• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you like having multiple save files? Or just one game.

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
The beauty of animal crossing is that you can only have one save file. But in other games you can have multiple.. For me, Im never sure about having mutiple saves. It stresses me out having multiple saves, if I only have one im not stressed, its just a thing I have.

I recently got back into a game I lived but havent played in years, but Im pondering sbout deleting my old file and start fresh. But Ive made lots of progress. Ive just completed everything. So im having a hard time pondering. Even though you can have more then one file. I dont know about having more then one at a time... im curious if anyone else feels this way

Do you like having multiple game files, or just one?

Last edited:
It depends on the game, really. For example in Animal Crossing I usually get bored and wish I could experience it all again but differently (or I just want more villagers than the game allows). However, I've never been willing to delete the current data, which is why I own 3 copies of New Leaf...
Games I'm less likely to want to replay usually have the multiple save file option for some reason. For example, a Zelda game is already hard enough for me. I'm not going through all of that again and yet the option is there.
Pokemon doesn't usually have the option but now it does on the Switch if you make multiple profiles. I might start a new file of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon one day because of this.

I think multiple save files should always be an option, even if you don't plan on using it. It allows players to more easily share their games with other people in their household and is a very convenient method of backing up in case something happens to your main file. There is just absolutely no excuse for any game in this day and age to not have an option. This is literally a time where you can have your cake and eat it, too, but some games--pertinently Animal Crossing but I'm sure there are others--just needlessly restrict this.

As for my own preferences, of course it's going to vary by game. I tend to have only one "primary" save file on most single-player games, but especially in RPG's, I tend to find myself having one or two back-up save files just in case. Sometimes I like to create a new file on other games just to experience the first few hours again, but it's usually a temporary save. For games like Animal Crossing, if by multiple save files you mean multiple entirely separate islands, I'd probably like the option. It would probably mean that if I get sick of one, I can just switch to the other without having to start all over if I ever feel like going back to the old one. With games like SimCity, you eventually reach a point in the game where nothing new or exciting happens for long stretches of time, so having multiple saves with different cities is kind of a necessity just to keep things interesting.

The number of childhood friendships ended because Pokémon only supported one save file in the past, though... Completely unforgivable.

I like having the ability to keep multiple save files and I really think it should be standard on all games. I use them frequently for RPGs and Metroidvania type games as back-ups in case I miss something important, go the wrong way and get stuck, get a bad ending, etc. It's nice having a safety net even though I'm only playing through the games once.

It's also a must if you have multiple people in a household who want to play the same game. Each person should be able to have their own save file so they can play through the game at their own pace. With games like Animal Crossing, you shouldn't have to buy multiple copies for people in the same household to have their own towns or islands. And it's nice if you get bored of your main town/island and want to create a second one without demolishing your first. On a cartridge, I can understand how space could be limited, but saving to the system should have easily resolved that issue.

Having multiple save files is a good thing, because if you are playing a game for the first time you would want a save file where its like your "First Run" file. Then you can make a backup save file in case if there is something in the game that prevents you from doing one thing and you cannot go back to it. Its best to make a multiple save file in case if you mess up and you want to redo like an important story or mission that you just completed and you want to redo again. This is most common on older games where back then "Auto Save" wasn't a thing.

Multiple save files.
I like to keep one as my first run file. If the game doesn't let me backtrack to fully complete, then another as a 100% file. And lastly for single player games, one more to mess with like answering the sassiest answers to given questions, play the game using the worst weapon, or play it in anyway except intended.

As a new Animal Crossing player, I've enjoyed the one file as having one island has enough drama on its own...I can't imagine having to deal with multiple islands and villagers lol. But if you like that, I can see the appeal.

i’m okay with either, i don’t really have a preference. games that allow multiple save files are sometimes confusing for me if i can’t remember where i was at in each save file, but otherwise both are fine. i’ve played and enjoyed games with one save file, and ones with multiple.

that being said, i really wish animal crossing offered multiple saves. i’d love to have a second island in new horizons, but i can’t afford to buy a second game and console to achieve that.

I prefer one to go all out in but I like having the option to have multiple files. I wish games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon allowed multiple files.

Honestly I prefer when games only have one save, just to update

Why I love Animal Crossing, one island!, one save. Only have to work with ten lovely weirdos 😅 ive decided to stick to one island.
--
Oh man id never be able to do multiple Pokemon saves, grinding on two games, preparing for two different elite battles. Noo thank you xD I spend alot of time just grinding, and gaining friendship with them.

Honestly I prefer when games only have one save, just to update

Why I love Animal Crossing, one island!, one save. Only have to work with ten lovely weirdos 😅 ive decided to stick to one island.
--
Oh man id never be able to do multiple Pokemon saves, grinding on two games, preparing for two different elite battles. Noo thank you xD I spend alot of time just grinding, and gaining friendship with them.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree, but in my opinon having multiple save files is good because in case if your file is lost and you somehow have a backup file of what you were progress was like then it would be great. Back on the older games you would use to "Copy" a save file and save it over another file as backup.

I generally use one file, but I think it should be default for games to have 3 save slots. I often keep an older save. Especially if it is completed, and then start a new one. If ACNH had 3 slots, I think people would be less stressed map hunting, and end up having 3 themed islands after the finish building one.

I always love at least having the option for multiple save files. especially with animal crossing, I have 3 gamecube towns (two NA and one JP), two City Folk towns, and three New Leaf towns. If I could have multiple NH islands that would be great, I would love to bring back my old island 🥺

It really all depends on the game for me as well. Depends on how much I like the game and if there's any benefits in having more than one.

I always prefer having the option for multiple save files...and you are first person I have ever heard refer to Animal Crossing's limited save feature as "beauty". Lol. - For me, games are about the experience. And sometimes that means the FULL experience, which means that I sometimes like to play from the very beginning again. But you can't do that in Animal Crossing without deleting your entire progress. So...I think that is an incredibly flawed system.

I prefer games with multiple save files, mostly so other people (like my friends or certain family members) can play my games without having to delete my save. In fact, I'm kind of baffled that some games I play (like Tomodachi Life, Miitopia, and of course Animal Crossing) can only have one save file. I don't wanna have to get another copy of the game just to make a new save, 'cause the alternative would be to get rid of all of my progress.
I like how games like Wii Sports handle this - It's kind of like one big system and all your progress is saved onto the Mii you play, rather than on a singular save file. If you wanna play a sport from the beginning, you can just make/use another Mii and play as them. And since you can have a total of 100 Miis on your console, it's almost like having 100 save files on Wii Sports. Though I can see the flaws and why it wouldn't really work with other types of games.

I always prefer games with multiple save files, especially for ones such as Animal Crossing. I often start new games and revisit old ones from time to time, no matter what the genre.

That being said, I'm also happy with one save file... so long as I have immediate access to it for the purpose of backing it up and starting over whenever I please whilst still retaining my original file. Which Nintendo do not allow even with Cloud saves :rolleyes:

I like having the option of having multiple save files. It really depends on the game if I use the other save files. For me games like Zelda and kingdom hearts I like having extra save files. I love replaying them but want to keep my first play through . So being able to start a new save file for them is great.

Back