• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you keep your handhelds?

I don’t have any older Nintendo consoles/handhelds because I was a wee babe when some of them released. My oldest console was the original XBox and that’s been lost to the sands of time (or my cousin just reselling things, lol). My oldest handheld was an original chunky blue DS (probably gifted to another cousin once me and my sister outgrew it as kids).

I still own:

- pink DS Lite (given as a gift to me so my sister and I would stop fighting over the DS; don't use anymore)

- red 3DS (also a gift, used to play obsessively and bring with me everywhere; don't use much anymore)

- pink/white New 3DS XL (bought it this year to fulfill a childhood dream, slapped a Pompompurin case on it and now it’s my actual baby that I love more than any other gaming device I own!)

- Nintendo Switch (used to play tons but have reverted to my 3DS XL)

Overall I love the 3DS system and game library, especially with custom firmware! So nostalgic and customizable. There's still so much to play, including older DS games. Right now I just rebooted AC:WW and am working through Style Savvy: Trendsetters, Fantasy Life, and Phoenix Wright. Also plan on playing Monster Hunter Ultimate 4, other Style Savvy games, AC:NL, Disney Magical World, the Art Academy games... the list goes on and on. Feels cozy in a way the Switch doesn’t. 💝

edited to fix grammar and add more detail

Last edited:
Generally yes! I have a lot of special edition ones so I wanna hold onto them :p

-Cobalt Blue GBA SP, this one broke so I exchanged it for a Pearl Blue one, and I have kept this one. Still works too!
-Mario Red DS Lite, still have it but I haven't used it since getting a 3DS (over a decade ago!!) so I have no idea if this one still works.
-Aqua Blue 3DS, broke so I exchanged it for a new one. A few years later, I did give the new one to a friend as a Christmas present since I didn't need to hold onto 3 3DSes :p
-AC:NL 3DS XL, still have it but I haven't used it since getting the next 3DS and I think there's mold growing on the left stick and idk what to do about it, help
-Zelda Triforce Heroes New 3DS XL, the only one of these that I regularly use :lemon:

I guess there's the Switch too, but I only ever play it docked so I kinda forget it counts as a handheld.

I definitely still have my 3DS XL, every now and then I get it back out for the nostalgia of old games! I potentially still have an old DS lite knocking about somewhere but couldn't say for sure. I still have my trusty switch lite that I got back in march 2020 which I'm playing a lot more regularly now than I did through a lot of last year, but the left joycon is starting to go so it might be time for me to get a new one...

Nah, I've either broken or given away most of my handhelds, or traded them in.

I've had a golden Legend of Zelda New 3DS XL for ages now, and just recently this past year I ordered a yellow Pikachu New 3DS XL. I'm really glad I did as it was the last one in stock and it's a version of the 3DS I wanted when I was a kid, but didn't have the money at the time to get. I probably won't have to or want to buy another 3DS ever again because of it, so that's also nice.

uVzoFRq.png

The Nintendo 3DS is seriously the greatest Nintendo product ever, I actually own three. :D

I still own the Nintendo DS Lite that I've had since I was a kid. I also still have my old Game Boy Advance SP that I've also had since I was a kid, too, it still works.

I also have the Game Boy Advance, as well, it used to belong to my father.

I still have my old GBA SP, DS Lite, and 3DS XL! I also have a Gameboy Colour I bought at a con several years ago.

The only one I've considered selling at all is my DSL, since it has a few broken bits, and selling it for parts and buying a new one from eBay would be cheaper than getting it fixed at the moment ;-;

The only handheld I still have is my purple 3DS (and my turquoise switch lite ofc). I can’t remember what I did with my grey DS lite (my first console) and pink DSI, but I’m pretty sure I gave them to my cousins. I sold my mint/white 2DS years ago. I was actually going to sell my 3DS as well, but a part of the circle pad broke off (still works though), so the trade-in place wouldn’t take it. 😅

Wow, I didn't even know there was a purple 3DS. It looks so nice.

Growing up poor-ish meant always having to sell the old console to get the new one. I was always a handheld kid. I had a yellow GBC, a rose DS Lite, a pink DSi, a pink 3DS XL and then a regular Switch that eventually got traded up to the OLED version which is much better.

Honestly there was no reason to upgrade to a DSi, but I never really wished for anything else.

I'd like to pick up a 2DS XL because I think they're beautiful, but will I play DS games? Probably not. I'd like to get the Animal Crossing version though just as a collector's item at least.

I keep all my mine I don’t know why but I can’t sell them at all I’ve just got so many memories with them each 😊
I feel you on that. I still have the original Nintendo DS, the bulky one. I received it for my birthday long ago and it came with New Super Mario Bros. 🍄 Some time later, I eventually damaged the top half of the screen in rage over a game. That was the last time I ever threw anything in anger and keeping it in its top-half broken state is like a little reminder of keeping one's peace. A DS having a deeper meaning and an applicable philosophy simply because the top half of it is shattered. What a profound and poetic handheld device. 🙏😊

I sold/selling mine. I don't feel the need to keep them any longer. My favorite was the gameboy advance sp and is still a favorite design of mine.

Back