more shiny Pokemon. Bonus with the Switch you only need to buy the game once.
ACNL I had over 10 towns. It was nice to decorate the Island/houses in different theme and invite new villagers.
Farm Together allows more than one farm for each profile. It's good for decorating and helps complete Events faster.

I like having multiple saves for all the Pokémon games on the Switch. I can replay each one differently with different teams.

I strongly prefer games that give you multiple save slots—I always get a little nervous if I can't have at least two alternating saves. Which is why I also get a little annoyed with games that have multiple slots, but only let you use them for completely separate playthroughs. Like, I appreciate it, but please just let me sacrifice one for a backup file ;A;

I do also like to have them for replay purposes though, especially with games that have different paths or story options. My original files usually hold a bit of sentimental value to me, so I kinda hate to overwrite them to do another playthrough. I rarely have multiple ongoing playthroughs of the same game going on at the same time, though. Generally in most cases I'll finish one before starting another.

i like multiple save files in case I want to play a game again and not erase my old save. This is especially true with Pokémon because I like getting multiple event Pokémon and then shiny hunt on multiple saves at the same time.

i love multiple save files on games! when i was younger and had to share the main console in the home, it was nice to not have others save over my save file. i eventually loved that i could have a main save file that i could work to complete and the other files were there if there was something i wanted to do play again or do specifically. i love replaying old favourites of mine so getting to do that without losing any work i’ve put in on a main save file is great!

i don’t really play video games anymore except for animal crossing but when i used to play story based games, i would make a separate file to re-experience the story. i only have one animal crossing new leaf save file, i was thinking about making a second file but i kind of put that off for now because i never seem to pay as much attention to second save files as i do with the first.

I like to have one save file for most things. I pour my heart and soul into that one thing and usually stick with it.

There's no logical justification for games to have only one save file. We're far removed from the NES days. It makes sense for games such as Animal Crossing, when it's a part of the simulation (and the fact that your character is essentially a save file, anyway), but why wouldn't a sandbox/open-world game have more than one? Or an RPG? Or Action/Adventure title? This is a trend I noticed during the seventh generation of video games, and it just blows my mind how developers can regress and make these inane decisions. Games should just have three save files at minimum, period. Why would having more than one be a bad thing?

I like having one game save file I have always been like this I don't know why I don't like using up the multiple save files.

I like having the option of multiple save files, though whether I use it generally depends on how much I want to replay the game - it’s nice to have the option of keeping your original save which likely has a lot of hours put into it but still been able to go through and enjoy the game. Agreeing with others that this is particularly good with Pokemon to try out different teams in a new run through.

I often have multiple saves just so I can replay certain parts again and do things differently than before. I also do it to get more of the Legendary Pokémon to keep for trading through Home.

Even though I rarely use more than the most recent save file, I like having the option of more than one save file. There are times that I have gone to the one just before it for some reason and continued from that one instead. With games like Animal Crossing, I don’t really see the point or need in having more than one save file though. I don’t necessarily have any reason, just don’t see a need with other games though, I get a little antsy about it if there is only one save file.

Even though I rarely use more than the most recent save file, I like having the option of more than one save file. There are times that I have gone to the one just before it for some reason and continued from that one instead. With games like Animal Crossing, I don’t really see the point or need in having more than one save file though. I don’t necessarily have any reason, just don’t see a need with other games though, I get a little antsy about it if there is only one save file.
NL I have three copies with different towns only because I have multiple 3DS systems and can trade freely among the different games and always get what I’m searching for.

I always prefer the option to have multiple save files for my games. That way I can always keep a copy of my original playthrough or 100% playthrough or whatever and use the other files to replay the game with. Plus they can also be useful if a game has branching paths and you don't want to replay the entire game to get back to that point, or to avoid any soft locking scenarios, and so forth. It's always been a pain with Pokemon games prior to the Switch, since only having one save file means I'm very hesitant to ever want to replay the game since I'd have to overwrite my save file in order to do so.

I used to have multiple save files, but I never actually needed them. Ironically, in the games I have that do have multiple save files, I never need them, but in AC, I kind of wish it was a feature.

The way I see it is,
There are games in which you are supposed to have multiple save files, (i.e. Minecraft obviously, and others) but the way I see it is that it's generally agreed upon that having multiple save files is intended for games with multiple game modes, like the aforementioned Minecraft, as well as games with a lot of room for different playstyles, (i.e. Stardew Valley) where the way you choose to play entirely influences the outcome of the experience.
Games that don't follow these, however, usually don't get a second save file. Pikmin games, older Zelda games, Mario games, and other video game titles are really only needed to be played once to get the full experience out of the game usually don't get a second save file from me.

I'm too lazy to have two save files at the same time.

I agree that all games should have the option for multiple save files.

For me, I typically only have one main file, and a backup before doing something important in a game (e.g.: event, boss battle).

However, I create multiple saves for different character paths and endings in visual novels. There would be a lot more button mashing otherwise. 😅

Why wouldn't I prefer having options to being forced into only one? Multiple save files should be a standard thing by now tbh. I feel like certain companies are just stuck in a traditional mindset and are too worried about stepping outside of it.

Back